Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i have had my 15 z1000 for 5 years now, it has some scuffs and scrapes. I was thinking of respraying the bike in the original color 40R.

As a buddy of mine can get wrap quite cheap im switching to that option. I have some experience with wrapping flat surfaces. A Z is next level stuff.

Started off with a piece of wrap that was going to be scrap. As you can see, there is some trial and error

But this will not be the color, im thinking about doing it in chrome green.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happens if the wrap gets scuffed?

Can you buff it out?
On Any paintjob with a clearcoat, you can polish out minor scratches in most cases.

Wrap was initially done to protect your paintjob from rockchip and minor scratches.
These days its more about visual customisation of ones vehicle.

To answer you question Doc, i think wrap can not be buffed out, not enouhg material to buff. I could be wrong though.

Im trying to preserve whats left of my paintjob and prevent any chances of rust forming on the tank. It gives me some time aswell to save up money for a proper paintjob. It will stay golden blazed green , when the time comes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wrll nit much debris, have a little roch chip on the tank. Pannier bags have sanded through paint til the plastic on some spots on the tail on both sides. Lugage rack, left some marks aswel around the seat. And some marks on the belly pan, after tipping over, when i squezed the brakes too hard, and wasnt fast enough to put my foot down

About 33k kilometer on the odometer now.
Most people dont even see it untill i show them. It gets more in my head rather than it is really visible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wrap is pretty hard to scuff though. I've had my windshield wrapped for years now in mock carbon fiber and have had quite a few rock hits and has held up well. (Needs cleaning)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your still looks good indeed.

My order is in, coming un thursday, so i might wrap during the weekend. Hexis superchrome green and 3m black brushed aluminium are the colors to go on.

Also ordered the orginal decals.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Mock is good but if you have the coin, contact www motocomposites.com

Tell them the Doctor sent you.

They have Carbon Fiber & Fiberglass.

For me, I had to remove that Gay* Dayglo Green off the rear seat cover & the Headlight cowl immediately, since I was already in the process I replaced the tank strip also.

Night & Day.

I live* in the Hollywood Hills above West Hollywood but I am not a Participant in the hijinks they enjoy - good for them

**mostly in my RV

20200220_140621_resized_1.jpg
20200220_140756_resized_1.jpg
20200220_140603_resized_1.jpg
20200223_101525_resized_1.jpg
20200223_101457_resized_1.jpg
20200223_160650_resized_1.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
As i have had my 15 z1000 for 5 years now, it has some scuffs and scrapes. I was thinking of respraying the bike in the original color 40R.

As a buddy of mine can get wrap quite cheap im switching to that option. I have some experience with wrapping flat surfaces. A Z is next level stuff.

Started off with a piece of wrap that was going to be scrap. As you can see, there is some trial and error

But this will not be the color, im thinking about doing it in chrome green.

Chrome is the hardest as it's more thicker. Looks easy but it's not. I've done Ninja 1000, ZX14, Africa Twin, and Grand Cheroke SRT so far. All in all you need patience with wrapping, if you don't have patience it's not for you. My instagram: zarwraps

·
Registered
136 Posts
Chrome is the hardest as it's more thicker. Looks easy but it's not. I've done Ninja 1000, ZX14, Africa Twin, and Grand Cheroke SRT so far. All in all you need patience with wrapping, if you don't have patience it's not for you. My instagram: zarwraps
damn dude, you do some good work! Too bad your in Kentucky... or maybe I might send you some stuff to wrap for me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, seen his work aswell. Looks so good.

Here is my first rear panel.... cant seem to get it right

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah, seen his work aswell. Looks so good.

Here is my first rear panel.... cant seem to get it right

I've attempted to wrap the exhaust shield on my Husky matte black and it ended looking like crap, so I took it off. It's really hard to do it while on the bike because of the space constraints, and off the bike it's near impossible to stretch the vinyl to go around convex curves.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure is near impossible. Having another go at it tomorrow when more knifeless tape comes in.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not eboguh wrap left to do the tank and belly pan. Ordered some more. From a distance its looks ok. I will spare you guys the close up pictures

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dang that turned out great man. Congratulations brother. Could you post up some more pics close up?
Haha NO! Upclose it doesn't look good, too many (beginner) mistakes. Once its redone properly, I will mske some closeup pics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts