Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have a 2003 z1000 and love it but lately i have noticed that when i am downshifting the shifter will stay down and i will have to reach pull it back up to continue my down shift. this has just started in the last couple of months and was wondering if this is a prob that someone else has ran into. i has a fresh oil change with factory oil, chain has less than 1000 miles on it, clutch is starting to get tired but i dont see how that could be the concern. any ideas would be great. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Shifter return spring is broken in the transmission. But check all the hiem joints in the outer shift linkage for binding. If everything is moving freely its the return spring. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but yup it sounds like a 50 cent spring is gonna cost a lot. Unless you know how to split cases and replace it yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks but it doesnt happen all the time just every now and then. do you still think the spring is broken? i checked all of my linkage and all is well there

·
Registered
555 Posts
OUCH! Split the cases!
I'm know nothing about the return spring but if the clutch is getting tired I'd toss in a set of EBC or Barnett HD springs. It is an easy job and if you are still sporting stock springs they will slip around 9k and above with age. I did mine 5k ago and haven't slipped since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts