Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The workshop manual says 4.0 US gallons, the period reviews say 4.8 (US?) gallons, while I have never ever been able to put more than 3.1 US gallons into the tank even after the fuel gauge has been on the last bar and blinking for 20 miles, and that's with the tank filled to the brim.

Has anyone ever put more than 3.1 gallons into a 3rd gen? For me that equates to 110 miles, pretty much regardless of how aggressive I ride.

·
Registered
207 Posts
They probably published total fuel tank volume and not usable fuel tank volume. it makes the numbers look better on paper for marketing. You never really wanna take fuel directly from the bottom of the tank because that’s where the dirt is going to be so usually your fuel pick up point will be above that like 12 mm or greater to get the “clean” fuel. Also need some air in the tank for thermal expansion of the fuel which is usually around 5% of the total of the tank volume.

·
Registered
38 Posts
4.1 US Gallons. I got 84 miles on my first tank, and then it hovered around 120 for several thousand miles. Lately I have been getting over 140 a tank(this sucks when I am trying to run the tank dry to ship overseas or back and I am expecting 125 to 130, max!). My mileage has increased over time and with usage. I also find she likes to be handled rough. The harder I an on her, the better mileage I get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts