Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so when the new 2010 Z1000 came out one of the things they said was it was a improvement over the older 03-07 Z1000 , which vibrated bad. every test i saw of the 2010 Z1000 stated how it was a very smooth engine. my friend has a new 2010 Z1000 and i agree it is very smooth.
here is the problem in the last month i have seen more than a couple of shoot out tests with other brands and the tester states that the Z 1000 has more vibration ?. what gives. i feel even my older 2004 Z1000 is very smooth below 7,000 RPM which is 98 % of my riding. my 04 is at least as smooth as the 02 ZRX i had before. to me one test of vibration is do your hands and fingers get numb on a ride. on most rides my hands do just fine on my 04 Z1000. it seems magazines always find fault with last years bike over this years bike. it sells i guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
so when the new 2010 Z1000 came out one of the things they said was it was a improvement over the older 03-07 Z1000 , which vibrated bad. every test i saw of the 2010 Z1000 stated how it was a very smooth engine. my friend has a new 2010 Z1000 and i agree it is very smooth.
here is the problem in the last month i have seen more than a couple of shoot out tests with other brands and the tester states that the Z 1000 has more vibration ?. what gives. i feel even my older 2004 Z1000 is very smooth below 7,000 RPM which is 98 % of my riding. my 04 is at least as smooth as the 02 ZRX i had before. to me one test of vibration is do your hands and fingers get numb on a ride. on most rides my hands do just fine on my 04 Z1000. it seems magazines always find fault with last years bike over this years bike. it sells i guess.
I don't know about vibs. I rode a '10 z1000( I own an '07) and I don't notice any vibs maybe a little "buzz" above 7000rpm but nothing unbearable. Maybe he was talking about that "buzz" but I agree with you no vibration and i've done 200-300 mile days and my hands are fine. The z1000 is the smoothest street bike I have ever ridden. The only thing that i've ridden that is smoother is a '01 bmw k1200lt (not exactly a street bike!)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not sure about it, either. I've seen the same thing, though. Magazines praised it for being a smoother engine on the '10 release, now I'm seeing it panned for excessive vibration. Motorcyclist, for instance, claims they've observed it on three separate bikes. Then again, they're the same folks who said it was a detuned ZX-10R engine.

My bike is fine for vibrations. It definitely shakes over 7-8k, but no big deal. As the prior poster said, I've done 300+ mile days without a problem. Though I would like a better seat.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Like I said I own a 2007 and have test rode a 2010.If I closed my eyes and rode both bikes back to back I could not tell the difference .I do think the 07 is more refine then the 2010 but that's just me :screwy:never rode a 03-06 so can't compare :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a '10 Z1000 and have been puzzled by the same comments about excess vibration. My bike is very smooth and refined. There is a little vibration above 7k, but nothing "excessive". I have done 250 mile days and had no problems with my hands.

Of the numerous reviews that I have read of the '10 Z, the only ones that I can recall that complain about excessive vibration are in Motorcyclist, and specifically those written by Brian Catterson. By contrast, one of the other magazines described the bike as "Smooooth!" My tastes differ from Catterson's in other ways, and so I am going to simply discount his opinion.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
motorcyclest says some dopy things. like saying a HD engine is more refined than the victory engine. that is a very stupid statment. the HD engine is still a very old design. it would be on the scrap heep if HD riders would let them.
lets se my 06 victory has 100 cubic inches , it has 4 valves per cylender and is a overhead cam. it has a 1 peace forged crankshaft with modern bearings. my victory made 90 RWHP with a pipe and S&S air kit. a 96 inch HD with the same mods might put out 73 RWHP. it is very well made and is bullet proof. yeat motorcyclest stated the HD engine is more refined. what a JOKE.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I have rode a ninja 600 2007 and it vibs a lot more than the Z1000 and feels cheap, But they never say a thing about that.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
875 Posts
i think it's all relative. evrey bike i've ridden since 02 puts my right hand to sleep. 12 bikes total including 4 harley's (883 and 1200 sportster's , 88 ci dyna,96 ci street bob) , 2 zrx's, 1 vtx 1300, 1 concours, 550 suzuki, 750 nighthawk, 750 shadow, and 2010 z 1000. not in any special order. i'm sure it's me not the bike that ahs a problem. could explain varying opinions in the mags.:screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
their is no real vibration
sorry but that is a funny statement :eek:ccasion:, the Gen 1 is a vibrating DON'T piss me OFF animal !!!! I loved that bike and Vibs are just a fact. I have never ridden let a lone seen a Gen 2 in person so no comment. The Gen 3 is very smooth and vib free at crusing speed but above 7 there is a little something. The Gen 3 is the smoothest bike Z I have ever ridden been on a few.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 03 vibrates a lot in the handlebars. Any tips ?

it is what it is,ride loose.
If you have stock bars, some have filled the bars with sand or with BB's to add weight but the vibes will move. They will head down to the pegs and through your knees. If you have after market bars you could put in a bar snake.
basically ride loose and BEAT the crap out of her and she will beg for more :D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just the facts mam, most of my riding is 75 MPH and under. in that range i do not notice much vibes. my friend has a 2010 Z1000 and every time we swap bikes he tells me WHAT VIBES.my ZRX i had before made my hands tingle on every ride. only once in a while does my 2004 ZED make my fingers tingle. in fact i love the feel of my engine going down the road. why would i lie about vibration ??????.
now you want vibration i sold a very org 1984 suzuki GS 1150 es. at freeway speeds 4,000 rpm the plastic faring would drive me crazy vibrating and rattling. maybe with stock rubber mounted pegs and handle bars it makes a big diff. on my ZED.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
If you are feeling excessive vibes check your motor mounts,make sure they are to factory spec?

·
Registered
555 Posts
The first thing I noticed on my '07 Z1000 once I hit highway speeds was excessive vibration or buzz. The bars, foot pegs etc. I mentioned it to the Dealer and he laughed and said that is why the ER-650 is known for the ER standing for extra rubber! They added thicker insolator rubbers it minimize the vibrations.
I even went as far as buying a product called "Vibranators" which darn near eliminated all my vibration in the bars until much higher rpm's. They really did make a big difference and I now ride at higher rpm's comfortably. They just slip in the end of your handlebars or they sell them with barend weights incorporated like I purchased.
Vibranator.com

The mags did say the '10 had tons less vibes when it came out so what happened now?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts