Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. 2019 Z1000R 8000km. When turning the bars left or right at slow speed I feel a “notch”. I suppose this is a head bearing problem.

Does anyone know the Kawasaki part number or better still the two bearing reference numbers so I then have a choice of suppliers please?

I read that some z1000’s have ball races instead of roller bearings in the headstock? Bit surprising if so as rollers give a far greater contact surface and hence superior performance.

Anyways, I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this. I think my Z is a Gen 4 (with Ohlins rear shock and Brembo front calipers).

Many thanks, Peter.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The bearings need to be maintained and water needs to be kept from them. That's about it. If theres no grease, if dirt gets in, or they become damaged, the bike wont handle correctly. It sounds like yours are. This would be true with ball, or roller bearings.

There is nothing wrong with ball bearings.. They are cheap, and easy to deal with. They are not as sensative to correct adjustment. Although the roller bearings have some advantages, in this spot they really dont. Less contact and surface area gives better steering feel. That's why they will say the roller bearings are not there from the factory.

·
Registered
Gen 4 Z1000 R Edition
34 Posts
They might just need tightened up. Mine were loose when it went in for a service at about 5000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all. 2019 Z1000R 8000km. When turning the bars left or right at slow speed I feel a “notch”. I suppose this is a head bearing problem.

Does anyone know the Kawasaki part number or better still the two bearing reference numbers so I then have a choice of suppliers please?

I read that some z1000’s have ball races instead of roller bearings in the headstock? Bit surprising if so as rollers give a far greater contact surface and hence superior performance.

Anyways, I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this. I think my Z is a Gen 4 (with Ohlins rear shock and Brembo front calipers).

Many thanks, Peter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. However, still hoping for the Kawasaki part number or better still the two bearing reference numbers so I then have a choice of suppliers please? Many thanks :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Dont automatically assume they need to be replaced. Ball bearings dont get damaged, easily, if the adjustment isnt perfect. The roller bearing does.

This is a scam they have been selling motorcyclists, for years. Roller bearings are awesome, for a horse trailer. Not for steering a motorcycle.

If you power wash, and water has gotten to them, that will ruin any bearing. Up to and including the suspension linkage bearings.

·
Registered
2010 Z1000, full akra, Ivan’s tune, mantris fork kit and Penske shock to come
59 Posts

From Babbitts in the US ( Kawasaki parts house)

however I want to second what other have said, if you’re just feeling a little notchy-ness then you can probably get away with some grease as the bearings are probably still like new from my experience. I’ve had 40+ year old bikes with stock bearings all around I just keep greased

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 85612
View attachment 85613
From Babbitts in the US ( Kawasaki parts house)

however I want to second what other have said, if you’re just feeling a little notchy-ness then you can probably get away with some grease as the bearings are probably still like new from my experience. I’ve had 40+ year old bikes with stock bearings all around I just keep greased
Many thanks for this :)

Answer is:-

Same bearing assembly top and bottom (92045) with different oil seals at bottom (92049) and top (92045A).

Brilliant! :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figure I'm a little late, but this one from K&L has Japanese bearings from NTN, I believe. I have a set on the shelf ready to install in my 2012.

Here's the catalog: K&L SUPPLY COMPANY - PRODUCT CATALOGS

Page 284 has the steering bearings.

Not late at all buddy, thank you very much. This thread is turning into “bearing central” :)

Roller bearings too so all good :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts