Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Thanks for accepting me on this forum,

Had my bike stolen in 2018 on a vacation. After much investigation I was able to retrieve it but in a bit of a tampered state. Although the thief only drove it around 1000 km or so, he did some very cheap camouflage esthetic mods to change its appearance. All my fairings have been spray painted an ugly and cheap matte black, red seat was painted and parts were removed. Gas tank also has 2 small dents on left side.

I'll try and source all the parts I need to make it clean again over the winter but one thing remains a bit of a mystery right now and maybe some of you can help me.

The bike starts fine but has a bit of a missfire or similar. It sounds like its running on 3 cylinders from my experience and also has a strong smell of unburned fuel. If you blip the throttle very quickly from idle it hesitates before reving up. I can't go very far right now with it because of registration not being back into place but I did test drive it on the street quickly and it does lack power when taking off and then it feels like it gets it back momentarily when accelerating. You basically feel the revs clearing up.

I pumped all the gas I could from the tank, replaced with a good quantity of fresh gas and added some fuel stabilizer and injector cleaner. After letting it idle and warm up a few times it starts running fine without issues.

I let the bike sit another 2 weeks I was busy for work and when I came to start it up it was doing it again.

Any one have any ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had it warm up again this afternoon, starts great, but quickly makes a hesitation sound even at idle you can here it burble randomly.

Thanks to those who take the time to give me a few troubleshooting tips.

Mat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome aboard from another 2nd gen owner. Seems we are quite the minority. Although iv just got mine so dont have much wisdom to impart, apart from all the normal stuff like plugs, air filter, breathers tubes, etc.,, maybe the PAIR system?
Sorry to hear what happened to your bike, hopefully you get her running smooth and looking fine again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Change spark plugs, change oil, change fuel filter, change air filter, that's the first thing I would do after the abuse that the other person did.
Sorry to hear about what happened. I agree.... that's a good place to start. Does it only do it until it gets warmed up? Most of my experience mechanically is cars, but leaky valve seals will cause oil to leak down into the cylinder when you shut it off and temporarily foul the plug. Once it's running for a bit the plug will get "cleaned" up and start firing better. But do all the other stuff first. Who knows what that potato head did to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a misfire, that coupled with the raw fuel smell makes me think that you either have a coil that failed or a injector thats failing. I would run a multimeter on all four coils and check resistance. If they are all the same start pulling plugs after the bike has run for a bit. The plug that is still wet will indicate which cylinder is having a problem. Also, unplug the injectors and test the resistance on those as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your welcomes, I agree I always felt in a minority with my 2nd gen. I never actually got any notifications of all your replies and I thank you all those who replied. I'm checking back now because since my initial post winter came and I had no heated area to work on the bike PLUS my job sent me out for different missions 21 days at a time, damn time flies !

Anyhow with this coronavirus situation I am basically locked down at home and have more time to investigate the bike, additonally the weather is warming up here in Canada so I can probably start taking things apart since I haven't been able to get anything done.

Concerning the reply on the subject of a leaky valve seal, I doubt it, in part because it would have to leak like hell to get a miss fire like that AND would clear up at high revs in my experience, on another note if it IS engine damage I guess I could try and get a compression reading on all 4 cylinders while my tank is off. Can I achieve this by removing all 4 plugs and crank the engine with the gauge in one cylinder at a time safely?

I have a few questions for you guys:

1) I'm getting ready to take the tank off and get it repainted : Since these tanks don't seem to have a petcock, is there a way to leave the gas in it and empty it safely OFF the bike or will I have to plan to empty it before I take it off?
2) For those suggesting all the sparkplug verifications I agree but I find it challenging to troubleshoot in that area as the gas tank is in the way during these tests unless there is a way to move it aside temporarily?
3) Where's the best place to get replacement parts online (Coils/plugs/filters/gaskets) for these? Right now I Think a lot of stores are closed down so I would at least order them on line.

This will at least cover the mechanical part of the bike, then I have a lot of esthetic work to do... :( See before and after pics below.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
That's a fine looking steed :cool: Glad you got it back. ..which seems rare, great detective work.

Plasti-dip it, if the parts aren't broken -and maybe save some money.. Been looking into dyc.com via you tube and it looks doable.

I got my parts at bikebandit.com -prolly not the cheapest but the Zed is worth it!!

gl and keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was so much cleaner before... look how bad the paint is now. I'm not too fond of plastidip, everything I have dipped so far in my projects doesn't stay clean for very long. Plastidip attracts dirt and dust and it all gets lodged into it and looks dirty and uneven. I'd rather get a wrap or something like that.

I'll take a look at bikebandit.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
A guy at work dipped his Ford Fusion and it looks awesome (well, if you like the color he went with!). He bought the 'advanced' system and then bought a better spray gun which he said atomized more efficiently. He also went with the blue/green/black transition (can't recall what that paint is called) - it looks a different color depending upon which angle you look at it. Anyway I think it looked great up close he said he made a few mistakes but was overall pleased. There is some stuff -again forget the name of it, that you put on after the last coat dries to give it a bit of a shine and also protects it against what you mentioned.

I watched several video's and I'm almost rdy to try it on my truck ...almost! Application is the key.
I need to make an pvc cover/ extension that goes outside of my garage so I can keep all the wind and dust down as much as possible. Sounds fun to me that's why I mentioned it.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
1. "additonally the weather is warming up here in Canada so I can" = Bullshit, it's never warm enough for a Man to do anything in Canada until June & then it starts to freeze over again in August.

2. I am positively excited to see everyone offering their ideas, this is a true community.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1. "additionally the weather is warming up here in Canada so I can" = Bullshit, it's never warm enough for a Man to do anything in Canada until June & then it starts to freeze over again in August.

2. I am positively excited to see everyone offering their ideas, this is a true community.
Hahaha! Warming up doesn't mean its comfortable, at least I can slip a coat on, put a heater in my 80% insulated shed and have a warm coffee while I take a few things apart!

Still eager to hear some of your recommendations on my questions above!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A guy at work dipped his Ford Fusion and it looks awesome (well, if you like the color he went with!). He bought the 'advanced' system and then bought a better spray gun which he said atomized more efficiently. He also went with the blue/green/black transition (can't recall what that paint is called) - it looks a different color depending upon which angle you look at it. Anyway I think it looked great up close he said he made a few mistakes but was overall pleased. There is some stuff -again forget the name of it, that you put on after the last coat dries to give it a bit of a shine and also protects it against what you mentioned.

I watched several video's and I'm almost rdy to try it on my truck ...almost! Application is the key.
I need to make an pvc cover/ extension that goes outside of my garage so I can keep all the wind and dust down as much as possible. Sounds fun to me that's why I mentioned it.
I always did wheels, and I once did a complete hood on a beater, and my BMW came with a plastidipped kidney grill and all of them looked like ****!t after a while although looked super clean when freshly done. I didn't use any "protectant" but in my experience, the price they sell cans of these (above 20$ a can in canada) a good paintjob with quality paint has given me better results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just want to hit some of you back, maybe this will help others as well.

So my "missfire rough running of the engine" was solved by replacing all sparkplugs.

Accessing the sparkplugs is not a quick task, in my case instead of fiddling around the radiator neck and thermostat I opted to remove it all, and flush the system and refill with new coolant while I'm at it. From my knowledge I bought the bike at 14 000 km and now sitting at 40 000km I never touched those fluids so I thought it would be a good time to have all that done at once.
New Air Filter
New Engine Oil and filter
And she is now running normal

·
Registered
88 Posts
Maintenance is the key anyway, I rather change stuff even half way whatever recommendations from the dealer are. My bike has only 7500 km and I already change the oil 5 times in 2 years or better say it in 2 riding seasons
I haven’t use her this year yet but I already change the oil at the end of last season in September 2019.
I know people said I am wasting my money but how much is an oil change anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts