Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Skub, it was especially strange when the stock ratios turned out to be incorrect. Now what?

That would have been fun to play with master cylinder placement. I was stuck with having to use one spot.

When I finally assembled it, and fled the brake, it really worked. Just like the chart said it would, go figure?

I really dont have a good answer as to why we cant have a decent rear brake. Mine isnt overly powerful. It will lock up, but you can feel the brake all through the range.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Your new set up will be a 15mm master and 2 34mm pistons, right?

My guess, based on the chart, says you will crap your pants. The rear brake will work, finally, and you wont know what to do with yourself.

My guess is they build these modern systems with abs in mind, and they really, really, seriously dont want you locking the rear brake.

It's also worth mentioning that our stock rear brake pads have an extremely low friction rating. The rating is so low, the only way to stay that low is to buy more original pads. Even the Galfer "gg" pads have a higher rating.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've had my neighbor over last night to weight both of his bikes (675r and 690 SMC), told him about how I've dropped 52 pounds off the stock weight of the bike with the various mods, his response was kinda funny, and brought up a fact that I never once thought about. He said that it's impossible that I've saved that much weight since my bike doesn't have a single piece of carbon-fiber on it. Half jokingly, of course. But up to that point I didn't even realize this; I have ZERO carbon bits on my bike. I have nothing against carbon, when done right I think it can look great, especially in plain-weave and especially in matte lacquer. I might consider replacing the bellipan shield down the line, though I think replacing plastic with carbon doesn't really save any weight.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had my neighbor over last night to weight both of his bikes (675r and 690 SMC), told him about how I've dropped 52 pounds off the stock weight of the bike with the various mods, his response was kinda funny, and brought up a fact that I never once thought about. He said that it's impossible that I've saved that much weight since my bike doesn't have a single piece of carbon-fiber on it. Half jokingly, of course. But up to that point I didn't even realize this; I have ZERO carbon bits on my bike. I have nothing against carbon, when done right I think it can look great, especially in plain-weave and especially in matte lacquer. I might consider replacing the bellipan shield down the line, though I think replacing plastic with carbon doesn't really save any weight.
I think you are down into splitting hairs with c/f. For all the bodywork there is on a Z anyway,the savings will be very slight. Once you've done all the big things,then it's all semantics.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts