Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Dont say anything bad against the mentally handicapped mom always said!
But i would like to kick this guy sraight in the ball sack. And give the duche a headache!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Kinda easy to point out differences when you aren't comparing apples to apples.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am curious if the vague front end isn't because of the tires. My '10 Z was incredibly vague until I got the stock Dunlops off of it. That said, Claiming that a modified ZX10R is as good a streetbike as a Ninja 1000 is objectively silly. However, for someone that needs to have a particular image, the Ninja 1000 just won't cut it.

This article reflects the problem that faces our industry. Motorcyclists, particularly in the US, are typically concerned about image above everything else. Image means having a particular look (I'm the next Rossi!) and easy to brag about stats like high HP, low weight, etc. The look and stats would be different for a cruiser fan, but the point is the same. All of these metrics don't add up to great bikes to ride, especially on the street.

Sadly, the industry continues to prey on ignorance and oversimplification and most riders eat it up. It drives sales, but limits broad appeal and development. Look at the various generations of the Z1000. I've seen many riders compare the 1st Gen to the 3rd Gen and say, "The new one barely has any more HP! What a piece of crap!" Even when presented with the dyno charts that show the tremendous improvement in power delivery across the board - a remarkable achievement that no other modern I4 engine has managed - these folks still wave the "peak HP" flag. It's ridiculously out of touch with what matters on a streetbike. But I digress.

I suppose this article just reminds me of a guy I ride with. He has a first gen Hayabusa and laments how overgeared it is. Though it's a beast of a motor compared to a literbike, he still would like better power in the low end and midrange. While he knows a sprocket swap would take care of it, he isn't willing to let go of the fact that, at any given moment, his bike can get to a claimed 200 mph. The image overrides the real-world need.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i stopped worring what rags say about motorcycles a long time ago. according to them my 2004 Z 1000 vibrates like crazy, not true. it has no mid range power, compaired to what, a fz1 has no mid range power . my suspension is week, i do not race my bike, it is a street bike last time i looked. it can do things i cant. if i did what they said i never would have bought my all time FAV motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
i stopped worring what rags say about motorcycles a long time ago. according to them my 2004 Z 1000 vibrates like crazy, not true. it has no mid range power, compaired to what, a fz1 has no mid range power . my suspension is week, i do not race my bike, it is a street bike last time i looked. it can do things i cant. if i did what they said i never would have bought my all time FAV motorcycle.
Well put my friend; I couldn't have said that better myself. I buy what I like, because I like it.... and not for approval from others.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I am curious if the vague front end isn't because of the tires. My '10 Z was incredibly vague until I got the stock Dunlops off of it. That said, Claiming that a modified ZX10R is as good a streetbike as a Ninja 1000 is objectively silly. However, for someone that needs to have a particular image, the Ninja 1000 just won't cut it.

This article reflects the problem that faces our industry. Motorcyclists, particularly in the US, are typically concerned about image above everything else. Image means having a particular look (I'm the next Rossi!) and easy to brag about stats like high HP, low weight, etc. The look and stats would be different for a cruiser fan, but the point is the same. All of these metrics don't add up to great bikes to ride, especially on the street.

Sadly, the industry continues to prey on ignorance and oversimplification and most riders eat it up. It drives sales, but limits broad appeal and development. Look at the various generations of the Z1000. I've seen many riders compare the 1st Gen to the 3rd Gen and say, "The new one barely has any more HP! What a piece of crap!" Even when presented with the dyno charts that show the tremendous improvement in power delivery across the board - a remarkable achievement that no other modern I4 engine has managed - these folks still wave the "peak HP" flag. It's ridiculously out of touch with what matters on a streetbike. But I digress.

I suppose this article just reminds me of a guy I ride with. He has a first gen Hayabusa and laments how overgeared it is. Though it's a beast of a motor compared to a literbike, he still would like better power in the low end and midrange. While he knows a sprocket swap would take care of it, he isn't willing to let go of the fact that, at any given moment, his bike can get to a claimed 200 mph. The image overrides the real-world need.
yes the 2010 zed has A LOT more low down punch than my 2004 zed. not even close. does it matter to me NO. becouse my 04 has good enough low end punch. hell all i must do to go to jail is down shift 1 gear and twist the throttle. my friend has a 2010 zed and it is a very good bike. both bikes are good lookers also . i just prefer the 2003-2006 zed style over the 2010. that is all it is about to me.just like women what looks good to one guy is not so good looking to another fella.with a fender eliminator kit and a muffler swap the 2010 is a very imposing ,bad *** looking motorcycle . i get it.:cool::lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Me too. My 06 Z has more power, and handling, than I'll ever need. I also buy for ME and not for some writer who probably has completely different expectations than I do.
Phil

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'll admit I bought my 2010 Z1000 because of its appearance. And the main reason I don't like the Ninja 1000 is ITS appearance. I like it's gauges and handlebar position better, but the looks do nothing for me. It's not much different than any other Ninja. The Z, however, is distinctive. And wow does it have balls!! :)

Rob

·
Registered
249 Posts
yes the 2010 zed has A LOT more low down punch than my 2004 zed. not even close. does it matter to me NO. becouse my 04 has good enough low end punch. hell all i must do to go to jail is down shift 1 gear and twist the throttle. my friend has a 2010 zed and it is a very good bike. both bikes are good lookers also . i just prefer the 2003-2006 zed style over the 2010. that is all it is about to me.just like women what looks good to one guy is not so good looking to another fella.with a fender eliminator kit and a muffler swap the 2010 is a very imposing ,bad *** looking motorcycle . i get it.:cool::lol:
Notabiker - don't take my comments to be any kind of knock on prior gen Zs. My intent was merely to illustrate what happens when people focus on peak numbers rather than dyno curves. Two bikes can look nearly identical on peak numbers and the engines perform very differently, that's all. One can seem powerful but be crap on the street.

As far as a streetbike goes, I've never seen much of a justification for a supersport beyond the desire for peak power claims. Relative to any generation Z (or the new Ninja 1000), a supersport literbike is worse for the street. That's how the motors are tuned - one focuses on low/mid and one focuses on top end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kinda easy to point out differences when you aren't comparing apples to apples.....
Exactly. They should have both bikes meet in the middle somewhere with after market mods. They modified the 10R to be more comfortable like a tourer spending $5,700. :eek: So it only makes sense to compare it to a Ninja 1000 with a few mods in the sport dept i.e. for suspension and engine performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts