Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The fuel pump has this thing in it called the fuel pressure regulator, looks like the image below. I believe on our bikes it;s built within the pump shroud. It's only job is to prevent the pump from building too much pressure and blowing the hoses. It basically opens after a certain bar of pressure and vents fuel back into the tank. Most people replace this when they replace a fuel pump as this is a wear item that does tend to fail. It could be the the FPR is venting at lower pressures then it should and starving the bike of fuel at higher fuel requirements.
This is my current suspect, especially with the issue of WOT only reaching 9K, and closing the throttle slightly allows the engine to climb to redline.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I stumbled across this post I somehow couldn't find in the past. Definitely relates very close to my problem.

Unless I have more than one problem, I'm pretty certain it's my fuel regulator/fuel pump. Ordered a Quantum Fuel Pump kit for 110$, so we'll see if that fixes the issue! I'm past 43'000kms on the bike, original fuel pump, so fingers crossed.

It's getting damn cold real fast here, not sure how much longer I'll be able to ride but It would suck not being able to see I found the problem until spring lol.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts