Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is where my orange 03 spends it's winter and has it's maintenance done. I have a small bike only garage at my apt with a complete tool set but it is unheated so this is where I spend a lot of time. It's my buddy's who has done very very well for himself. We've been constant friends since before kinder garden, I've got my own set of keys and security code for most of his stuff. He was a Snap On dealer for 15 years and now works for a company which sells stuff you need to outfit a shop so that kinda falls right up our alley. Having 3 different bike racks makes life easier. It's nice to have some room to stretch out.

from left to right that's a 2015 KTM 350 XC-F, 2016 KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT (under blanket), 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure bike, my 03 Z1000 (sans tank), and a new zero mileage 2021 KTM 150 XC (2 strokes rock !!!), and that CT125 is tucked behind the GT somewhere

truly an orange garage if there ever was one

all those boxes and shelves are packed full of goodness

and here is our latest project, a 2021 T350 van, it has less than 20 miles on it and we are already tearing it apart applying sound dampening and insulation. It will be used as a bike hauler / camper so we've got a long way to go on it

check out our industrial air compressor and tire changer wheel in the background

·
Registered
595 Posts
that’s a pretty sweet setup jim. nothing like having access to a full garage. i used to fix all my bikes while parked on the street. don’t miss those days anymore 😅.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In the garage and showing my bike some love.
New tires, new rear brake pads, new sprockets, new low beam bulb and a little cleaning

The tire changer is bolted to the floor thank God, saved myself about $50 per wheel and a days time by doing it ourselves vs taking to the shop. I used the counter-act beads, 1 oz for the front and 2 oz for the rear.

I ended up getting the very expensive (in my opinion) Michelin Road 5's by a mistake on my part. I had been using and really liked the Pirelli Angel ST tires (single compound) but they have been discontinued so I was planning on going with Angel GT's (dual compound) but I couldn't find it in a 120/60 17 front tire and I checked a bunch of websites. I knew the Road 5 was highly rated and they had it in stock so I went with that. After it got delivered to me I realized I had always used a 120/70 17 front and I have no idea why I was thinking I needed a 120/60 but here it is. So I put it on and I'll still have to try it out as I wonder how much it will affect my stance and stability. If it is too twitchy I'll drop the fork legs in the clamps 5mm and try it again. The Road 5's look great and I've heard so much good about them that I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

I went with some EBC Semi-Sintered pads in the rear this time as I fear the "nothing - nothing -locked up" action of the full sintered versions. I've skidded the rear end around a corner three times in the last two years. I'm hoping they give the advertised "more progressive feel".

Letting her drain on the bench overnight finish it tomorrow with some fresh oil (Lucas 20-50 synthetic) and fresh brake fluid.

new shoes !

Already planning for another 1,000 mile plus trip next week to the eastern part of West (by God) Virginia.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
another big trip jimz? how many miles do you have on the z1000 now?
Yea, running back to the heart of the Appalachian Mts where it divides Va and WV. I've ridden all over and I think this spot is the absolute best. The roads them selves are in great condition and their winding routes up and down two large mountain ranges will either excite or humble you. Most of it is 3rd - 5th gear for me and a good run will leave very, very small chicken strips. Looking forward to seeing how good these new tires are.

My bike currently has 18,600+ miles on it, picked it up in 2017 with only 3,800+ miles. So yea, I've been using it but basically for these longer trips only. I've only taken it out once this year to ride around local roads. Was going to go see some friends racing flat track tonight but it started raining, storm warnings.

·
Registered
595 Posts
that sounds so bad a$$. would luv to ride something like that. i miss the epic rides i used to go on and around mount hood in oregon back in the day. so glad to hear you getting this kind of mileage in on your Z. can you tell a difference using that 20W50 oil vs 10W40? i’ve been thinking about switching to 10W50. so hot here in georgia. i think you will like the road 5 tire. lot of great customer feedback on them per revzilla.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts