Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am not only a new owner of a 2003 z1000, but a first time motorcycle owner. I am trying to learn as much as I can so bear with me. After purchasing this new Zed, I explored these forums a bit and discovered that I am very glad with my purchase. It may not be an ideal starter bike, but it is (in my opinion) a generally awesome machine.
My 03 z1000 black and red, and has been down once(right side). It has just a bit over 28k miles on it. I sent it on back to the dealership to have some things addressed with it. It is not stock, and came with an integrated tail, aftermarket levers, as well as what I assume to be LED front turn signals. The exhaust appears to be stock, but gutted perhaps. It is LOUD. I love it.
As far as riding in general goes, I plan on scheduling my MSF basic riding course soon in order to get my endorsement. I have shogun frame-sliders ordered, and have dropped some money on a jacket, helmet, and gloves. My boots arent the best but will have to do. I also am looking to get proper riding pants but am not able to right now. I have downloaded the 03 z1000 owner's manual PDF.
I have gotten into riding because of friends. They are all into super sports, and have been a wealth of information for me to draw from as I need. I intend on learning my machine, and how it differs from theirs in order to best ascertain any differences in technical riding aspects as I begin learning to ride.

Any input for general comfort/quality of life modifications as well as simply practical ones are appreciated. The bike doesnt look so hot right now, due to some cosmetic damage. I don't mind the cosmetic damage so much at the moment. I would also love input on any popular performance mods, although I likely won't be focusing on them much.
I will not complain at any bits of knowledge from you all, and will appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome to the Z and riding in general. Be careful out there. Most 2wheel wipeouts happen in your 12 o’clock so lookout for the phone blind cagers, and expect the worst in cross traffic. Much of survival on the street is pure luck, but practice your hard braking. It can save your life. Quick downshifts help to keep the rear from locking/sliding and front brake is 75% of your stopping power. Keep your tires, brakes and oil fresh and have fun!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the Z and riding in general. Be careful out there. Most 2wheel wipeouts happen in your 12 o’clock so lookout for the phone blind cagers, and expect the worst in cross traffic. Much of survival on the street is pure luck, but practice your hard braking. It can save your life. Quick downshifts help to keep the rear from locking/sliding and front brake is 75% of your stopping power. Keep your tires, brakes and oil fresh and have fun!
My MSF basic rider course is scheduled for the 14th-16th. I expect the Z back from the shop tomorrow. I have a lot of experience to draw from and intend to utilize it in order to prevent getting dead. I would like to think I am going about this decently. I look forward to getting barend mirrors as well as a more comfy seat depending on how I feel about the stock one over time. I am very excited.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That’s cool have you ridden dirt or anything before? I found the required “safety” course here in TX somewhat of a joke, but I just went along. Instructor was an idiot. We don’t have helmet laws here, and be pulled up on his bike(Harley) at the cone course not wearing a helmet. I could have rode circles around this dipsht. Did the hard stop in the box test on their Honda rebel like he probably has never seen.. he said “umm maybe don’t come in so hot next time but that’s good..” it’s an easy pass I dont think anyone actually fails it. This chick kept stalling it and fell over at least twice that I saw, and she passed. No fkg way she should be on the street but there you go that’s our outsourced system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s cool have you ridden dirt or anything before? I found the required “safety” course here in TX somewhat of a joke, but I just went along. Instructor was an idiot. We don’t have helmet laws here, and be pulled up on his bike(Harley) at the cone course not wearing a helmet. I could have rode circles around this dipsht. Did the hard stop in the box test on their Honda rebel like he probably has never seen.. he said “umm maybe don’t come in so hot next time but that’s good..” it’s an easy pass I dont think anyone actually fails it. This chick kept stalling it and fell over at least twice that I saw, and she passed. No fkg way she should be on the street but there you go that’s our outsourced system.
I've never ridden dirt. The extent of my riding experience is on the back of a 636 going far too fast. The folks I am going to be riding with ultimately dislike Harleys (putting it lightly). However, due to the known quality instruction at the local Harley dealership's Basic Riding Course, I will be attending classes there, because that is what they have suggested. It is three days, and seems to be pretty thorough. I know that you can fail, also. It is over the course of three days. I intend on dedicating actual time practicing before going full hooligan. I get the bike back tomorrow and starting to learn basics in the neighborhood. It has different types of turns and a giant straight, with low traffic volume. All I've done is get moving by releasing the clutch and applying just a tad of throttle to walk the bike around.

·
Registered
362 Posts
There are some courses given here by the local moonlighting bike cops. I signed my son up for that one when he took his class M at 15. Those guys were top notch professionals. Never seen a full fairing bagger worked with such agility and grace.
Be safe and don’t be afraid of it. Fear and respect are two different things, and it sounds like you want to ride, so that’s really all you need. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my Zed. I am still waiting on my riding course, but my friend had me doing figure eights and shifting in a large parking lot. Unfortunately he went down hard the other night and is caught up in the local trauma center. I went through the maintainence manual and pieced together the exhaust situation. I believe it is stock and gutted. The muffler caps appear to be riveted back on. As for the pipes...well...its a little obvious.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
My son also has a black red 2003. Love the bike. His has 45k and climbing. Muzzy exhaust etc. Here's what we have found. the stock rear shock is pretty bad. His was almost seized, so ,for now we replaced it with a
a low mile replacement stocker. Apparently they can be revalved. Radiator shrouds are almost impossible to find used. If you have any hand cramps try Grip Puppies. Cheap and they work.
He replaced his Corbin seat for stock. He likes it better. It's been reliable except we've been having some heat related issues. Don't know for sure if we fixed it. Hasn't been hot enough to find out. The bike is a hoot on twisties. it can easily keep up with the sporty guys, in way more comfort. It's just a great all around bike. Enjoy yours.

Mad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My son also has a black red 2003. Love the bike. His has 45k and climbing. Muzzy exhaust etc. Here's what we have found. the stock rear shock is pretty bad. His was almost seized, so ,for now we replaced it with a
a low mile replacement stocker. Apparently they can be revalved. Radiator shrouds are almost impossible to find used. If you have any hand cramps try Grip Puppies. Cheap and they work.
He replaced his Corbin seat for stock. He likes it better. It's been reliable except we've been having some heat related issues. Don't know for sure if we fixed it. Hasn't been hot enough to find out. The bike is a hoot on twisties. it can easily keep up with the sporty guys, in way more comfort. It's just a great all around bike. Enjoy yours.

Mad
I can't wait to get on it after this weekend. I am not sure at all how to go about getting a full exhaust. I can't seem to find them anyway and will likely be asking a very reputable shop in my area. As far as the seat goes, I will be holding off on a new one until I am sure I dislike the stock one. I also intend on waiting to get tank pads. I have decided on getting round Barend mirrors, a phone mount, maybe a radiator guard if it is advised by my friend and mechanic of choice. I am going to be paying attention to the vibrations too. I see many folks complain about them. If they become an issue I will address it. The Puig windscreens are on closeout sale on Revzilla right now, so I ordered one even though I wanted to wait to be sure. I think whoever did the Catdelete on this zed didn't get it tuned after. Its slower than it is supposed to be stock.
Enough of my rambling. I intend on doing some heavy modifications to this in the future as I become more confident as a rider, and can afford to get it tuned right after. I am not opposed to getting the parts now due to availability issues I seem to be seeing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's slower than it is supposed to be stock.

May I ask how you've verified this, and
what you're comparing against?
Sure. People more experienced than I have been unable to get it up to the manufacturer listed top speed. Not the best, I know, but its what I got right now. Let me know if I am mistaken in this. (I very easily could be)

As far as updates go: I completed my basic rider course and just need to get my endorsement on my license. I also ordered some barend mirrors, frame sliders (have had issues with reseller availability), and gel grips after feeling the high frequency vibrations. I also am placing an order for boresnake here soon. I assume this will mitigate the issue greatly. My Puig windsceen has arrived, also. If anyone has input, it will be much appreciated.

Sidenote: This bike is loud. I love it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Manufacturers top speed means nothing as does your friend's attempts to match it. Different conditions , different gearing, hell, different continents. Look at the spark plugs. If they are really white you're running lean and should add a Power Commander or have the ECU flashed. For real results, have a shop do a Dyno run. That's the only way to really know what's going on.

Mad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Manufacturers top speed means nothing as does your friend's attempts to match it. Different conditions , different gearing, hell, different continents. Look at the spark plugs. If they are really white you're running lean and should add a Power Commander or have the ECU flashed. For real results, have a shop do a Dyno run. That's the only way to really know what's going on.

Mad
Appreciated. I will likely do it eventually either way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: Gel grips helped a lot. I only feel vibes when I am gripping too hard. Its a nice reminder. Will be habit soon. Nextly, I want some tank pads but will either need to get my dinged up tank fixed, or find an OEM black one. I got the frame sliders and barend mirrors on. CRG lanesplitters with the rhinomoto barend adapter. I see tanks are usually priced somewhere over $1100. Getting the current one fixed would be about half that, but that won't make it look good. Not sure what to do here. My buddy went down on his 06 636, but I doubt I will get a chance to go for his suspension, so that sucks. This bike is such a blast to ride. Mine pops a TON on deceleration. I love it but hope that isnt an issue.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Pull in the clutch and coast. Unless you like the pops. Personally it drives me nuts on my motard. My Z just rumbles softly, like how I would imagine a sleeping panther. it is awesem

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pull in the clutch and coast. Unless you like the pops. Personally it drives me nuts on my motard. My Z just rumbles softly, like how I would imagine a sleeping panther. it is awesem
Oh I love the pops. I need to have one of my buddies let me know if I got any quad pipe flame action going on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts