Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they any issues i should be aware of when running 5w-40 instead of 10w-40? , I currently have a 2016 Z1000 ABS

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Why would you do that?

Pay attention to shifting quality, and change the oil when the quality gets worse. The shift quality seems to be related to the viscosity of the oil, and the 5w-40 should lose viscosity faster than the 10w.

These touch on it more:

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah, unless you live in Alaska or Abu Dhabi, stick with the original 10w40 oil weight. As mentioned, the transmission was specifically tuned for this weight of oil. The Z1000 is somewhat particularly sensitive to what oil you use. I first tried Motul 300V and it did not like it one bit. Many false neutrals between shifts and neutral was a bit more difficult to find. I then switched to the OEM Kawasaki Gold Label 10w40 ($10/qt. at partzilla) and the bike again shifted as good as any of my other bikes.

Also, I generally advise against going more then 2k miles on an oil change if this bike is used primarily for spirited rides (ie. not commuting). Shifting quality really falls off a cliff right around that mileage, but then again I track my bike almost every month and only use it for canyon riding when I do use it on the streets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, unless you live in Alaska or Abu Dhabi, stick with the original 10w40 oil weight. As mentioned, the transmission was specifically tuned for this weight of oil. The Z1000 is somewhat particularly sensitive to what oil you use. I first tried Motul 300V and it did not like it one bit. Many false neutrals between shifts and neutral was a bit more difficult to find. I then switched to the OEM Kawasaki Gold Label 10w40 ($10/qt. at partzilla) and the bike again shifted as good as any of my other bikes.

Also, I generally advise against going more then 2k miles on an oil change if this bike is used primarily for spirited rides (ie. not commuting). Shifting quality really falls off a cliff right around that mileage, but then again I track my bike almost every month and only use it for canyon riding when I do use it on the streets.
I had recently purchased Motul 300v the other day due to the great reviews on it before i used Amsoil which was pretty good but shifting became inconsistent after 2k miles, I will see how the Motul 300v fairs out after I put some miles on the bike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts