Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried to modify the stock mufflers in a z1000? Meaning drilling holes in it to make it louder, What are the effects of it? Rideability issues? Fueling issues? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Drilling mufflers always make a bike sound like junk. I would personally never do it.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I agree with 92K. I've bought bikes with this done and it didn't sound very appealing. BUT, it did make it louder! And I bought it .....sooo, I guess it wasn't all that bad!! lol I guess I just overlooked it thinking I would buy aftermarket later.

It had no effect on fueling. I can't imagine why it would make it ride different... I may ride it different tho >:) I guess if you want loud without spending a lot of money..then you gotta do whatcha gotta do. If it's for the Zed in your avatar, I'd chop those long dogs in half! If done right, it would look much better plus give you the loud you are after :D Z1000Paul did that to his 3rd gen Two Bros pipes and it turned out awesome. Do a search on here for him and take a look.

gl man! let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
just joined the group and reading about exhaust modifications.
down here in Australia I know a bloke, that builds bike exhausts from scratch for a living
he was telling me the best way to get the real motorbike sound on the sx1000 is not the muffler
but putting a Yoshimura or Akrapovic slip-on will help but the trick is the muffler box under the bike is what kills 95%
of the sound, so I took my pipes in minus the muffler he opened the box up from the top and removed all the baffle out of it
then welded it shut again.now its back on, and the bike sounds real again. and looks legal, and so long
as you don't feed it the fat in front of the cops. happy days, And it only cost AUS $180.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Welcome!
Great idea! Is it a bit loud tho? Stock cans with the 'de-cat' mod would probably sound perfect. I know if I did that with the Brawlers it'd be insane loud. -at least I think it would cuz it's kinda loud now. -altho perfect with ear plugs !!.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just joined the group and reading about exhaust modifications.
down here in Australia I know a bloke, that builds bike exhausts from scratch for a living
he was telling me the best way to get the real motorbike sound on the sx1000 is not the muffler
but putting a Yoshimura or Akrapovic slip-on will help but the trick is the muffler box under the bike is what kills 95%
of the sound, so I took my pipes in minus the muffler he opened the box up from the top and removed all the baffle out of it
then welded it shut again.now its back on, and the bike sounds real again. and looks legal, and so long
as you don't feed it the fat in front of the cops. happy days, And it only cost AUS $180.
Whereabouts are you Budge? I’m looking at doing mine. I’m in Northern rivers NSW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whereabouts are you Budge? I’m looking at doing mine. I’m in Northern rivers NSW
south aus davo , update he took the baffles out the muffler box under the bike and the guts out of the catalytic converter
now it looks stock but roars like a sports bike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody tried to modify the stock mufflers in a z1000? Meaning drilling holes in it to make it louder, What are the effects of it? Rideability issues? Fueling issues? Thanks!
I removed square box under bike. Cut open and removed everything inside. Then opened up both silencers and removed the 2 pipes inside. Bike has more power and sounds awesome. Pics attached.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts