Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2015 z1000 and am curious what exhaust systems have the best HP gains and what else is needed with the full exhaust system?- tune, refresh, PV5, air filter? looking to get a full system so far i have read that the akripovic full system runs about 140 HP but is that with a tune also? If you have a tune do you need a refresh or is that the same thing sorry for Noob questions.

Looking for a little more high end HP and more torque.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ivan's Performance Products

http://www.z1000forum.com/forum/z1000-performance/155753-official-gen-4-ivans-ecu-flash.html

Akropovic is pretty well-liked. Arrow also makes a full system, but I think you have to get a Gen 3 serup.
Both Gen3 and Gen4 headers will work on our bikes (Gen4). What gets tricky is when you are trying to mate them with slipons. For example, I have a Gen4 Arrow header and a Gen3 Mivv Suono kit. The Gen4 Mivv Suono kit would not have fit without modification as they changed the diameter of the midpipe where it connects to the header. Other than that change the kits are the same (same mufflers).

If you are looking for best numbers I would suggest a full Akra or Arrow setup in 4-2-1 configuration. You will get decent numbers with a 4-2-2 though.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a gen 4 with an arrow header set, coupled with an Austin racing end can from my rsv4...sheer damn luck but it fitted as I was in the middle of fitting a full akra kit to my rsv4 and had the old system lying around. So, anything from the rsv4 from 2009-2014 will fit...bit crap on arrow's part but the mid mount point on the dual exit system doesn't exist on the single exit system - one of my next things to do on my list...once that's done I wont need the exhaust strap to attach it to the right hand footpeg. As for tuning , yes ivan if you've not got access to either a dyno/and or a dyno bloke that's skilled enough to reflash youre existing ecu. A custom mapping tailored to your bike is ultimately the best bet...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a gen 4 with an arrow header set, coupled with an Austin racing end can from my rsv4...sheer damn luck but it fitted as I was in the middle of fitting a full akra kit to my rsv4 and had the old system lying around. So, anything from the rsv4 from 2009-2014 will fit...bit crap on arrow's part but the mid mount point on the dual exit system doesn't exist on the single exit system - one of my next things to do on my list...once that's done I wont need the exhaust strap to attach it to the right hand footpeg. As for tuning , yes ivan if you've not got access to either a dyno/and or a dyno bloke that's skilled enough to reflash youre existing ecu. A custom mapping tailored to your bike is ultimately the best bet...
That setup looks good! I am jealous of your whole bike (exhaust, color)... Is it loud with that shorty on there? I know my dual setup was deafening without baffles and open Arrow headers were no joke either.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yep... I had the twin exit brawlers... **** me they were loud even with the baffles in... This is much quieter even with the baffles out...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both Gen3 and Gen4 headers will work on our bikes (Gen4). What gets tricky is when you are trying to mate them with slipons. For example, I have a Gen4 Arrow header and a Gen3 Mivv Suono kit. The Gen4 Mivv Suono kit would not have fit without modification as they changed the diameter of the midpipe where it connects to the header. Other than that change the kits are the same (same mufflers).

If you are looking for best numbers I would suggest a full Akra or Arrow setup in 4-2-1 configuration. You will get decent numbers with a 4-2-2 though.
How do you like the sound of the MIVV suono with arrow headers? i am thinking about doing this with the Ivans tune since vans works well with single full. Im looking for a deeper sound and i heard MIVV is deeper and sounds better than akra can. Also sofa how does the GP style sound? Is it low raspy too loud? I'm between MIVV GP or Suono. From videos i like the way the GP sounds with the silencer and the suono seems lower but curious what your comments are??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Akropovic or Arrow headers, mated to just about anything behind will get you similar numbers. Don't put headers attached to an open pipe... you will go deaf.... unless you are into that sort of thing! ;)

3B
Do you know of any akra or arrow headers I can use to mate the ixil sx1 underbelly muffler to I keep getting the 4 to 2 akra headers when I Google it

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got the ixil sx1 full exhaust system for my 2014 z1000 apparently they tach weld the baffles in now where the baffle screw goes so I need to get it drilled out. I also don't really like the headers on it I was wondering if anyone knows of any AKRA or ARROW headers I could put on my bike and mate the sx1 under engine muffler too and would there be any problem mating the two together trying to find the headers while my ECU is being flashed any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I agree.

Talk to Chris & he will send you a video - I just took out mine & we drilled & drilled, wd40 but finally a dent puller got it out.

Overall it was 3 hours at two shops.

But if we had done it with the exhaust off the bike, probably much easier.

They weld them in because if the Euro Compliance bullshit.

For me, the IXIL SX1 is the very best system out there with a $65 Servo Buddy & no need for a flash or tune.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yea I took it off and tried to drill it out myself but one bit just got stuck and wouldn't spin and the other just spins and won't widen the hole at all. Going to a shop on Monday hopefully they can drill it out. Also wondering i forgot to look before I put the header on but are they 4 to 2 to 1 or just 4 to 1

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
We tried a 7mm, then 8, 9, 10mm & I think it was a much more liberal weld than IXIL told Chris but if they have a Dent Puller, that will help. Much easier if the bike is already off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea when I called ixil he made it sound like it was a 2 min job and I will see basically a slide hammer right i was going to try a small gear puller and put the hooks on backwards and slide it down the baffle but the slide hamner seems to be whats recommended

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Years ago, Ivan's flash worked with a power commander, but those days are long gone. Its fully I integrated now and has nothing to do with a powercommander. It's not the same flash we bought when it first came out. No problem as he will update any of the older ones, no charge. You dont even need to be the original owner. Pay the postage and get the update.

Ivan has his own software. No one else has access to what he can do. His last update for this bike was in late 2017. A local custom tune wont compete with what he can do. I'm not saying mail order is perfect, but no one else has access to his software, and it's far better than what anyone else has.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea i was talking to a guy at 2wheeldynoworks I got a couple references saying they were really good and since I live in Idaho it only take 3 or 4 days to mail there and back im not sure how long it take to get to New York I heard thats where you have to send it to get the Ivan flash

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Yea when I called ixil he made it sound like it was a 2 min job and I will see basically a slide hammer right i was going to try a small gear puller and put the hooks on backwards and slide it down the baffle but the slide hamner seems to be whats recommended

I hope you mentioned my name - in the video they do it to a slip on whereas ours are integrated & nothing did it. I would post the video but it was only good for 5 days.

Nothing until the dent puller - I thought they were going to tear the exhaust off the Bike.

And even with the dent puller after tapping it back in to break the weld, 30 minutes plus.

Ask Chris to send you a new Baffle Replacement free, it's the least they can do - mention my name if you havent, he was very apologetic.

On all my other bikes you added the baffle if you chose to.do so.

It's this Euro Compliance BS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts