Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

I some play in the throttle on my 2005 Z. It has always been there and it is just annoying.

From the idle position i turn the throttle tube about 1/4in or a little less before I get any power.

It is not an issue during movement only on starts from a stand still?

I have took the throttle apart but there does not seem to be a way to correct the issue..

So any thoughts guys????

I was looking at one of these? Could it Help?
G2 Ergonomics Tamer Throttle Tube

$79.95

Item Description

G2 Ergonomics Tamer Throttle Tube
  • Smooths out the abrupt initial power delivery that can accompany some EFI
  • Includes machined 6061 billet aluminum throttle tube with a knurled surface and a 400 cam

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was just looking up the stock replacement and it was $41.00. I like the billet idea but I like everything made of 6160. Have you seen the threads on modifying the throttle ramp speed with zip ties? It seems real easy, cheap, you can place them where you want to modify the ramp speed. Unless the inside of your stock OEM plastic throttle sleeve is really worn and that is where the play is changing the ramp speed might be all you need.

Zip Tie Mod:Zip tie throttle mod pics... : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

Here is a guy doing it with PVC: quick throttle with pvc : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

Hope this will help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like you're just referring to the amount of twist it takes to crack open the throttle..

All you need to do is adjust the cables if there's too much slack. A new throttle grip tube won't improve anything unless you're looking for a different cam shape...

I'm not terribly familiar with the 05 Z, but there should be two cables that exit the throttle housing on the handlebar. One of these cables is pulled to open throttle, the other is pulled to close the throttle (if the return spring happens to break on the throttle body, this second cable is a safety measure so you can still close the throttle).

Anyways, you can't actually shorten the cable to tighten it, but you can lengthen the cable housing to achieve the same effect.

You're first looking to lengthen the housing for the cable that's pulled when you open the throttle. Look for a threaded adjuster along the cable somewhere, it should be near the grip. Loosen the locking nut and turn this barrel adjuster outward until most of the slop is gone from the throttle. Do the same for the return cable, but it's barrel adjuster may be near the engine or somewhere else along the cable.

The throttle should move freely and smoothly, it should snap closed quickly on it's own without any sticky or slow movement. If it is sticky, your cables are too tight or they need lubrication, or both.
When idling, turn the bars lock-to-lock without twisting the throttle, the engine should not rev at all. If it does, the cables are too tight.

You'll never get ALL the slop out of the cables, you might not feel any loose rocking, but the cables and housing will still flex and stretch a but if you force the throttle fore/aft.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Cable adjustment needed! Thats a positive!
THIS.

If you don't have any slack to take up in the cable, then you need a throttle quickener, 1/4 turn throttle, or 1/2 turn throttle. They are hard to find for the first gens anymore.... somebody was making them on riderforums.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts