Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 2005 Yamaha XT225 for someone.... and test riding this little thing a blast! So easy to throw into a corner, light, agile, can be run at highway speeds, 65-75 mpg, and off road capable!!! :dontknow:

Make me re-think that '09 Kawasaki Super Sherpa I wanted a few years back....:D

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
the super sherpas are alot of fun. i got out of the dirtbike scene. got my son an 05 crf 50. really enjoy watching him ride it. i have rode it around the yard mysely lol

·
Registered
803 Posts
Little street legal enduro bikes are a blast. I think one would be perfect for running errands and short distances on rural roads. A ton better than a scooter.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st Gear is about worthless, but still lots of fun. I would have never thought a single cylinder 223cc ICE could haul my fat ***** up to 77mph, but is does!

good to hear from you Jim, thought you fell off the face of the earth!

·
Registered
153 Posts
kawtoy, I'm glad you feel the same way. I put 7,600 miles on a Yamaha XT225 as my first bike. That thing was bulletproof! Never burned a lick of oil.

I slapped on a rear sprocket with 8 more teeth than stock to eliminate the short first gear problem -- I could just take off in 2nd after the new sprocket. :lol: My gas mileage was around 76 mpg average before the sprocket change and around 69 mpg after.

Since I liked that thing so much, I had a Honda XR650L for about 2,500 miles worth, but it was just a tad disappointing in the acceleration department. It would do 90-95 mph top speed, though! Also, the 11 inches of travel were incredibly comfortable on the crappy roads in rural Indiana.

Anyway, in the vein of this topic, I think I might like to eventually get an adventure touring bike to throw in the garage with the Z just so I can do off-road jaunts again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had an XT350. That was a cool bike. Ok for light trail stuff and fire roads. I have a XR650R converted to street with a baja kit. The big red pig was AWESOME offroad. Great for jumps, gnarly trails...and the like. Just heavy.

Oh, and ate knobbies on the street like it was no one's biz.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, I'll bet the 650 is fun off road. I think it would be best in a wide-open off-road scenario like a desert or open plains as compared to a forest or trails. I'd rather have a 250-450 for something like that. For zipping around on the street, the 650 is king among the dirt bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts