Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research and couldn't find much information about swapping wheels between a zx1000 (2011-2013 ninja 1000) and a 3rd gen Z1000.
So, i bought a set of ZX1000 wheels and tried it out myself. And it's a direct swap.
All spacers are the same, EXCEPT the rear brake side spacer. For that you will need to use the ZX1000 spacer.
I like the ZX1000 wheels as far as looks.
I did not get a chance to weigh the wheels and compare.
I am painting my bike next week and will have to remove wheels. I will weigh them then.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-Southwade, i will take more pics tonight and post them. i found them on ebay for $400 for both ( a real steal in my opinion).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like it. Looks good. Kudos for taking the gamble to find out. Looks like it paid off. Let us know if there is a weight difference.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Any word on the weight? I remember when the 2011 Ninja 1000 was introduced. They said the wheels were lighter. Wondering how much, if any.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't weighed my oem wheels yet, but they don't feel much lighter when bare. The SX wheels weighed in at 6.25Kg rear and 4.45Kg front, or 13.78lbs and 9.81lbs. These were weighed on a set of post office scales. The wheels fit with the old spacers, but I bought the rear spacer just to do the job properly, I think it's 2mm shorter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
On a set of home scales, the oem wheels came in at 4.9 kgs front (9.81 lbs) and 7.1 kgs rear (13.78 lbs). So approximately a pound lighter on the front and nearly two pounds lighter on the rear.

I filed down the rear caliper carrier, to remove the unnecessary abs mounting, and fitted a Galfer rear disc, so the rear looks a lot more open now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
-jerryatrophy
I have a track day in a few weeks, i'll let you know how much of an improvement they are. For the street, i feel an improvement but i switched to pirelli corsa tires (had some sport touring tires before) so i think the tires are playing a huge role in the my judgement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love the look I was wanting today do the same swap. I was looking at part numbers and the zx10 wheels have the same as the zx1000 but it has an a at the end does that make a difference or is just a there for what model it's intended for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I can't help but ask how much weight this saved? In the 2 posts that have a weight listed for the wheels the weights are the same. Can Someone clear this up? Thanks Chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read that, but the weights listed are the same for both sets of wheels, the OEM and the SX wheels weigh 13.78 rear and 9.81 front. Just curious. Thanks Chuck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts