Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen many threads about swapping around sprockets to trade low end punch for better cruise rpm's but i haven't seen this mentioned at all so here goes. decided that instead
of taking my engine apart to just fix a jumping 4th i'd just replace the whole thing with a versys gearbox i found basically brand new and back cut it (was gonna do that anyway). it was almost cheaper just to buy the whole gearbox versus replacing individual gears.

considering being based off same engine and all , the only thing that needed to swap over was a nut over the front sprocket for abs/wheel speed i think? riding it since the swap i feel like i've gotten my cake and eaten it too being an overall improvement i am very happy with , haven't been able to fully test fuel economy and such yet but it can sit at 120kph without buzzing or being constantly poised while gaining some oomph for jumping off lights. 10/10 would do again.
the estimated changes for those who are interested ( its pretty spot on from what i've noticed)
gearbox comparison pic.PNG

Ps : the back cutting seems to have made the shifting feel solid and more consistent. could be placebo idk.

Reactions: rcannon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thats is pretty impressive! Which model model/year versys did the de gearbox come out of?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats is pretty impressive! Which model model/year versys did the de gearbox come out of?

if i remember right it was out of a 2015 klz1000 , i believe 2012-2016 share the same parts.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
So - what does it feel like in relation to the zed`s gearbox ? - i always equate the zeds ratios to an R6 (as ive owned one of those)....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So - what does it feel like in relation to the zed`s gearbox ? - i always equate the zeds ratios to an R6 (as ive owned one of those)....
somewhat easier to launch then feels longer legged with no noticeable loss in acceleration , though i've only fanged it up to just changing into 4th (still getting used to new shift points). 5th is the old 6th and the difference with between the new/old 6th is like floating vs being shoved which is fairly significant.

Reactions: zee monkey

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Wow....nice - while that sounds brilliant im guessing as your in the U.S everything is "more spaced out"

I like my ratios as is for the kind of riding i do (inner city) so that fits perfectly with the ratios but, and its a big one....if ever i have to remove the gearbox then i would consider it....sounds like a nice upgrade/change...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes, gives us more options if to swap gearboxes should we need to replace it!
Brilliant info, this!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow....nice - while that sounds brilliant im guessing as your in the U.S everything is "more spaced out"

I like my ratios as is for the kind of riding i do (inner city) so that fits perfectly with the ratios but, and its a big one....if ever i have to remove the gearbox then i would consider it....sounds like a nice upgrade/change...
nah im in australia , live in outer suburbs so im at the edge of where it goes from light to light fun towards city in one direction and rural highway treks in the other , best of both worlds really. i love the stock ratio's
i just started having a little annoyances with it when going to further away riding spots where you sit on pretty fast highways where people like to cruise at 140kph (even semi's). bike starts getting somewhat buzzy and jumpy. though those things are liveable considering how fun the thing is , wouldn't have changed a thing if my 4th didn't go borky.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yeah i can see the reasoning in that....a couple of years ago i took the zed to the TT so i was on it for a solid week....i cant say ive ever felt that....i just find that in 6th it just revs higher for a given speed much more than say, my RSV4..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i can see the reasoning in that....a couple of years ago i took the zed to the TT so i was on it for a solid week....i cant say ive ever felt that....i just find that in 6th it just revs higher for a given speed much more than say, my RSV4..
that sounds like a mad trip i feel like the zeds are comfortable up to a certain speed (100-120kph) then it declines after that ( wind doesn't help) , i've jumped between this and my dads zx14 numerous times which kinda compounded that feeling and want for longer upper gears since his 4th was my 6th and basically felt like it was idling in comparison. the rsv4 would've definitely been the same lol

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Pre covid we go every year (for the last 10) yeah - its fucking manic.....its like a week long track day with pubs and takeaways thrown in for good measure....cant beat the mountain section for balls out seat of your pants riding....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pre covid we go every year (for the last 10) yeah - its fucking manic.....its like a week long track day with pubs and takeaways thrown in for good measure....cant beat the mountain section for balls out seat of your pants riding....
you had me sold at pubs but damn that sounds like a bikers dream , definitely something i'd wanna dabble in if it wasn't half the world away though it might be a fair while before covids cleared up over there enough to enjoy such things again.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can the gearbox on a Gen 4 be replaced without stripping the engine? I always thought a gearbox change required a complete engine strip.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Can the gearbox on a Gen 4 be replaced without stripping the engine? I always thought a gearbox change required a complete engine strip.
inspection does not require a full strip, it can even be done with the engine in the bike if you don't mind crawling under it and looking up into the engine, but replacement does require breaking the case in half which would require removal. However on our bikes, an engine removal is like 3 hours tops, especially if you got a buddy to lend a hand as you balance the engine on your jack.

I built a wooden jig/buck to perfectly fit around the oil pan so that I could do the whole job on my own without risk of dropping the engine off the jack.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Rob took his out a couple of years back when he kept having problems with 3rd jumping out.... He took the engine out, turned it upside down and did it that way.... So technically split the engine but kept the top end intact....

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

1 - 21 of 21 Posts