Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get me a go pro soon so I can prove it but when i got my new chain put on I had a highway stretch pf a mile so obviously had to try it out speedometer says I touched 173 no ecu flash or powercommander but i am 125 Lbs

·
Registered
33 Posts
i'd be looking at a phone mount and a gps speedo before a gopro , factory speedo's are usually inaccurate by 6 or so kph at normal speeds so this difference would grow immensely going that fast , saying that i haven't been in a good situation to fully wrap out the zed through 5th but it'll happily hit 250kph with plenty to go.

what year model z you on? , sounds like one of the earlier ones since 3rd gen onwards were only really geared to do 250ish in 6th

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'd be looking at a phone mount and a gps speedo before a gopro , factory speedo's are usually inaccurate by 6 or so kph at normal speeds so this difference would grow immensely going that fast , saying that i haven't been in a good situation to fully wrap out the zed through 5th but it'll happily hit 250kph with plenty to go.

what year model z you on? , sounds like one of the earlier ones since 3rd gen onwards were only really geared to do 250ish in 6th
I have a 2003 gen 1 before I had got a new chain out on I had hit 168mph and that was before i had replaced it but I haven’t got a Ecu flash or a power commander yet so you probably are right but I’m definitely ready for some scar packs

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
470 Posts
the 3rd gen (and most probably 4th gen as well) is gearing limited to around 155mph indicated. At Autoclub Speedway (NASCAR oval track near me), I'm able to just barely hit the rev limiter in 6th before I hit turn one. I have ever so slightly taller gearing of 14/39 (2.78 ratio) while stock is 15/42 (2.8 ratio), but that's negligible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
the 3rd gen (and most probably 4th gen as well) is gearing limited to around 155mph indicated. At Autoclub Speedway (NASCAR oval track near me), I'm able to just barely hit the rev limiter in 6th before I hit turn one. I have ever so slightly taller gearing of 14/39 (2.78 ratio) while stock is 15/42 (2.8 ratio), but that's negligible.
this'll be altered as well if you got the 55 rear tyre /or a extended redline , im kinda betting my bike will be like a corvette where it'll go faster in 5th than it will 6th but i haven't been game to find that out yet.

Reactions: Zandhis1000

·
Registered
470 Posts
this'll be altered as well if you got the 55 rear tyre /or a extended redline , im kinda betting my bike will be like a corvette where it'll go faster in 5th than it will 6th but i haven't been game to find that out yet.
the speedo reads the same regardless of rear tire size. With stock gearing and tire, it's about 3-5% optimistic compared to actual speed when measured with GPS. If you put a 200/55 on it then that should correct the built in error and read closer to actual GPS speed. However not all tires are made equal, they are all different physical size regardless of what the size markings say. For instance a 200/55 in Bridgestone and Metzeler is more like a 190/55 in Michelin and Pirelli, since those tires run tall whereas Bridgestones usually run pretty short. Unfortunately it's not a precise science, so when you switch brands you should correct ride height for the change, if you're anal about it like me.

I'm pretty sure that with stock gearing you should be able to hit the limiter in 6th regardless of tire size. Once you start lowering your gearing then it might be HP / wind drag limited. I'm only gone +185mph on a sportbike, never on a naked. But one of my friends does have a StreetFighter V4S which he offered to let me ride on track. Would be really curious to see what a naked feels like a 180, tho the front straight on most track isn't long enough to get there. A typical track the Z gets up to 130, while a superbike would hit 155 before turn 1. Autoclub Speedway (and Willow Springs to some extent) however has such a longer straight that you can really winde it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts