Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought a Z1000 '09 of which the service history is not known and I want to change the oil as I have no idea when the last time it was changed was.
I was looking at the service manual and noticed it only requires an oil change every 10-12k km. I am wondering whether you guys follow this or do it sooner, and if so, at how many kilometers.

Keeping the oil for 10-12k seems way too long to me. I've always been used to changing it at 1500km on the supermoto I had and 3-4000 km for my racer.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
On my 2012, I've done an 8500 mile/13,000km interval. You can tell when the oil really needs changed, because shifting gets crunchy.

The '12 has a scheduled 7500 mile/12,000km interval. this is all on regular non-synthetic oil. Bike works fine with synthetic and part-synthetic and regular in my 47,000 mile experience.

Also, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I change it every riding season, but I don't ride much at the moment. I suppose I would stick to a 3k interval for conventional oil and 5k for full synthetic. There are many opinions posted about this on another thread too. Up to the owner. gl

·
Registered
13 Posts
I change my oil every season on my 2012 and I only put on 2,500 miles/4,000 km. Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10w-40 or Castrol Power 1 4t 10w-40 is normally what I use, I prefer the mobil to me it seems to shift smoother.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me, personally I change it every 3K miles (5K km), BECAUSE bike engines rev higher than anything else and oil circulates in the engine much faster than anything else, BUT I wouldn't go ABOVE what the actual manual says, otherwise you're damaging the engine. ALSO, understand the engine oil is also for your clutch as well, think about that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts