Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone has changed the stock monoblocks with something else. For me, itll be some Brembo HPK's - now, im half expecting the master cylinder not, to work - anyone else tried "another" set of calipers with the gen4?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ive played with calipers, but nothing like the quality you are looking at.

For what its worth, there was more difference when I switched out my master cylinder than when I switched calipers. I think you'll want both to be able to really enjoy those new calipeers.

To use the stock master cylinder would be like ordering BST wheels, the buying Shinko tires, and maybe even more so. I dont think our stock master cylinder is even Shinko like, in quality.

I ended up with gsxr brembos..probaby a similar quality to your stock calipers. With good pads, they are awesome, but so is anything else.

Best mod I made was a new, take off master cylinder from a ducati 1198sp. It was the right size for my gsxr's 32mm pistons.

A 1-10 scale? calipers, maybe a 5.... Master cylinder? 10+

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah....im half thinking I need to get an rcs but it's shunted me out just getting the calipers....my mate had them, didn't need the money fast and j don't think I'd ever see a 108 spaced set again...ill fit them...see what happens and then get an rcs at a later date...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So, your not having to pay full price? damn you! Yes, 'with you....buy those now and upgrade the master, later.

I found this web site to be helpful when choosing calipers and master cylinders.

https://www.oppracing.com/product_d...t-2piece-3034-high-performance-calipers-left/

I used it to pick my master cylinder. Step 1, find a ducati, or aprilia that uses the caliper you have. This may be impossible, for yours, as your caliper is very high end.

Once you find the bike, see what master cylinder they used for that specific bike.

https://www.oppracing.com/category/1116-aftermarket-front-brake-master-cylinders/

The rcs is nice, but really, you wont want two different ratios. There will be one correct ratio, and one thats wrong. Doing it , this way, let me spend 200.00 for my master as opposed to the rcs price.

You HAVE to post a picture...you just HAVE to.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will. Paid 750 UK for the calipers. Time to click on links and do some research...!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill be putting you out of your misery in a sec....(ill upload the pics after this from my phone...)

So, yes - theyre on, no, theyre not quite right yet....not really a great problem - just a lack of spacers i had in the garage at the time while i was getting it all set up....ill list the issues and the way im getting each part sorted out....youll see from the pics in a min...

1. The width of the HPKs are a lot narrower than the stock monoblocks. So, i had to find a spacer/s - luckily my roadlok comes with a load of spacers for various different bikes....a set from there worked a treat. However, ill be ordering some custom stainless ones that are alot meatier.

2. The discs had to be spaced away from the wheel as they just touch the insides of the calipers. Ive put some spring washers behind the discs but theyre not quite right. Again ordered some washers. I did try to get them behind the disc which did work but the disc isnt sitting level so im going to take the wheel out and put the spacers behind the collar which the disc connects to (pics will be coming when i get the wheel out) i need a bit of time to do this so probably will be doing it on the weekend (or when the spacers turn up).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh...the master cylinder looks like it's doing the job....need a test ride first though...to the pics!...

You can see the spacers there....they'll do the job for now but as i say ive ordered some stainless ones that are 22mm o/d so theyll match up with the caliper and provide a bit more rigidity.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Wow! The calipers are beautiful. With that master cylinder you have, I cant even dream about what those will feel like.

My stuff feels great, but compared to yours, its more like a 1980 Yugo vs 2017 BMW.

I think the high end stuff, like you have, is designed to run spacers. It would make it much easier, for a race team, to be able to try different sized front rotors.

I say race team, on purpose, as I doubt there are many individuals who own caliepers at THAT level.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cheers. Im running the stock master cylinder (which appears to be pretty solid to be honest) but as i say im waiting on spacers to get the discs in the right place (with regards to where they sit in the calipers). I was planning to get some gp4's which were a grand but these popped up at 250 quid cheaper plus my mate that owned them let me pay for them bit by bit which lessened the blow as it were....i dont think im going to see the full braking capability of them for a while as the pads in there are quite worn (im not that rich so im going to let them wear through before i order some more) plus the discs are worn themselves so theyre going to need to be bedded in for a while also. TBH even though the master cylinder appears to be ok ill probably get an RCS as im a sucker for well engineered high quality stuff. It lasts, looks good and holds its value very well....more pics will be coming as i get the correct spacers installed...

Go and have a look for "Pete Z 1000" on you tube....he's kinda what i aspire to. His zed is the most well engineered gen4 ive come across yet...ohlins forks, gp4rr monoblocks plus a ton of other stuff on there...some of its a bit too blingy for me but on the whole amazing....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You want the upgraded master cylinder, I promise. Thats worth as much as calipers, if not more.

Not talking about overall power, but for feel. It sounds crazy until you feel it. My master cylinder is not even one of the good ones, and made a vast difference. I suppose mine fits in the "ok" range. Its borrowed from a ducati 1198sp.

What piston sizes do your calipers have? Mine have the 4 x32mm pistons and Im running an 18x19 master cylinder. Its a very good match. Not quite ideal, but pretty good.

I dont know if you shoot firearms? If you do, the master cylinder is like a target grade trigger vs an off the shelf, normal model. Both do the same, exact thing, but one gives you tons of feel.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Firearms? if i had a firearm in my hand id be in prison within about an hour...! (live in the uk)

I know what the RCS's are like - ive got an rcs 19 on my rsv4 and an rcs 15 on my 525 supermoto....i totally expect to get one...just not yet....dont drink, dont smoke, never go out socializing (unless its bike related or free) and work shed loads of overtime - everything i get goes on primarily family and house - then bikes...!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Oh man, I did not remember the Uk firearm rules! Yes, thats bad....

Of course, you guys more than make up for it by allowing suppressors on your air rifles. The uk has some amazing ones we would go to prison for owning. If you try to order one, the uk companies see its for america and say "Uh...NO!!!"

Whats your pad chocice like on such high end calipers?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, as i say, not got near that yet....the ones on there have about 4mm or so left on them so ill let those go through first - then i guess some sintered pads of some sort...

Strange that you say our air rifles....id say a regular firearm will do loads more damage than a pop gun from over here....having said that my mate has a firearms licence as he culls wildlife for the council in one of the local forests....the deer apparently wreck tress and tend to inbreed alot. He also goes boar hunting in spain also. I was amazed when he showed me some of his rifles how much plastic there in in them! the carbine rifle he showed me i would say is 80% plastic. Only the mechanism, trigger and barrel are metal. Being that close to actual guns does make me feel a little queezy as to how much damage they can do being very honest...

Back on topic im still waiting for the spacers that i ordered monday...without those i cant do jack ****.!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chunky spacers fitted! Think I'm gonna get some turned out for the rear of it as well. Turns out I've got a slightly warped right disc...repositioned it and I think I'm good for some testing...just waiting for the weather to dry out...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Cheers...well, on the plus side ive cured most of my problems....after id put it all back together my braking problems had all but gone....i managed to get out for about 20 mins or so until the weather set in torrentially and i got soaked through...on the plus side theyre now solid. First pull at the end of my road i had to squeeze pretty hard to get it to come to a stop but, for the 20 mins i was out it progressively got better and better as the pads bedded in...end of the month, new pads.....end of next month....new discs...if i can afford them..!

The bolts that Marchesini supplied for the disc collar that joins the disc to the wheel were **** so its all gotta come apart again as ive got a load of ti bolts on order to replace them....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I found a set of the brembo 330mm rotors, last winter. They were new-take off from a 2016 zx10 and had zero miles on them. I only paid 199.00 for the set, so I had to. Its pretty difficult to get the caliper on, as there is JUST enough room.

If I were buying new, Id probably have stayed with the 310-320mm size, but they are amazing. SO quiet, smooth and progressive.

The diameter did almost nothing for overall power. My 310mm galfer wave rotors actually bite harder.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts