Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

Project 1

211K views 816 replies 40 participants last post by  Hudson 6181 
#1 · (Edited)
So for the sake of not having to continuously update multiple threads im going to bring everything together into a build thread. Should have done this a long time ago.
Prepare yourself for a lot of pic whoring.
Ok so here goes.
Bought my 03 z1000 in march of 2012. 16k miles. Has pc3usb stock exhaust with cats removed airbix mod crg mirrors and a tucked liscense plate.
Here she is the night i went to look at her. Bought the next day.

First thing i did was fit some triumph mirrors

Added an alarm cause i was in love at this point. And some lighting.

New genmar risers i didnt like at first so i took em off then out em back on later.

Then i decided to start blacking out the side. And added some danmoto carbon duals.

Carbon vinyl on side covers

Hid headlights pita

Starter cover mod.

Started making a gps mount for my phone.

At this point i took a break because i was pretty much done with the boltons.

Decided to start working on a custom solo cowl.

At this point im pretty much ready to start laying fiber glass. I got sidetracked with a couple other projects.

Ordered these radiator shrouds off a 2008 z1000. Carbon. Along with indicator lights.

Still havent fitted yet. Made templates for bracketry and what not. Got sidetracked again by another project.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dirty bar conversion.
Found these beauties on ebay.

They didnt fit so i proceeded to chop and polish.

Finally got my bars ordered. Used renthal fatbars for 37$ with renthal pad.

Got them fitted couple days ago.

The riding position is aggressive and wide. I like it a lot. And they look way better than stock bar/clamp combo. Better angle on mirrors also. I only see my arms in about 10% of the mirror without tucking my elbows
Stock versus aprilia unit.

So now im working on upgrading my stock header danmoto cans to a 2002 zx9r header with a muzzy midpipe and can. Snagged everything for 100$ shipped on the bay.

Heres the problem. Outlet sits on pivot bolt (cant be flipped due to kickstand interferance and the dogbones are all up in the way.

The midpipe is ridiculously long. Check it out.

So the plan is to piecut the header outlet to angle it outward.
I already flipped the dogbone bolt for a little better clearance. Gatta cut and weld the header outlet and the midpipe accordingly. Plus im going to shorten the muffler itself. Vht high temp black the can and midpipe so it fades into the background.
So now we are up to date.

#3 ·
Wow. That took forever on my phone. Glad i get paid by the hour. ;)
Forgot a few things. Added a k&n filter. Disabled secondaries and map from faic.
Pazzo levers were a nice addition.
Ordered some protaper pillowtop grips with glue and vibranators to finish up the fatbar conversion. I might machine some risers for the bar clamps to sit on to reduce reach.
They should be here in the morning. Also ordered some new exhaust gaskets to get my exhaust sorted.
New rear tire yet to be installed and fresh motul 7100 waiting for me to change it out.
I think i enjoy wrenching as much as i do riding.
So i still need to finish chopping and fitting exhaust components, layout and cut shroud brackets so i can get rid of those hideous bug antennae front turn signals. And last but not least finish up my solo cowl.
I procrastinate...a lot. But the weathers not been soo hot lately thats the only reason im making progress. I have a lot more that i will eventually do but i wont talk about that.

#5 ·
Let the exhaust carnage begin!
I have to cut the collector end off, cut it at an angle to point it outward. Chop chop.

More tape to guide the angled cut.

I then taped the collector end to the header and mounted it so i can figure out the midpipe. Im going to dit h the hard tab on the muffler for a strap style hanger so i can chop the hell out of the muffler.

So now i need to pie cut the first bend off the collector to match the angle on the cut piece thats installed in muffler inlet. I will add more indepth pics when i break it down to weld it up. So far so good. I have to be careful because i only have 1 midpipe. There might be an easier way to do this but i dont know how. Im pretty much just eyeballin everything.

#6 ·
So my vibranators just came in. And i have to say that someone really did their homework on these things. They came with two inserts 4 stainless bolts and a standard 5/8-11 starter tap. So you have to cut 1" off each end of the bars. Then tap the end of the bars to acfept the inserts. The inserts have flats machined into the end so they can be tightened. Once installed you can bolt your standard barends to the vibranators via the stock m10 thread bolt. Pics.

The best part is that the od on the insert is the same as your standard bar so my mirrors will bolt to the vibranators the same as my stock handlebar. Genius. Once everything is installed you wont even be able to tell theyre there.

#7 · (Edited)
Vibranator installation procedure on my renthal fatbar.
First i seperated switch housings and levers from bar. Then i covered the bike for cleanliness. With a square i scribed a line around the bar 1 inch from the face. And with my cut off grinder i cut inside the line so i could file to the line.

With a grinding wheel and a ******* file i brought the face down to the line square.
Then i broke the edges with my full round file and chamfered the od with a file.

The next step is, with the supplied 5/8-11 tap you have to thread the inside of the bar. If you have never used a tap before this is a step to ask someone for help. If the tap isnt very straight into the bar (especially tapping a deep hole) you will bust the tap. The best technique once you have the tap startdd is a quarter turn in and a half a turn out to break the chip. Dipping the tap in grease will aid in cutting and keep most of the chip on the grease.

Only tap as deep as you need to pull the face of the bar to the shoulder of the insert.

Once youve threaded the bar then all you have to do it bolt on the insert.

Im going to use blue loctite to ensure they dont vibrate loose.
Once you have both sides done, its a good idea to dump loose shavings out from inside the bar. And file break burrs created by the tapping process.
Then just reinstall everything like normal. Basically the insert becomes part of the bar.

It took me about 15 minutes per side to install.

#15 ·
My exhaust gaskets shipped today. Now i have to get on the ball and finish up this midpipe so i can weld it up. Anxious to ride this thing. Been like 11 days now. When i get back in the saddle shell have a new single sided exhaust with chopped muzzy and a new handlebar setup. Maybe new tires also. Going to order my front tonight.

#18 ·
u going to run stock gearing or change it?

#20 ·
man that thing will accelerate like a rocket. been seriously considering going to a 15 t crank sprocket. with stock gearing it seems like it takes forever to get from 145 to 165 mph by the speedo. i figure if i do it i will be able to do 3rd gear power wheelies because my bike will almost do it now with stock gearing.

#22 ·
run it up to 5 or 6000 rpm in 2nd. let off the throttle & then twist it to the stop. should work. when i do that on mine, half throttle & it will hit the balance point perfectly. anything past half throttle on mine & it will 12 o clock or worse unless i let off a little bit. keep practicing, u will get it. i know for sure your bike will do it if u regear it.

#26 ·
on the second gear wheelie note. only way i can get mine up to the balance point only using power in second is to stand on the rear pegs and put my hole 150lbs back as hard as i can. usually around 4-6k in the rpms.... try the rear pegs jerry its a hella rush.:eek:ccasion:

#27 ·
u going to post a sound clip when u are done with the installation?

#28 ·
I had an epiphany on the way home from work this morning.
With my danmoto exhaust i had to mount the hanger straps on the outside of the pass peg bracket because it was soo tight behind.
Well as a result i had the muzzy hard tab on the outside. I walked past it last night on the way to work and thought to myself, man thats stickin out far. Its finally hit me this morning so when i got home i swapped it and now the midpipe has a straight shot almost.
If it werent so early id be out there grindin and cuttin right now. I am 100% sure i will finish up the fitting today. :excited:
I am so ready to ride...

#30 ·
atleast u have another bike to ride. im sure its just not the same as riding ur z1000.

#31 ·
Yea tru. But it is painfully slow. I need new carb boots so its sucking air like crazy. Boggs bad. If i whack it open it dies immediately. But if i baby it she gets me where i need to go. And i can scrape the hell out of the pegs on her.

Update: mockup is finished!

I tried to set the angle of the dangle to match the side cover.
I would roll it out to get a good wide shot but i seem to have misplaced my only key.
Weldup tomorrow am i hope. Still need to chop can.

#32 ·
yeah its ridiculous how long that style muzzy muffler is. mine is the exact same muffler. i chopped it off about an inch away from the muzzy tag. repacted it & its still pretty quiet unless i get on it. i like it that way. keeps me from getting the wrong attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.