Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello, i have been looking for a steering dampener that will fit my z1k 2016. But im having a hard time finding one that im sure will fit.

Anyone here that has one that you know works good?
Here is one that I like.

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update:
I bought the hyperpro damper that @invitro talked about, and im very pleased with the result.
It was an relativly easy installation and the damper works great after i have had some time to test it out.

Just wanted to thank you guys for the help! :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Update:
I bought the hyperpro damper that @invitro talked about, and im very pleased with the result.
It was an relativly easy installation and the damper works great after i have had some time to test it out.

Just wanted to thank you guys for the help! :)
Thats whats the forum is here for. Glad you like it. Have you set up the dampening diaL properly?

If not here is how the hyperpro dealer set mine up:

Make sure its in the 'off' position, so no dampening at all. Lift your front wheel off the ground over the kickstand or with a fancy motorcycle stand.

Keep moving your handlebar from left to right and turn the dial click by click untill you feel a slight resistance in your handlebar movement. Then turn it one click back.

Show us a picture aswell of your installed damper and bike!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thats whats the forum is here for
. Glad you like it. Have you set up the dampening diaL properly?

If not here is how the hyperpro dealer set mine up:

Make sure its in the 'off' position, so no dampening at all. Lift your front wheel off the ground over the kickstand or with a fancy motorcycle stand.

Keep moving your handlebar from left to right and turn the dial click by click untill you feel a slight resistance in your handlebar movement. Then turn it one click back.

Show us a picture aswell of your installed damper and bike!

Good to know how they set it up themselves since i dont have any hyperpro dealers here.
I adjusted it while riding on the ground turning in slow speed until i felt resistance then i dialed it back one step, however ill readjust doing what you said instead :)
I didnt have any pics of the damper install itself that i can find, ill take some tmrw hehe.

EDIT
Luckily ive only had minor wobbles since i installed the damper so ive still not gotten to see what it can do hehe ;)

·
Registered
2010 Z1000, full akra, Ivan’s tune, mantris fork kit and Penske shock to come
59 Posts
hey buddy, just a tip that helped me a lot years back and ever since..
When you’re riding, grip the bike with your legs and don’t use your hands to do anything but steer and work the controls. You shouldn’t be hanging onto the bars, pulling or pushing. No pressure on the bars at all except steering input. If you’re light on the bars you’ll never ever have a wobble unless you hit a large bump WOT at like 130 (hey man sometimes you just gotta feel alive) when I was younger it seemed like everytime I got on it and got up around 120mph, or really jammed on it in 2nd gear, the end result would be a wobble. Then I watched and bought the book a twist of the wrist 2. I spent a weekend teaching myself to accelerate hard and not hold the bars and I haven’t used a steering damper basically ever. That’s why full fledged sport bikes and their riders always seem to need them, those squids have all their weight on their wrists.

·
Registered
2010 Z1000, full akra, Ivan’s tune, mantris fork kit and Penske shock to come
59 Posts
That’s not meant to say I know more than you or anything like that, just a bit of riding technique I’ve learned that makes a world of difference despite many not knowing

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
When you’re riding, grip the bike with your legs and don’t use your hands to do anything but steer and work the controls. You shouldn’t be hanging onto the bars, pulling or pushing. No pressure on the bars at all except steering input. If you’re light on the bars you’ll never ever have a wobble unless you hit a large bump WOT at like 130 (hey man sometimes you just gotta feel alive) when I was younger it seemed like everytime I got on it and got up around 120mph, or really jammed on it in 2nd gear, the end result would be a wobble. Then I watched and bought the book a twist of the wrist 2. I spent a weekend teaching myself to accelerate hard and not hold the bars and I haven’t used a steering damper basically ever. That’s why full fledged sport bikes and their riders always seem to need them, those squids have all their weight on their wrists.
Hey!
Thanks for the input, i do try to keep pressure off the bars. However sometimes i get lazy and dont think about it hehe ;)

Ive never had any major wobbles, just 2-3 small ones, but i think the damper is a good investment anyhow. (just in case)

+ it looks good 😂

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That’s not meant to say I know more than you or anything like that, just a bit of riding technique I’ve learned that makes a world of difference despite many not knowing
Thats what they teach us getting the lisence here in sweden, so you are spot on i think :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
if you ever get a wild tank slapper the first thing i’ve read to do is to start pumping the front brake lever as much as possible. the caliper pistons will get pushed out as the front wheel osilates left/right rapidly and you may not have any front braking temporarily. read that in road racing world mag so i think it’s solid advice. just thought i’d pass it on.

ps. luv your trim color. matte dark golden yellow?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
if you ever get a wild tank slapper the first thing i’ve read to do is to start pumping the front brake lever as much as possible. the caliper pistons will get pushed out as the front wheel osilates left/right rapidly and you may not have any front braking temporarily. read that in road racing world mag so i think it’s solid advice. just thought i’d pass it on.

ps. luv your trim color. matte dark golden yellow?
Thanks for the tip!
The color is more like bronze, however the previous owner had that done so im not 100% sure about the details :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the tip!
The color is more like bronze, however the previous owner had that done so im not 100% sure about the details :)
Looks very good indeed, i figured u did it your self. Reminds me a bit of my 07 z1000. Black with gold accents

·
Registered
384 Posts
hey planet2 could you please post some more pics of your bike? looks like you have a kewl bronze color chin fairing too?

·
Registered
384 Posts
loudcptcrunch, is the twist of the wrist book any good? i see amazon has some used copies for cheap. like $5 bucks cheap. thinking about buying.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts