Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, Whats your personal choice for Engine Oil, ? I personally use Shell Rotella Syn 5w-40.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Amsoil all the way. 10W40 for the bike, 10W30 for the cars (XL series, change twice a year) and SAE 30 for the mower. I don't double drain intervals on the bike like they recommend though since she gets wrung out pretty good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For the Z Motul 5100 10w-40 to 2600mi. Motul 7100 20w-50 to 5200mi. Next oil change 7500mi. Motul 300v 15w-50 here on out.

For the Vulcan, Sportster, and Dyna Lucas 50w

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a little FYI for those that use car oil,
You need to understand that if the oil bottle says "Energy conserving" on it, that its not the best oil for your wet clutch. Energy conserving oils have special friction modifiers in them that help you get better milage in your car, they also make the wet clutches in motorcycles slip a bit. You may not notice it happening, but the few people that stopped using it and went to Non Energy conserving oils noticed a small difference. Non Energy conserving oils do much better in motorcycles who's engine oil circulates through the transmission.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just a little FYI for those that use car oil,
You need to understand that if the oil bottle says "Energy conserving" on it, that its not the best oil for your wet clutch. Energy conserving oils have special friction modifiers in them that help you get better milage in your car, they also make the wet clutches in motorcycles slip a bit. You may not notice it happening, but the few people that stopped using it and went to Non Energy conserving oils noticed a small difference. Non Energy conserving oils do much better in motorcycles who's engine oil circulates through the transmission.
Exactly! The reason it is "energy conserving" is because of the friction modifiers used to reduce friction. Great for metal parts, not good for wet clutches. A good synthetic is very beneficial in that it resists thermal and viscocity breakdown. Most have antishear additives and such to help with this. A good dino oil made for motorcycles (4T) is the next best thing.

·
Registered
875 Posts
using castrol motorcycle oil 10w40 til after the next(3750) change. at 7500 will switch to full synthetic. was using 20w50 lucas full synthetic motorcycle oil in my last zrx. will probably use it or amsoil. not sure yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My first oil change at 600 miles will be Rotella 15W40, then at 1500 I'll go to either Mobil 1 or Rotella T6 5W40, haven't decided yet.

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Motul no longer produces the synthetic oil for Kawaski. If you have the old bottle that says "100% Synthitic" on the label with a red cap and black bottle that is Motul E tec 100. If you have the new stuff that says full synthetic in a grey bottle it is not produced by Motul. I beleive the new line of oils that were introduced about a year ago are blended by Citgo. If it is Motul it will say so on the back label in small letters on the bottom. The Motul stuff is good stuff. I used to use it in my 03 Z1000.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Castrol 10W40 semi synthetic :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hard to conclude anything from this thread since everyone has a personal favorite. :)

Mine is Mobil 1 Racing 4T full synthetic.

I have used Mobil 1 in all my cars for years. I figure if it's the factory fill oil for Porsche, Corvette, Mercedes, Nissan GT-R, etc. there must be a good reason. Mobil says that over 60 car makes and models around the world use Mobil 1 as the factory fill oil.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts