Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what suspension setup you guys run and your weight? Also for the guys that take your bikes out on the track what do you run and how dose it differ from when your riding the road?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good question...I found this in an article from Sport Rider Mag.
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_1005_2010_kawasaki_z1000/viewall.html

SUGGESTED SUSPENSION SETTINGS FRONT Spring preload: 10 turns out from full stiff; rebound damping: two turns out from full stiff; compression damping: 1.75 turns out from full stiff REAR Spring preload: 25mm thread showing; rebound damping: 1.75 turns out from full stiff
Not sure what their weights were, but its a starting point to dial in.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I read somewhere that most jap sportbikes (I'm assuming the Z falls into that category) are built for riders between 140lbs-185lbs. Anything over that, the springs etc, should be upgraded for optimal performance. I'm 280 and I haven't found the perfect settings with the stock suspension and likely never will. My dream is to upgrade front and rear but that would set me back several grand which I'm not willing to do right now. I change bikes a lot so I'd never see the return from that investment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the links guys I'm definitely going to be doing a lot of reading tonight :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
yes I know my 08 is set up for 150 lb rider stock which I am not, seems ok but need stiffer

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think when you buy a bike new, you should be able to choose your spring weights (front/rear) to suit your body type as an option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well finally got some time off and was going to start working on the suspension when i noticed that the left fork was missing the adjustment screw on top for the rebound damping its flush. At first I thought it was capped but I dont see how it could be. Could I be wrong and it actually be capped or could i be dealing with some type of rebuilt fork? The first image is of the Fork I am concerned about and the second one is how i believe it should look.

I prey it is something stupid that i overlooked :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts