Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I figured Id start a thread about my new Zed. Seems I'm the only one, but I won't be for long. I'm not joining any bullcrap H2 forum, so you guys are stuck with me. Besides... its a Z. Had it 5 days now, just crossed the 400mi mark, releasing my RPM restrictions. I will now go forth with looking at the road ahead and stop checking the meter every time things start getting fun. Still only touched 8k briefly, and that's where the fun begins. Next ride I'll see what's what. Probably could have reached for 11k by now, but I'm trying to follow the rules, if not the speed limit. Have the tail tidy and Carbon Fiber can on order last night, tracking says it will be here in two days. :D
Ill believe that when its in my hot hands, but I'm so very ready to lose bazooka and dingleberry.
For what its worth, the '14 Z was my first road going rocket, and I had it to experience for 5 years before trading up. All my testimony should be considered coming from a relative newb to sport bikes.
So far, the mirrors are fantastic. The quick shifter, display, smooth power and just about every review says the same thing so I won't be redundant. Professional test riders don't throw around the word perfect very often, and Ive never ridden a Ducati Or MV but so far I believe Kawasaki made this bike specifically for me personally. They snuck into my dreams and made them a reality. I miss the snatchy kick of my old Z a little bit, this one is almost too smooth coming into the power, but once I get to 10k I may retract that statement.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
You are in Love with your Motorcycle.

This is the sign of a completely disordered & sick Mind.

And as a Dr, I think its perfectly healthy.

Because we* already know it's a bona fide Z, with a Supercharger.**

*anyone who says it isn't, its "spitting ginger cat hairs ..."

**not the $55k Carbon Model but hey, its still a Beast

Very happy for you Mate, we don't expect to hear much from you after it hits 600 miles & you have the Service.

I hope you have a Pilot's License because that thing can only Fly ...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well ill be damned, all the way from the UK in less than 48 hours! Unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Holy Jesus,

It only Kawasaki USA 8 weeks to send me a crankcase cover & a gear lever!

How many miles now 2Wheels?

Will you do the 600 mile service first or get it done ar the dealership?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Only 420 miles so far. Can looks great, sounds kinda raspy and noisy. Dont like it, i doubt it will grow on me either. Was going to with the akra, but they recommended remapping, and this one (SP Eng) said not required, but it sure seems like it does. Lots of popping between shifts, even with the quickshifter it sneaks one in there, and acceleration isnt as smooth. Its Nasty. Id rather have the stock sound, i wasn’t after volume, i just don’t like the bazooka. Perhaps they make a baffle, i thought it would come with one but didn’t, hmmm

did touch 10k briefly doing roll on in 3rd gear.. good G0D it reels in the road that’s for sure. Feels pretty unnecessary but damn fast.Think i hit 100 in 3rd before i shut off. Crazy!

edit: put another 20 miles or so on it, and it seems a bit better actually. As long as I stay around 6k It’s smooth but still loud. Power below 6k feels reduced. At least they put the servo after the cat and not in the muffler.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I dont think so. However, i read that the quickshifter kills the ignition for a split second, and it pops between shifts, you just can’t hear it with the stock muffler. Out riding now and I’m gonna turn it off and try that.
overall, i can get used to the sound, it actually is kind of growing on me, I just can’t take the POP everytime I shift. Dealbreaker.

edit: That was it! Turned off the quickshifter and no more firecracker.

I'll keep the can :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No idea, but its off now. Probably a bit of both, just about everything on this bike is electronic to some degree. I had the baffles in my old Z, and it was pretty stealthy. I don't need the cops hearing me first, and start looking around for the racer, but I'll get used to it. Rode through a parking garage and revved it a couple times and I have to admit it sounded pretty cool 😎

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
You are riding an H2, by the time the cops hear the bike you are blocks away.

Ungarisch informed me the other day that the increasing pops I am hearing is some EPA (?) device that is burning* off the unused gas (?) and that over time, those cumulative mini detonations cause the exhaust/cat to break down over time.

*and you can but something/or have it removed

As it is I have the IXIL SX1 Exhaust so I will be fine.

Doesn't void your warranty during the run in period?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Doesn't void your warranty during the run in period?
If you won’t tell I won’t.
Gonna throw that heavy a$$ fireplace log of a muffler back on for the 600mi service, which I just went over 600 today so that’s on deck for next week. Also, will help me judge the low end power with the stocker. It does feel a little reduced, but maybe its my imagination because i can hear the engine so much better. Doesn’t really matter, it’s got so much freaking power anyway once i get over 6k it pulls like a fighter jet

edit: the cruise control is awesome! Got stuck behind some traffic on the blacktop and clicked it and let go. WITH BOTH HANDS and steered with my as s! It was wild a total bonus on longer rides. Funny thing while i was marveling at the cc i passed some goober going the other way on a Harley stretched out with his hands behind his head steering with his feet. I guess he’s used to it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Im pretty sure all bikes s/c or not are factory tune calculated with the back pressure. Thats why the rejet/remap is so important when changing exhaust. Its not hurting the motor but it isn't optimized either. My old Z didn't pounce out of the hole after I swapped the stock mufflers, and I never mapped it I just romped on the throttle a bit more. Got down on the new Z today and holy crap its quick. Still getting used to the traction control and anti wheelie control. I loved that about my old Z... ride at your own risk. Yeah Im sure it protects me from myself but that's really not what I'm about. Thinking about turning all that sh!t off. Had a few front wheel taps while banging through the gears and got some head shake. UMMM NO. I know the bike throttle cut, but at what expense? Wheel taps and speed wobbles? ..nannies.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Head Shake & Z1000 Ownership are joined at the hip, even with higher gear changes.

I can only imagine with all that tech together with chassis design, length & weight, the H2 is not as prone to have the front wheel floating.

It must be like holding onto a rocket?

Did you do the oil change?

As I get more aggressive, that front end between 2nd & 3rd, has on quite a few occasions had some annoying & to be honest, frightening shake/wobble, especially on less than perfect road conditions, all captured on Go Pro.

But its the power-gearing-length-ratio that makes the non H2 an exciting riding experience, for mature riders.

Is your head shake happening even with the electronic controls? Is thier provision to electronically enhance the front wheel contact? Is it a heavier, more difficult front end to manage when it comes down as speed, it looks like a much heavier design?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it a heavier, more difficult front end to manage when it comes down as speed, it looks like a much heavier design?
No it handles well for a heavy bike. Like a great white shark, its big, but nimble. I think at high speed it makes it more stable and really doesn't try to rip my head off either. I could probably do 100 for an hour if the law would let me. Over that I needed to tuck a little bit. Did many 0-to (whatever) speed runs and only wobbled once and was kind of a sketchy road surface. The wheelie control had me content to pin it with impunity, and maybe that's my fault. Like a tightrope walker with a net. big deal. Sure I'm probably faster that way, but the bike doesn't really need me at that point now does it? I need to just take it easy, and get used to the bike and quit trying to scare myself with it.
That's a mean looking and purposeful beast. Health to enjoy 2Wheels.
Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can looks great, sounds kinda raspy and noisy. Dont like it, i doubt it will grow on me either.
It did not.
I found myself short shifting in neighborhoods, and generally, cruising in 4th at 4k sounded like a crop-duster
was chasing me.
Remembered I still had the unused Black Widow baffles for my old Z, I thought about giving a shot at fitment and see if I could fabricate a way to retain it. Didn't want to lose it in there, so I put a lanyard on it and dropped it in. Had a bit of a loose fit at first, but I gave it a little push to see how far it would go. It went in about halfway and I thought hmm that's pretty snug so I tried to pull it out and it wouldn't come! Grabbed a long needle nose and had to pull pretty hard to get it out. I removed the lanyard and dropped it in again slowly until it seated a bit, then gave it a little tap with a long screwdriver. I tried to pull it out again and its in there pretty good. it sounds awesome! Exactly what i wanted and a very subdued and only occasional pop w/ the QS on.
Almost at 900mi now and I’m lettin ‘er rip. Holy Sh!t this thing is fast.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
I just saw a 250 mile odometer H2 like yours at a dealer in Texas, might go & get it.

How is your experience?

And how many miles?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Almost 1000 miles after yesterday.
I can say, as a fan of the Z1OOO, this bike is everything I wanted. The reviews are spot on, whereas, a bike this fast shouldnt be this easy to ride. It only gives you power when you ask for it, no sudden whiskey throttle moments. Like a lightswitch dimmer. Just turn the dial. Of course, everyone is different so I cant say YOU will love it, but I certainly do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts