Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to this forum, this is my first post:) Not sure if this is the right place, but here is my "question":

I'm living in Denmark, and I am in the process of getting a classic Kawa. The one I am looking at is a Z1000 from 1977. I am not experienced used bike buyer, so any advise you can give is appreciated. What do I look for on the used bike, what are the "criticals" etc? Hope you can help, thanks.

Regards
Thomas

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Hi

I am new to this forum, this is my first post:) Not sure if this is the right place, but here is my "question":

I'm living in Denmark, and I am in the process of getting a classic Kawa. The one I am looking at is a Z1000 from 1977. I am not experienced used bike buyer, so any advise you can give is appreciated. What do I look for on the used bike, what are the "criticals" etc? Hope you can help, thanks.

Regards
Thomas
I would look at all gasket sealed compartments, date codes on the tires, if there are stretch spots in the chain, fork seals, does it run?, and if it doesn't, why not? Look for rust and cracks on structural welds, do all of the instruments work, do the brakes work, how old are the brakes, when was the last oil change, are there maintenance records, if the other party has taken it to a shop, what shop did they go to? I can list stuff off all day....

My best advice is to find someone who knows what they are looking at to take with you to look at the bike. It is too difficult to point out everything online that should be checked over, and be able deduce a fair price for the cycle without seeing it. (Unless it is a total pile of crap, and they want a ton of money for it... ...and that is usually obvious) I will say nice choice on bike!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Dang! It looks like its in very nice condition.... Does it run? What are they asking for it?

I have a 1977 KZ1000, and it is not in that nice of shape. I have about $3k in mine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kawtoy 77:
Well, taxes are insane in Denmark. He is asking $6000. For comparison: a 2011 ZX-6R in Denmark is $39000, in US it is around $11000. It runs, he says, only mod is electronic starter. I agree, it looks like it is in good shape. Again, what are the "traps", what am I looking for of "NO GO" items?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
kawtoy 77:
Well, taxes are insane in Denmark. He is asking $6000. For comparison: a 2011 ZX-6R in Denmark is $39000, in US it is around $11000. It runs, he says, only mod is electronic starter. I agree, it looks like it is in good shape. Again, what are the "traps", what am I looking for of "NO GO" items?
- I always check compression before I buy
(all cylinders should be close to even pressure)
- Check all the rubber (carb mount flanges/airbox flanges, hoses [are they brittle or hard]
- Bearings [wheel bearing should spin freely, and steering should as well with no "catching" or slack]
- Check for rust in the gas tank [this should be cleaned out before the bike is ridden]
- Do all the electronics work? (check for alterations to the main wiring harness)
- Take the bike for a test ride (most important in my book)
- While riding spend time in each gear bringing the RPMs down to around 3-4k, and accelerate briskly. DO THIS IN EVERY GEAR. These bike are notorious for transmission problems under abuse. 2nd gear is all but gone in mine. :mad:
- Look at the cam cover gaskets, they are also notorious for leaking.
Good luck, it is a nice looking bike. Judging only by the pics it looks like it was well cared for.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Here is mine

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would look at all gasket sealed compartments, date codes on the tires, if there are stretch spots in the chain, fork seals, does it run?, and if it doesn't, why not? Look for rust and cracks on structural welds, do all of the instruments work, do the brakes work, how old are the brakes, when was the last oil change, are there maintenance records, if the other party has taken it to a shop, what shop did they go to? I can list stuff off all day....

My best advice is to find someone who knows what they are looking at to take with you to look at the bike. It is too difficult to point out everything online that should be checked over, and be able deduce a fair price for the cycle without seeing it. (Unless it is a total pile of crap, and they want a ton of money for it... ...and that is usually obvious) I will say nice choice on bike!
Anyone on here have an idea of what a tired outdoor kept 1977 Z1000 is worth?

Kick start moves no bother and was rebuilt during the 90's, but not given the care it deserves since 2010.
Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Anyone on here have an idea of what a tired outdoor kept 1977 Z1000 is worth?
Thanks for trying to revive a dead 10 yr old thread.

There is no such thing as a 1977 Z1000, what you are taking about is an air cooled KZ1000, The water cooled Z1000 originated in 2003.

As far a value is concerned it is virtually worthless, you may get a few bucks if an owner of one needs some parts off of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts