Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not a track rider, too boring for me personally & a its big commitment for the stellar experience - you go through a $3-400 tire in one weekend?

By the time the weekend is finished is it a $1000 in expenses?
Beats the $350 ticket I got!👮‍♂️

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I was thinking, I broke quite a lot of bones during 5 years on the dirt & bikes but I wasn't hitting corners with strangers while racing at speeds of 120-160mph.

On those hard road surfaces I know so well.

They must have a full time rotation of Paramedics & a Trauma Surgeon there - that must be part of a Fee & Medevac Access?

How much is a weekend of track fees & insurance?
yes they have a trackside ambulance at all tracks, that's a requirements, and some tracks like Chuckwalla which is 65 miles from civilization also have medevac helicopter on standby, though not at the track.

There is no insurance for track, at least not in the US. I think UK offers track day insurance.

Track day entry fee varies from $120-180, I spend another $150 or so on transport, fuel and tires. But that's because I run tires that only last 1-2 track days. If you used supersport tires, and ran in the B/C groups, as set of tires should last you at least 4-5 track days.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
What is a Super Moto Class - I thought they were bigger than 250cc?
supermoto is a dirt bike with slick tires on it instead of knobbies. You also modify them to have stiffer suspension and much better brakes. You typically race them at go-kart tracks or really twisty canyons, like Tuna Canyon in Malibu. Most are between 450 and 550cc for a true supermoto, but they make bigger ones up to 700cc, but those weigh significantly more.

Most kart tracks allow supermoto bikes to race on them, obviously not at the same time as kart. However, Willow Springs recently changed their policy to only allow 250cc or below on the kart track, which mean only mini-moto type bike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If its raining are you guys allowed to race?
we're in socal mate, getting a track day with rain is even less of a chance than winning a scratch-off lotto ticket. But yes, generally they run rain or shine. My typical track that I do at least 6-8 times a year is Chuckwalla out in the Indio desert, and over there they get rain maybe once every 10 years. It's a non issue...

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Chuckwalla I agree.

Northern California not so much.

What happens if some Dick who shouldn't be in your allotted group of 10 takes someone out?

Is it also grouped into first time racers regardless of skill?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ungarisch,

When you are at Willow leaned over on that 130 mph sweeper, what of revs are you running?

Do you prefer to be at max rpm when you can or do you use more of 7k - 9k ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ungarisch,

When you are at Willow leaned over on that 130 mph sweeper, what of revs are you running?

Do you prefer to be at max rpm when you can or do you use more of 7k - 9k ?
turn 8 is leaned over I'm at around 110, slows to 90 for turn 9 exit to the front straight, and I hit about 138 max at the end of pit exit before breaking for turn 1. This bike definitely has enough top end to make it worth your while. I shift around 10-11k on the front straight from 5th and 6th, I never hit the limiter as you kind of already know when it's time to shift just by ear. Most corners I would say I'm at around 5-7k rpms in order to get a decent drive out of the turns, but turn 6 is the exception where it's a blind crest and I granny shift it at like 5k in order to not lift the front wheel as the ground drops away from you.

Our bikes have a really, really close ratio gearbox, so I really can't compare my data-logging to any of my buddies, they are exiting turn 9 in 3rd gear while our bikes would probably explode if I shifted the Z into 3rd at 100mph...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Did you run a 30 front and 30 rear psi pressure when you were at the track on your gen3?
Per Michelin's guidelines for the Cup2, I ran 31psi front and 23psi rear, cold. However, I think the Cup2 is way too soft of a tire to run at Big Willow because I chewed through a brand new tire in less than 4 sessions. I installed the tire the night before and this is what the right side looked like by mid-day, I had to skip the last session because I had no more tire left.

it turned from round into a pentagon

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Do they, the Organisers, in the interest of sanity, let you ever ride the track in the opposite direction?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Do they, the Organisers, in the interest of sanity, let you ever ride the track in the opposite direction?
most tracks yes they do, typically Saturday is clockwise and Sunday is counter-clockwise. Big Willow they do not allow you to ride it counter for supposed safety reasons. Most bigger tracks do not allow you to run the opposite directions, for instance I've never seen Laguna Seca ran clockwise, which would be kinda cool. Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla Streets of Willow, they run in both direction depending on the day you go.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ungarisch,

What tires pressures are you running on the Z and the Supermoto?
Do you change that amount if you take it on the street ?
Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
really depends on the tire. Michelins have a stiff sidewalls with very soft carcas, while the Dunlop Q4's I have on right now have it the other way around, soft sidewall but stiff carcas. The recommended cold track pressures on the michelin is 31/23, while dunlops is 31/30. On the streets I uses 33/33 on the Michelins and I've been told to use the same 31/30 on the Dunlops even on the street.

On my supermoto I run Michelin's Power Cup Evo tire, because that tire is specifically designed for light weight bikes, meaning they get up to temp (and stay there) much quicker than your typical sport bike tire designed for a much heavier bike. On the supermoto I run 30/30 on the street, and drop it down to 26/26 at the go-kart track. I will be switching to Metzeler Supermoto tires next go around, as those are slicks that do not require warmers and while technically not legal on the streets because of the lack of grooves, they do warm up quickly so i feel comfortable using them on the street as well. Not sure what pressures those require.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
it's usually around a 10-15% increase from cold to hot depending on tire size. On DOT street tires checking hot pressures is not as critical as on full racing slicks. With slicks they have a pretty narrow brand of hot pressure you need to follow and keep checking at every session. Street tires have a much broader range. I just sent mine to the recommended cold pressures and forget about it for the most part. My friends who are on slicks, check pressures at the end of every session.

Now keep in mind that I'm in SoCal, where from cold to hot you talking about 85*F to 165*F. If you're in a colder climate, when you start your morning tire pressure at 50*F, once your tires get up to 165*F, you will have a higher than 10-15% increase in pressure. So you will need to let out.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts