Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Stock Kawaski 10-40 bike oil so far....Changed at 400 mile. and again at 1st service at 990 miles...I run the super mag on the filter to help trap the metal into the filter...
Have 1887 miles so far....
As to Mobil1 guys....Brock's has quit using it as it was causing welded up or screwed
clutches....They love QuakerState...I will never use it!
I think after 4 or 5000 miles I will switch to synthetic....Maybe Kaw brand...Maybe something else...But something bike rated for wet clutches....Running car oil for a bike is dumb....Cars don't turn 11,000 rpms, bikes do....You need a oil that can handle that without breaking down...My jet-ski gets Marine oil....my bike gets bike oil,and my truck gets car oil....

Enough ranting, I am going for a ride!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Lucas racing motorcycle blend cheap and the best of both worlds nuff said.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys,

Please could anyone tell me if I have to use full synthetic oil, or part synthetic?

Can I not use normal oil, that is not synthetic? I would like to do oil and filter changes every 5000km's.

Help would be awesome.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I bought my bike about 5 months back, and she is a 2013 model
:smile:

We try to run "the best" oil. What's the best? Depends on who you ask. I use Mobil 1 Racing 4t. Probably completely unnecessary. The thing you want to pay attention to is how it performs in the gearbox (transmission). Thats where it could really make a difference.

'03 Z

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Cooling differences or breakdown (of oil) differences?

'03 Z
according to what i have been reading before...

PAOs- better cold flow, resist chemical contamination very well, and cause seals to shrink and harden. so better for storage longer periods

Esters- stick to metal and form strong films, resist high temperatures very well, and cause seals to swell and soften. - better in high heat exposure, racing etc.

Neither one would make a very good engine oil on its own.. both oils have a percentage of the other just that they differ in additive packages for the intended purpose.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hmm thats interesting. I assume i can find this info on the bottle? I'd definitely need more mix of the warmer temp stuff.

'03 Z

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
yeah pretty much..
famous good oil reviews for motorcycles for racing and extreme heat or turbo aplications would be the maxima (maxum 4 synthetic), redline and motul (300v is overkill)
you would find them in their websites ans stuff all oils would say extreme protection against wear etc. on the bottles
the amsoil, mobil 1, castrol are aslo good, i use amsoil myself, had a difference with shifting compared to mobil 1..
but unless you dont go race or abuse the bike then any is fine as long as you change them regularly with oem oil filters..

don't quote me on this but these are what i have gathered so far..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Was using Motul 5100 but, now going to Amsoil. I use it in my car and love it! I'll give it a shot and I'm going to use their filter too.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Let us know what difference going to amsoil rob..
I have not tried motul yet however...
Amsoil have good specs and are on par with ester based oils..

·
Registered
21 Posts
That really makes sense about the whole gearbox thing.
I remember a few months back gear changes being silky smooth, and now, while the gears never jump or stick, they often feel 'clicky'

Looking forward to that smooth stuff again...

Thx guys

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use either Amsoil or Mobil 1 10w40, whichever I feel like buying at oil change time. I had used Rotella 5w40 in the past, didn't notice much performance difference from the other oils, but when I drained it from my BKing, it was kinda bubbly/foamy, so I'll stick with Amsoil or Mobil 1 for now.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts