Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, until the option to trade for my Z came up, I had never heard of it. I was raised on Harleys and later Buells. We always had quads and the occasional dirt bike but never anything remarkable. The thought of having a sport bike was never something that interested me. Other than a few Ducati models owned by friends I couldn't have told you much about them either. Then this wonderful hybrid fell in my lap. I get all of the enjoyment of a sport bike without having to visit the clinic after every ride!

I love my bike now. After making it my own and adjusting to the riding style of it, I wouldn't have it any other way.

What was the defining moment for the members here that made this bike something you wanted? Styling? Power? Handling? I am just curious of what makes up a Z rider's mind when picking this over other nakeds on the market.

:eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
100% due to the $1500 price tag. If I would have chose a bike, I would have gotten a CBR. But I am very happy with my Z and plan to keep it till its pointless to have anymore.

'03 Z

·
Registered
305 Posts
Saw the YouTube reviews and motorcycle test ride videos and had to have one.

Haven't looked back since.

#3rd gens for life!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Decided I did not like the idea of paying the insurance company a 250% premium for a "race bike". Did some research and found that there were a couple of choices where manufacturers made effectively the same bike without plastic and the insurance guys called them "sport touring" or "standards" and cut the insurance by a huge margin.

The Z1000 and the FZ-1 were the two that peaked my interest, and let's be honest, Kawasaki did a way better job with the styling.

Found a good deal on a buddy's friend's bike with next to no kms on it, and voila!

$149/year insurance and a litre bike with some pretty spectacular handling between my lets. Win/Win.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Power Delivery
Seating Position
Handle Bar
Insurance
Handling
Minimal Plastic

·
Registered
243 Posts
As my dad pointed out. The bike has an attitude problem. Also it eats children, no one knows what it is, surprises supersports when I pass them in a turn(People around here cant corner for ****)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was looking for a larger engine with a more vertical position and handlebars. Was initially looking at a new FZ-09 or duke 690 but happened across a Z review on YouTube, found a NOS '13 for an awesome price an hour from me and have been loving every minute of it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I was away from bikes for a while - work and family commitments.
When it came time again I didn't want a CBR or R1. I liked the new MT-07 or 09. Looked around online reviews and the Z won. Also, the Z1000 has been a major player for a long time.
I am glad I went for the Z, I am loving it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was between the z and cbr1000r. Test rode both and the z scared the crap out of me. Accidentally wheelied twice and it sounded mean as hell. Sold.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Was a cruiser rider since the beginning, got 2 V-rods, felt I had learned all I could learn from a cruiser. Never really cared for sport bikes, started watching MotoGP, decided I want a bike that can actually turn. Tried a super sport, ****ing hated it... too uncomfortable and insurance was ludicrous. Started looking at standards, found the 4th gen Z1k. Wanted it... could not afford it... a used 3rd gen showed up and my guy at the dealer called me.... and presto my 12 Z1K is mine! Loving it so far! More comfortable than a cruiser with mid pegs, faster, lighter, and more nimble as well. Insurance still sucks.... but gotta pay to play.

3B

·
Registered
141 Posts
Was going to get a Diavel but in Oz, on the road, was going to cost about 30K. Wasn't in any rush. Popped over to a local dealer I knew one morning for nothing more than a chat - had time to kill. (They stock Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph, and a few others). They threw me the keys for a Speed Triple for the morning and on my return, gave me the keys to a 2013 Z1000 for the afternoon - just to play with. Rode out that afternoon with a brand new 2014 Z1000. Just fell in love.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My friend was looking to buy a bike so I went to the dealer with him. I was wanting a new cruiser but wasn't seriously looking. A few bikes down the row from what my friend was looking at was a Z. The styling caught my eye. Then I sat on it and it felt perfect for me. I bought the Z before my friend bought his bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sold my CBR600 for a deposit to buy a house, 1 year later it was time to buy another bike because my crotch itched for one..... like full itched... and my missus is awesome and wanted me to get another one.....

The problems with supersport were that they are not comfortable to commute on. Sore back, turning sucks at slow speeds, low speed manauvers were a chore.
When I took it to the track it was excellent, knee hit the deck, toes scraped, pegs ground down, smiles were wider than the vertical smiles at the local watering hole....

enough about your mum's sex life though.... ;)

I rode a bunch of bikes that didn't look totally gay, was after comfort, power, and riding experience. The Z looked WAY better than anything else I rode with the same comfort/power (please note that the CB1000 is no longer in AUS, or I probably would have said that looked better... single side swing arms are my Achilles heel :) and the Euro models look dope).

Long story short, I accidentally popped up the front on my test ride dragging off a worked turbo golf. Yep, a golf.... wheelied right next to him and lost the traffic light challenge. How embarrassing. This was the best drag I had ever been in though, even after a pitiful loss, the torque was intoxicating, the wheelbase was so small it was like i was on a push bike, and I bought the bike (well, a new one that I hadn't given a hiding on a test ride ;) ). few weeks of ownership, I am still short shifting trying to keep revs under 6K as per manual (yawn) and I still popped it up with a mistimed clutch.

Never... Going.. Back...

Might get track only bike... can get a CBR600 for about 5k for track only. (less if i want an old thrashed street version)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These bikes really are a rare breed. I honestly don't see how they aren't more popular in the US. Although, given the recent offerings from Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki that may be changing. A lot more nakeds being seen at local shops. I did eye a Triumph Speed Triple R a few weeks back that was a thing of beauty though...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Loved the 3rd gen since first time I saw one at a moto expo in Brisbane few years ago, had a little ninja 300 for about two and a half years till three weeks ago when I decided it was time to get one of my dream bikes, so pulled the trigger and got a 2010 zed with 30000 k's on the clock, double akra pipes, bar end mirrors, dyno tuned etc, even though I wanted to get a 4th gen I decided to save some cash and start the naked bike road with this one for now, which I'm loving cause its just intoxicating in every level. Some day I might pulled the trigger again and get a 4th gen or 5th if it comes later on in a couple of years, but for now this beast has plenty to teach me and keep me satisfied for years.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts