Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, no kidding.

I had my baby all fixed up and minty again on monday. After putting on all the new parts, the only thing that wasn't perfect on it was a small dent in the tank (looked like someone hit it with a pencil to hard).

On wednesday i took it out for it's first "back from the grave" ride. Some local yoohoo thought it was a good idea to cover his car's oil spill in gravel. I made a left turn (not hot dogging it or anything, just turning) at about 20-25mph, and the rear slide out. It then grabbed hard, and the bike highsided me off. I landed about 10-15 feet away, mostly on my right shoulder, and back. My head hit the ground pretty hard.

i got up, got my bike up, and checked out the damage. I had no bleeding, and everything felt ok (thumb and shoulder were a little sore, but that's to be expected). The bike had two turn signals destroyed, a larger dent in the gas tank, Broken off right peg, a nice big crack on the plastics i had installed two days earlier, tons of nicks and scratches on the exhaust, and a bent to hell and back front brake lever.

I rested my foot on the engine case (broken peg) hit the hazards and started on home. Around then i got really really dizzy, and disoreinted. then i felt like throwing up. when i got home, i called my sister who is a nurse, she said i prolly had a concussion and that i should go get looked at.

Went to the doctors who said I had a concussion, they suggested a catscan to look for any internal damage. They did one, said i looked OK now.

I got more parts coming (thanks to Notabiker for finding those china levers retail, ordered me a set). Moral of the story, wear your gear. I broke my shoei but luckily, nothing else:)

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
hate to hear that man, u just got it all fixed up. atleast u r ok.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would much rather hear you broke your Shoei, LOL....

all funny business aside.... thats terrible man! hope nothing got knocked too outta wack on you, or the bike!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man, seems to be a bad month for me. Atleast I have all winter to Fix it up again.

Definitely glad I had my gear on.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would much rather hear you broke your Shoei, LOL....

all funny business aside.... thats terrible man! hope nothing got knocked too outta wack on you, or the bike!
Haha, off with the shoei, on with the HJC :)

Thanks. Everything seemed ok on the ride home (aside from no pet and crazy front brake lever, lol). Glad I have a naked bike, she's takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin':thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
From a SHOEI to an HJC huh? Thats an odd switch! Isn't Shoei a premium priced helmet and the HJC much cheaper? Or is that the reason to your madness?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah my shoei was about $400, hjc's are about 150.

I had my HJC first, bought the shoei about a month ago. Now that it took such a big hit, I'll be back in the HJC till I buy a replacement shoei, lol:D

Although that icon carbon lifeform in white looks Pretty sweet...

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I think I would sell that bike. Just saying, three strikes your out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Don't let the price fool you. I raced HJC for years. Only had one off with it. The truth is, you can buy a 1000 dollar helmet if you like but if it truly doesn't fit your head properly, you might as well have bought a cheap Walmart helmet. The helmet that fits your head prope IS the safest helmet, no matter who makes it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Take it easy with that concussion. Not a joking matter. Each one you get makes it worse for you.

We had a guy at work I was fairly close with who died a few months back. He was in his 3/4 ton F-250 pickup. A car rear ended him at high speed, enough to fold back his seat. He had a concussion but didn't check it out until it was too late (2 weeks). His headaches got worse each day and he felt like his body was disintegrating from the inside out. He got the MRI done and died while waiting for the results.

The word that got around work was his brain was so badly hemmorhaged that it wasn't funtioning properly, then gave out. That was the grapevine version of the MRI result anyway.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't let the price fool you. I raced HJC for years. Only had one off with it. The truth is, you can buy a 1000 dollar helmet if you like but if it truly doesn't fit your head properly, you might as well have bought a cheap Walmart helmet. The helmet that fits your head prope IS the safest helmet, no matter who makes it.
Yeah totally, my HJC is snell and DOT approved, plenty enough for Me. The main reason I bought the shoei was the low noise, and excellent venting. I wore my buddies when I visited him in Hawaii and rent a 6R. Good touring helmets!

New shoei, or new pipes to replace my damaged ones....... PIPES! :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take it easy with that concussion. Not a joking matter. Each one you get makes it worse for you.

We had a guy at work I was fairly close with who died a few months back. He was in his 3/4 ton F-250 pickup. A car rear ended him at high speed, enough to fold back his seat. He had a concussion but didn't check it out until it was too late (2 weeks). His headaches got worse each day and he felt like his body was disintegrating from the inside out. He got the MRI done and died while waiting for the results.

The word that got around work was his brain was so badly hemmorhaged that it wasn't funtioning properly, then gave out. That was the grapevine version of the MRI result anyway.
For sure, that's why I got the catscan. The doctor said "we can either cut you loose, or look to see if there is any damage that I can't diagnose pyschically, using the scan."

The thought of falling asleep and not waking up, pretty scary!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. As you know by now parts are just parts. They can be broken and replaced many times over. You might just be that "cat" with 9 lives and have many more to go. Fixer up and ride on...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Plastics are overrated anyways bro. That's why we ride Z's!!! You don't even need the tail!!! hahaha zip tie that taillight to the subframe on and you're back on the street!!!

For real though, glad you're ok bro. :eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Glad to hear your OK, I wear a $60 scorpion EX-400 best helmet I've ever owned, fits like a glove

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think I would sell that bike. Just saying, three strikes your out.
you are right, do not blame the road conditions. in 40 years of riding i have had every road hazard thrown at me and no wreack . like a tire in my lane , i keep a very safe distance between me and the car in front of me just for that reason. i always turn corners at less than legal speeds cuzz stuff on the road will ruin your day.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
you are right, do not blame the road conditions. in 40 years of riding i have had every road hazard thrown at me and no wreack . like a tire in my lane , i keep a very safe distance between me and the car in front of me just for that reason. i always turn corners at less than legal speeds cuzz stuff on the road will ruin your day.
thats stirring the pot a little bit:headshake:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
A visable tire in your lane and engine oil intentionally disguised are two different things.

And honestly, I really don't care what you have or have not hit, or you're opinion on the matter.:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts