Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here a quick single lap video for my last track day. The Z1000 did great, pretty much could keep up with any bike on the group except for the +200hp BMW's and Ducati's which would loose me on the front straight because I'm down 60hp on them. Started the day out running 1:49's because the last 2 corner, turns 8-9 are 110-120 mph corners and until you get used to being leaned over at that high of a speed, it's a bit scary in the beginning. But as the day went on I got more confident and dropped the lap times down by 2-3 seconds each session. By the middle of the day I hit my fastest lap time of 1:39.2. For reference AMA / MotoAmerica racers typically hit 1:24's in qualifying, obviously on full race prep'd superbikes on slicks. So I'm quite happy being 15 seconds off that pace on a fat pig of a naked bike with street tires on. My goal for next time is to get down to 1:35's, but I I'm really limited on ground clearance on this bike. Even though the bike is already raised a 1/2" over stock height, at turn 3 I'm touching down the side stand and engine case case plastics mid corner. Going to completely redo the suspension again to raise the bike up by another 1/2" or more.

and a pic of the bike in the paddock

here is where I started scraping the kickstand and bodywork

and because Willow Springs is a predominantly right hand turn track with very long, very high speed sweepers, here is what the right hand side of my rear tire looked like. Mind you, I put it on the night before... The right hand side is completely worn down to nothing, while left side has almost full tread. Ready for the garbage bin...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Are you serious Jimz?

On a 500?
oh yea, a two stroke 500

I ran Willow Springs and Riverside in AFM South and ARRA events. They ran Willow Springs both clockwise and counter clockwise on different weekends. I had one terrifying experience where I stayed leaned over on my rear brake linkage which lifted my rear wheel and I went off track. I did a flying "W" but manage to stay on and upright. I wrecked, I just didn't fall off.

you know that Moto GP changed from 2-stroke 500's to 1000 cc 4-strokes and the first year, either could be used, the 4 strokes were safer

·
Registered
237 Posts
So Ungarisch,

What org put on your track day ? I had heard that most schools had to used the "Streets of Willow" and it was difficult to use the big track unless it was a true racing club. Glad to see you got to use it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looks like fun! I've been searching up track days here, and I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Ungarisch,

What org put on your track day ? I had heard that most schools had to used the "Streets of Willow" and it was difficult to use the big track unless it was a true racing club. Glad to see you got to use it.
Pretty much all the local TD organizers run Big Willow at least twice a year. The one that's kinda a bit less frequent nowadays is Streets of Willow because California Superbike School uses that track regularly for instructions, along with a few other local instruction based organizations. I'll be at Streets of Willow on October 10th, but with my Husqvarna supermoto bike instead of the Z1000 since that track is a bit more suited for the smaller bike, plus I run that in group A because I can literally embarrass the 1000's on the SM as a 260 pound bike can carry way more corner speed in the slower corners than any superbikes. I get eaten up on the front straight, but it's fun hunting them down in the corners.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh yea, a two stroke 500

I ran Willow Springs and Riverside in AFM South and ARRA events. They ran Willow Springs both clockwise and counter clockwise on different weekends. I had one terrifying experience where I stayed leaned over on my rear brake linkage which lifted my rear wheel and I went off track. I did a flying "W" but manage to stay on and upright. I wrecked, I just didn't fall off.

you know that Moto GP changed from 2-stroke 500's to 1000 cc 4-strokes and the first year, either could be used, the 4 strokes were safer
Riverside, really???? damn, how old are you???? 🤣🤣🤣 I was still riding PW50's when that track closed

·
Registered
112 Posts
Could you talk a little bit more about the 360° camera? I’ve seen this once before on a video and how does it work exactly do you know? Is it one camera or multiple cameras? And I’m so jealous of your ride on the track that was awesome and your bike sounds amazing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Riverside, really???? damn, how old are you????
Old enough to know better but still too young enough to not care ?

I'm 60

I've never seen the "Streets" as they were not built when I raced there

I missed out on the Ontario raceway as it closed the year before I started on the track. It was seeing races there on TV that made me want to race. I still feel that I missed out on that.

check out my "Old Kaws" thread in the "Other Kawasaki's" forum

·
Registered
296 Posts
Im quite suprised aswell about the plat anf kickstand. Hands down for you sir, dont I'd ever keep up with with the bmw's and ducs.

Sseying you in your Z gets me even more excited to start trackriding aswell.

Isnt willows springs the track that made shelby, the gt400 and ken miles famous?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im quite suprised aswell about the plat anf kickstand. Hands down for you sir, dont I'd ever keep up with with the bmw's and ducs.

Sseying you in your Z gets me even more excited to start trackriding aswell.

Isnt willows springs the track that made shelby, the gt400 and ken miles famous?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk
yes, same track from the GT40 movie. It used to be a really famous and popular track up until the late 1990's era, host to many sanctioned races, but then by the mid 2000's it became just a track-day only type of track. There really isn't any actual sanctioned races happening there anymore, besides amature level stuff. I remember back in the year 2000 when I just got my license we used to go to watch the 24 hour motorcycle race there, night time was real interesting, barely any flood lights on the track, racers mostly relied on their motorcycle headlights to light the way. Imagine taking Turn 8 at 130mph (210 kmh) in complete darkness not seeing where you're going. Fun times...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
701 or 450 ?, or maybe something you cooked up yourself ?
Those are not Husky's, those are just White KTM's 😂🤣:poop:

I have the Italian era Husky when they belonged to Cagiva / MV Agusta from early 1990's to 2013-ish, before they got bought up by KTM who basically scrapped the entire lineup to only rebadge existing KTM's as Husqvarna. Probably great machines, but I'm not a fan of those bikes..

Mine is a 2011 TE630 enduro model, which I have converted over to supermoto using a complete front end off an SMR race bike. Completely new wheels, forks, brakes, shock, plastics, etc... With all of the engine mods it should now be right around 55-60hp, and it weights around 280 pounds. It's a fun bike and you can do stuff with it that you never thought was possible with a motorcycle.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts