Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just found this thread and figured I'd bump it up. I used to have a very short commute (7mi each way) and I got a consistent 28mpg. Now, my commute is up to 44mi one way and 37mi back. Over the past 10 tanks I've gotten 36mpg every time. Just this weekend, I took a 135mi straight highway trip. When I got home I still had 2 bars left on the gauge, filled up and got 44.88mpg! This is on my 03 with ZX10 TB's and pods, light flywheel, ZX9 header/muzzy slip on, PC3, timing advanced 4 degrees and always run 93 octane. Bike has ~22k on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm averaging 37 mpg. See my signature for fuelly stats. I've got 41 before but that was slow twisty mountain roads. This thing is so low geared anything over 60mph is drinking fuel.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Reposting...

http://www.z1000forum.com/forum/z10...ns/142777-modding-my-10-kawasaki-z1000-4.html

Now that the first big 1000+ mile ride is done, Got asked about first impressions since this bike is really new to me & bought it with little knowledge of the motorcycle. This forum was about all I had to research the Z1000 prior to buying it a couple weeks ago.

The biggest surprise was gas mileage. With all this doom and gloom predicted on range, the opposite occurred. You're gonna get 35 mpg, 120 mile range- Nope!!

First check was 44 miles per gallon, then 46, low of 42, then almost 49 miles per gallon on Hwy 36!! That can't possibly be right. Kept thinking there must be something wrong with my calculator. With only a 4 gallon tank, that actually works out just fine for sport touring. :cool: Very pleased with that result. AND... This is on normal 87 octane gas. With the high compression motor 11:1, prediction was I would need high octane - but can't see any difference.

No lugging or pinging at all. Not even a hint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Reposting...

http://www.z1000forum.com/forum/z10...ns/142777-modding-my-10-kawasaki-z1000-4.html

Now that the first big 1000+ mile ride is done, Got asked about first impressions since this bike is really new to me & bought it with little knowledge of the motorcycle. This forum was about all I had to research the Z1000 prior to buying it a couple weeks ago.

The biggest surprise was gas mileage. With all this doom and gloom predicted on range, the opposite occurred. You're gonna get 35 mpg, 120 mile range- Nope!!

First check was 44 miles per gallon, then 46, low of 42, then almost 49 miles per gallon on Hwy 36!! That can't possibly be right. Kept thinking there must be something wrong with my calculator. With only a 4 gallon tank, that actually works out just fine for sport touring. :cool: Very pleased with that result. AND... This is on normal 87 octane gas. With the high compression motor 11:1, prediction was I would need high octane - but can't see any difference.

No lugging or pinging at all. Not even a hint.

Wow! That's great! How about a little info on the bike? Is the gearing standard and what kind of speeds were you going? How accurate do you think your speedometer is? I'd like to get better mileage out of mine as I am use to getting 42mpg average with my old FZ.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Martin - Using GPS ap on my phone, the speedo is 4-5 high, so close. But I'll likely put a SpeedoHealer on at some point to fix that.

And those mileage #'s are touring. So steady throttle and riding all day so the bike is nice & warm. Fun to get aggressive in a couple corners & that photo is a mountainous stretch between Weaverville & Red Bluff. Up & over Hayfork Pass, then up an over over Hwy 36. Stock sprockets. So basically optimal conditions.

Based on the Motorcyclist article about the Ninja 1000, I'm going to go -2T with a new SuperSprox to get the revs down though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I recently bought at 13 Z1000. At about 65 miles my last bar starts flashing. I daily commute it 15 mile one way. Is that normal? And how much further can I go? I am trying to plan a long distance trip and was trying to see how far I can go before filling up

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
That's not normal. I usually get at least 80 before it starts flashing and I have a speedo healer to fix the +5mph inaccuracy.

Commuting/playing I average mid to high 27mpg. On the highway I can squeeze out 34mpg.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
oh wow.. thats low, however i encountered that problem before.. throw a seafoam half can and it did reach 150km before it starts flashing.. (93 miles)
after the flash was at 160km (100 miles) or you can use any fuel injector cleaner...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm seeing 38.2 MPG average on my dash, and that's with occasional "spirited" driving. With a 4.5 gallon tank, the math come out to over 170 mile range.

*edit: Oh, that also includes Ivan's flash and a 16T front sprocket.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
what really? 170 mile thats 273 km. my gen 4 can only have 220 the most but damn 273 unless 16t plus 190/55 tires even so with ivans flash..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm getting 38-44 MPG completely stock. Would love to get the RPM down too, as most hiways here are 70-75-80MPH, and often traffic flows over 90MPH on Interstates and state 4 lane hiways.
Here's what gearing commander shows with stock 15-42, 16-39, and 15-39, at 70MPH in 6th.
RPM differences due to drive train setup changes:

stock= 4976 RPM
16-39= 4331 RPM
15-39= 4620 RPM

If like the Ninja article stated, that no real lower gear acceleration was lost with 16-39, I believe for me and my locale, it has to be the winning set up. Basically at 5100 RPM, stock speed is 71.8 actual MPH, 16-39 is 82.4 MPH, and 15-39 (just changing the rear) is 77.3 MPH. I could go for the 10.5 MPH improvement of the 16-39 set up.

FWIW, Cycle News did a Naked shootout for this week's edition, and sadly the Z came in last, mainly due to the gearing being too low. Aprilia Tuono 1100RR was the winner.
Here's the link to the issue. Worth a read:
Cycle News - Cycle News 2015 Issue 39 September 29

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yep pretty much the same shootout results as last year and what we as riders know. It's harsh, throttle is twitchy, gears a little tall blah blah. To me the Z is still the best looking bike in the class. I could have and did buy what I wanted

like the saying goes- I may be fat but you're ugly, and I can diet.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
I don't know how you guys are getting upper 30's low 40's. My bike is spinning 5000rpm at 65mph.

I know why mine is so low. All the wheelies and hard acceleration. That right grip is fun to twist.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm getting like 25-30 mpg.. at best... I fill up at 100 miles (or close to it). I think if I baby it I might be able to get 120 miles out of it... usually around 80 miles I have 1 gallon left... lots of right wrist twisting...

3B

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep pretty much the same shootout results as last year and what we as riders know. It's harsh, throttle is twitchy, gears a little tall blah blah. To me the Z is still the best looking bike in the class. I could have and did buy what I wanted

like the saying goes- I may be fat but you're ugly, and I can diet.
I agree. It's funny that two years ago, every magazine was touting the SDR1290 as the BE ALL, to END ALL motorcycle, and now it comes in 3rd.. I guess some reviewers/writers are fickle, and continually swayed by the newest and shiniest bauble they see. I do love the Z1000, or wouldn't have bought one either. Still gonna change out the sprockets to smooth out the hiway RPMs.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
I'm getting like 25-30 mpg.. at best... I fill up at 100 miles (or close to it). I think if I baby it I might be able to get 120 miles out of it... usually around 80 miles I have 1 gallon left... lots of right wrist twisting...

3B
I think it might have something to do with our size too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
oh wow.. thats low, however i encountered that problem before.. throw a seafoam half can and it did reach 150km before it starts flashing.. (93 miles)
after the flash was at 160km (100 miles) or you can use any fuel injector cleaner...
I never used sea foam before. Do I just put half a can in the fuel tank when it's low then top it off?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Isn't the first time I said the opposite of what I meant
We knew what you meant. I do like what been said about the SDR 1290. Gears 1-3 are short, and provide loads of fun, and 4-6 are tall, for comfortable highway traveling. Hoping the 16-39 gearing will help the Z feel taller in the top gear. tp

81 - 100 of 125 Posts