Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know we've talked about this before, but now it's serious. after mods traction is non-existant in first 3 gears. any where fron 2 grand to seven tire spins. which is really irritating. anyone with 2010 0r 2011 with good traction suggestions. am due for 4th rear tire soon with 8,000 miles. any help would be appreciated. also anyone else modded their 2010 0r 2011 with full exhaust and PCv? surely i'm not the only one with this problem.:screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dang dude what mods have you done??

I don't ride nearly hard enough, but I've heard really good things about the Michelin Pilot Power tires. I have the Pilot Road 2CT on my Z1000 and love 'em. I got them because they're better suited for colder weather and rain.

Rob

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jk, first set were the originals. wore the front and back out at the same time 2,000 miles second set shinko raven 009's ran them on my stock zrx had 7,000 on the rear tire when i traded for the z, still had some life left. at 5500 miles the rear was toast which comes out to 3500for it. another 009 at 5500. about 6500 did the dyno tune gained 10 hp at the rear wheel. (full muzzy race exhaust, PCv, and bcm filter) bike spins under hard acceleration in first three gears. bike was spinning some at first on the dyno. 8100 miles today. tire has maybe 500- 800 miles left if i take it easy. need some traction tired of spinning,:screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rob do you have traction problems and how long do your tires last? :screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jk, first set were the originals. wore the front and back out at the same time 2,000 miles second set shinko raven 009's ran them on my stock zrx had 7,000 on the rear tire when i traded for the z, still had some life left. at 5500 miles the rear was toast which comes out to 3500for it. another 009 at 5500. about 6500 did the dyno tune gained 10 hp at the rear wheel. (full muzzy race exhaust, PCv, and bcm filter) bike spins under hard acceleration in first three gears. bike was spinning some at first on the dyno. 8100 miles today. tire has maybe 500- 800 miles left if i take it easy. need some traction tired of spinning,:screwy::screwy::screwy:
Try the Michelin Pilot Road 2's... I was Running the Shinko Ravens and getting a routine 7k out of a rear/ 14k out of the front, and the Pilot Road 2's are past 7k, and I have half of the tread life left. Granted, mine is an '03, but you should still net better results. STG sells them at a decent price as well.:2cents:

·
Registered
109 Posts
WOW!!! How much pressure you running. I'm getting ready to put my 3rd rear and 2nd front. I had stock tires put a conti on the rear now have a set of Q2's. I run 35 34 tire pressure when corning it will spin but straight line she will stand up 1st 2nd 3rd. I'm a big guy though 6'0 290. Right now have two bros slip on. Planing on swapping for a full system Akro and pc and filter. The z has made me say f### them sportbikes lol.:eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Basically you are running sport touring tyres...(ie, made of wood :-S LOL)....so they are not going to be as near as 'grippy' as a full sports/hypersports tyre.

You have to make a choice....longevity with little/poor grip/traction.....or settle for a tyre that will give you 4000klms of sheer pleasure & no 'oh ****' moments :)

Personally, some of my preferred tyres are Bridgstone BT016's, & 015's....Q2's....& Michelin Pilot Pures......longevity, & saving a few $$$ is not as important IMO as the safety that comes with sticky tyres :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
z1, 40 front 36 rear. letr some out of rear yesterday to try and get a few more miles til i can get new tires. kawtoy, what is stg?:screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
When I bought my used Z it have 10k on the clock with Conti-Road Attacks that looked pretty worn. I put another 5k on them and changed to the BT-016. I think I had a bad rear tire and it was completely worn through to the steel belt after 1,400 miles of very agressive canyon riding. I couldn't believe it so I bought another rear to match the front that still looked brand new. I'm glad I did because I really liked the sticky BT-016's and the new tire is looking great (so far) after 1,000 miles.
As for spinning the tires?... I drive an '07 and I have never spun the rear yet. Except thru a water puddle maybe. I'm not sure where you guys get all this power from but I'd like to have this problem too. Most people complaining about tire spin are feeling clutch slip at higher rpms. EBC, Barrett both sell HD springs and are a cheap fix to clutch slip and it works! Maybe I should go test ride a 2011 so I can relate to your problem. Do they really have that much more power then the Gen2?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I always thought the '10-'11 were good for another 7-10 HP out of the box. (don't ask where i came up with the numbers, lol, I can't remember) anyways these guys are running modded newer models on top of that. I can spin the rear on my '03 under hard acceleration in at least 1st & 2nd with no prob. I think that you maybe spinning, and not knowing it sometimes.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
first (stock) tire lasted 2000 miles second tire shinko 009 raven 200/50-17 3500 miles or 5500 total on odometer. mods included the last 1500 miles. next a raven 190/50-17 1000 miles then dyno tune now showing almost 8200 that's 2700miles on this tire. won't last 500 more miles.i'm 54 years old and don't ride all that hard. would like to get at least 5,000 miloes out of a rear tire. my friend said sell it. he has a cbr 1000rr and is 26 and gets better milage than me. :screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
underdog, been riding for almost 40 years and i promise you my clutch is not slipping. i can feel the rear of the bike get loose when i hit it at 3000 to 5000 in first three gears. spins instead of wheelieing in second and third. added 10hp with mods if the the dynos are correct it would be 135hp at the rear wheel. it all comes in quick. and torque is flat. never road a 2nd gen z but i did have a modded zrx that had almost as much hp as the stockz on the same dyno with the same operator.:screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jrick56, I would give the michelin pilot road 2's a shot at least. Try one of these 2ct tires, I have and it almost doubled my mileage on tires after running the Raven 009's

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

Old thread, but I was wondering... what are you guys averaging for tire life?

I'm at 2900 and the rear is starting to flatten a bit already. I have a heavy hand and I commute daily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive never spun a rear tire on a motorcycle before..unless I popped the clutch or the tire was cold......even with a supersport bike. It ALWAYS pulled my front wheel up or grunted and goes! Haha 3rd gear spin is hard to beleve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
im at 1800 on the stock tyres and the rear needs changing, front looks new still! been riding very hard, no spin but plenty of power wheelies and hard accelerating so im not surprised at the mileage

1 - 20 of 32 Posts