Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had my clutch replaced and a oil change but for some reason, whenever I go for top speed runs my bike tops out at 135 instead of 150 where it used to top out at. I have a 2016 Z1000 ABS, could it be that I need new spark plugs as I have 11K on the odo?

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I am not a mechanic but you woukd know before going 135-150mph* if the plugs were starting to foul up.

Do the pipe deposits look like that of a tuned bike or one that is running rich?

What caused you to replace the clutch so early? Could that repair be the culprit?

How are your chains & sprockets?

Have you noticed any other areas of lower performance like take off, etc.

John Juan* would know, pm him & then share the answer here.

*& Comfysofa, Ungarisch, etc

Have you followed all the maintenance intervals?

Have you added any upgrades that are those speeds are actually slowing you down ie; slips on, etc.

Have you gained 30lbs in weight?

Are you using the same stretches of road to test?

Using the same gas? Or have you been through a couple of tanks?

At top speed is there any tell tale signs like oxygen starvation, gas shortage, etc.

Did they screw up putting the air box back on?

Is the accelerator cable worn out?

Has Covid 19 subconsciously adding a buffer so you dont end up in an ER?

*wtf I thought that I was the last idiot in the USA?

Where do you live, I might ride over there?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not a mechanic but you woukd know before going 135-150mph* if the plugs were starting to foul up.

Do the pipe deposits look like that of a tuned bike or one that is running rich?

What caused you to replace the clutch so early? Could that repair be the culprit?

How are your chains & sprockets?

Have you noticed any other areas of lower performance like take off, etc.

John Juan* would know, pm him & then share the answer here.

*& Comfysofa, Ungarisch, etc

Have you followed all the maintenance intervals?

Have you added any upgrades that are those speeds are actually slowing you down ie; slips on, etc.

Have you gained 30lbs in weight?

Are you using the same stretches of road to test?

Using the same gas? Or have you been through a couple of tanks?

At top speed is there any tell tale signs like oxygen starvation, gas shortage, etc.

Did they screw up putting the air box back on?

Is the accelerator cable worn out?

Has Covid 19 subconsciously adding a buffer so you dont end up in an ER?

*wtf I thought that I was the last idiot in the USA?

Where do you live, I might ride over there?
As far as upgrades Full System with PC5 with the full system map. my chain and sprockets are still good, however I do notice a little clutch slippage at 5th & 6th around 6-7k every other fear pulls just fine

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
The Experts have spoken however do you not notice the clutch slip in the lower gears under acceleration?*

*I have noticed this issue driving cars buy never on a bike

Why did you replace your clutch before, same issue?

Could a cable adjustment make a difference?

Is there a way to recalibrate the clutch internally?

Did you use Kawasaki OEM Parts?

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Experts have spoken however do you not notice the clutch slip in the lower gears under acceleration?*

*I have noticed this issue driving cars buy never on a bike

Why did you replace your clutch before, same issue?

Could a cable adjustment make a difference?

Is there a way to recalibrate the clutch internally?

Did you use Kawasaki OEM Parts?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Recently replaced the clutch due to them being worn out and also replaced my cable, my friction plates are EBC however so that could be the culprit on this case. The bike pulls strong from the jump no slippage i only notice slippage at the top end in 5th and 6th, I have a spare of OEM friction plates to put in

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Can you hear it slipping?

I know on a car going up a hill, pedal down, your hear the revs increase but nota corresponding increase in speed.

If you personally replaced your clutch you know the answers that I do not - good luck Mate

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perhaps - its the first possibility you can check & rectify
Checked and adjusted my clutch cable and there is still a little slip at the top end but not nearly as bad as before the only problem is is that the cable is can’t adjust anymore as I am close to the end of the thread on the clutch cable, I read on here that it could be caused by the steel plates being warped. But my whole clutch is brand new including steel and friction plates

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Thats the first step out of the way.

Keep asking questions, John Juan, Comfysofa, Jimz, Ungarisch, Maddevil & others know their stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Checked and adjusted my clutch cable and there is still a little slip at the top end but not nearly as bad as before the only problem is is that the cable is can’t adjust anymore as I am close to the end of the thread on the clutch cable, I read on here that it could be caused by the steel plates being warped. But my whole clutch is brand new including steel and friction plates
If there was no freeplay in the clutch lever to begin with you may have already cooked the clutch...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If there was no freeplay in the clutch lever to begin with you may have already cooked the clutch...

View attachment 84632
Clutch lever had a little bit of free play to begin with, I’m guessing it could be the aftermarket EBC friction plates or maybe it could be the last 2 steels at the back of the clutch basket

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have you checked your stackheigth as i sugested in your other topic? All steelplates at 2.6 mm thickness is not the way to go.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you checked your stackheigth as i sugested in your other topic? All steelplates at 2.6 mm thickness is not the way to go.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk
yea im changing that, im going to use only use some of the 2.6 steel plates as required

1 - 18 of 18 Posts