Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Old enough to know better but still too young enough to not care ?

I'm 60

I've never seen the "Streets" as they were not built when I raced there

I missed out on the Ontario raceway as it closed the year before I started on the track. It was seeing races there on TV that made me want to race. I still feel that I missed out on that.

check out my "Old Kaws" thread in the "Other Kawasaki's" forum
there were so many old race tracks in and around Socal that have now gotten demolished. I spent an insane amount of time at LARC drag racing my VW Rabbit trying everything to be able to break into the 13's with my junkyard build, now an average Camry does that, lol.. Back when I was in my late teens in late 1990, there was stuff to do for kids my age in and around car/bike culture. I feel that that's now mostly gone, other than maybe drifting in the canyons, which is kinda sketchy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yes, I definitely do dispose most of my income 🤑. I look at it this way; some people go out and finance a $25k motorcycle, which when you add the mandatory full coverage insurance is like a $750 monthly payment for what is essential a depreciating toy. I'd rather buy a cheap-ish used motorcycle outright and use that $750 a month to improve, tinker or just have fun with the bike as my hobby, "adult Lego" as my gf calls it.

I think one track day a month is within reach for most people. Average entry fee is between $140-170, you add tires, transport and other miscellaneous costs, you're looking at $350 max per event for a hobby that I really, really enjoy and have met great friends through. I think that's reasonable. A lot of people here in Cali spend more than that on pot every month.

Now you do have these people that show up to the track with quarter million dollar tour buses, pulling hundred grand toy haulers, with a couple of $150k AMA spec superbikes in them, but hey why not! I'm sure they are supporting a lot of people in the motorcycle industry, so good for them! If I could afford it, I would probably do the same.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nice,

I am a KTM fan though. Your Husky looks great.

You seem to have some disposable income, no wife or kids ?
also want to clarify that I have nothing really against KTM bikes. I have owned at least 5 of them that I can recall, and in fact my most rare bike ever was a KTM. I was just really bummed out when KTM bough the Italian Husky and rather than further the development of the Italian bikes (which were slaying the competition including KTM in the European supermoto championship), they instead decided to completely kill of the previous development efforts and just rebadge KTM current lineup as Husky's with slight styling and suspension changes. They did the EXACT same thing with Husaberg (which I've also owned). Basically a giant mega-corp. erasing it's competition by buying them all up and then liquidating them. I wonder if the same is going to happen to GasGas as they just recently bought them.

Now regarding this rare KTM. As you probably know, the state of California THE emission Nazi of the US. You cannot convert off highway use bikes to street legal and you sure as hell cannot convert a 2-stroke dirt bike to be street legal in here. But I did just that in 2008, completely legally. Up until about 1995-ish it was fairly easy to convert OHV bikes to street legal in CA and then the ban-hammer came down hard and became pretty much impossible. I happen to find a 1990 300EXC that was converted to street legal back in 1990 which meant that it was fully grandfathered in, meaning the state could not take the plate away like they could (and do) on the later converted bikes. But a 1990 KTM was a pretty shitty bike to begin with compared to what was current then. My buddy had a 2004-ish era 300EXC and I noticed that not only were the engine mounts identical but also the tank and subframe were similar for the most part. So I bought a used 2001 380EXC for cheap, swapped the entire engine into my 1990 with minimal effort, and completely updated the all of the plastics, tank and subframe to 2007 spec. So I had essential a brand new KTM 2-stroke with the big bore 380 engine, that also happened to be completely street legal with a street title that could never be taken away by the state. Basically a complete unicorn in California. ...and a year later my stupid-ass sold it for way less than it was worth so that I could waste the money chasing ladies.

This is the one bike that I regret ever selling. It weighed less than 210 pounds and had close to 65hp on an ON/OFF switch. It was hilarious to ride on the street. You know how some people brag that on their bike it's hard to keep the front end down in all the gear, meanwhile it's a complete exaggeration. On this bike that was completely literal, it was scary and insanely fun at the same time. Maybe if I move to another state, i can build one like this again, sure as heck not gonna happen in Cali again!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I dig the bike and the story, I live in Ohio and everybody has a plate on their dirt bikes both 2 and 4 strokes. Not to really ride on the street but more so the connecting routes and way into the towns for gas. I loved my 200 EXC, light nimble and fast. Even though other bikes had larger engines, the 200 would be the fastest in the woods with the right rider. My group generally goes up to Michigan 2-3 times per year on a dirt bike trip. They have an extensive trail system.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Found out Circuit of the Americas is about 3 hours away. Heard about it but never kn ew where it was. Gonna do a couple local track days and then I'm there

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
You of all of us, have got to get your bike over there & give us a report.

An H2 isn't designed for a Parking Lot ...

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
We need a full report.

Take the stand off.

Shorten the pegs.

Check your Health & Life Insurance is current.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ordered my full leathers last night!

now you just need boots and gauntlet gloves and you're good. Also, don't wear a modular helmet, even if the TD organizer allows it, it's a stupid idea....

Also, remove the feelers from your pegs, otherwise they are going to get ripped off and might take part of the peg with it, and may also end up in someone's tire.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Jesus Christ Ungarisch,

Its a death sentence!

I presume you are talking about those little knobs on the end?

Purchased the best modular helmet so when I get pulled over I can quickly flip it up & pattern the Police Officer.

Its worked 3 out of 4 times.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Got an arai and shoei full face, and the a-star boots I have cover the ankles but are kinda street-y and really just for warmth. I’ll probably run em. I’ll pick up the gloves local. Looks like Oct 25 should be my first time on track! Getting excited about it!
Thanks for the tip on the peg tits, I’ll grind em off. My bike is tall but the pegs are low so my lean angle is going to suffer a bit

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Jesus Christ Ungarisch,

Its a death sentence!

I presume you are talking about those little knobs on the end?

Purchased the best modular helmet so when I get pulled over I can quickly flip it up & pattern the Police Officer.

Its worked 3 out of 4 times.
on the street a modular helmet is not really a problem, on the track it is. Your chances of a getoff during a typical street ride is probably like 1 in 10,000 (just pulling that out of my ass), meanwhile your chances of a crash at a track day is typically 1 in 30. Every track day I go to typically has about 2-3 crashes throughout the day and most track days consist of 3 groups of 30 riders, so 1 in 30 seems about right. That's a fairly high chance, and when you consider that the speeds are much higher than on the streets, last thing you want to be thinking of is whether your modular helmet is going to pop open upon impact.

again, street riding, modular makes complete sense, which is probably why the cops use it.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I hear you.

Full Face makes sense.

And Leathers.

I always wear good boots.

Never leathers but then again, you really push your bike in the Canyons & the Track versus my comfort level.

Not a track rider, too boring for me personally & a its big commitment for the stellar experience - you go through a $3-400 tire in one weekend?

By the time the weekend is finished is it a $1000 in expenses?

Especially if its up north & out if town.

And when I say Boring, riding a dirt bike on trails, enduros & motocross turns me on but not the track, not enough to make that sort of committment.

Is it really that high an amount of accidents?

You put $10-20k into your masterpiece - its a one off bike - is there insurance you can buy on the day that covers you & your bike?

How do they segregate the different levels - do you have to qualify or do a time trial first?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ungarisch,

I see KTM is bringing back the SMR for 2021

KTM 450 SMR 2021
yeah, I've owned a 2005 525 SMR with the RFS motor. The only bike I've ever owned to literally explode underneath me. 🥳 Worked out kind of perfect though because I got it for super cheap and ended up using all of the really high end race components from that bike and put it on my street legal 380 2-stroke build and sold off the rest as parts.

The SMR came with some really nice race parts from the factory. Supermoto specific shortened White Power forks, forged aluminum Gilles adjustable triple clamps, Behringer radial caliper and master, Behr wheels, Braking rotors, all top shelf stuff that if you were to buy in the aftermarket, it would easily cost you 7 grand. I'm sure the new 2021 SMR is the same, probably a great deal for what you get.

I would love another dedicated supermoto race bike, they are just on another level compared to the street homologated bikes, but sadly recently Willow Springs (my local kart track) changed the rules to where only sub-250cc class bikes are allowed on their kart track now. For those that don't know, you race supermoto bikes on go-kart tracks.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I was thinking, I broke quite a lot of bones during 5 years on the dirt & bikes but I wasn't hitting corners with strangers while racing at speeds of 120-160mph.

On those hard road surfaces I know so well.

They must have a full time rotation of Paramedics & a Trauma Surgeon there - that must be part of a Fee & Medevac Access?

How much is a weekend of track fees & insurance?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts