Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, i think i need a steering damper ‘cause when i twist the throtle harder the front starts to lift and the whole bike starts to wobble.. does ohlins do steering damper for z1000 or who makes the best steering damper for the z1?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi guys, i think i need a steering damper ‘cause when i twist the throtle harder the front starts to lift and the whole bike starts to wobble.. does ohlins do steering damper for z1000 or who makes the best steering damper for the z1?
you might have other issues, perhaps incorrect wheel alignment, or worn steering bearing, or bent forks or even bent frame. The Z1000 (especially the 4h gen), does not have a very aggressive rake/trail for it to cause speed wobbles under normal conditions. I've significantly changed my bike's geometry, raised rear by over 1" which would have caused my rake to go from 25* degrees to 23.9* degrees, as well as seriously lightened the bike as compared to stock, and I still don't experience speed wobbles, even under very aggressive riding conditions at the race track.

Rather than putting a band-aid in the situation, maybe figure out what is causing the issue in the first place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i don't know if its the same problem , but i found my 2010 was very vulnerable to riding posture under aggressive acceleration as it would get an escalating wobble . i had to teach myself to keep minimal weight on bars and prioritise my legs and back , doing this has fixed my issue as it accelerates stably even while being an ape on it.

if it is the same thing most would recommend a damper , wouldn't hurt to try for the sake of process of elimination.

Reactions: Koggs

·
Registered
471 Posts
you might have other issues, perhaps incorrect wheel alignment, or worn steering bearing, or bent forks or even bent frame. The Z1000 (especially the 4h gen), does not have a very aggressive rake/trail for it to cause speed wobbles under normal conditions. I've significantly changed my bike's geometry, raised rear by over 1" which would have caused my rake to go from 25* degrees to 23.9* degrees, as well as seriously lightened the bike as compared to stock, and I still don't experience speed wobbles, even under very aggressive riding conditions at the race track.

Rather than putting a band-aid in the situation, maybe figure out what is causing the issue in the first place.
It could be something prone to all gen 4. Ever since I replaced the heavy stock bar ends with my own lathed aluminium bar ends about 4 years ago, it tends to get a bit wobbly as well like the topic starter described.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hyperpro units should be fine. Ohlins are wonderful too.

that looks like a really nice damper. you have this one? did you buy the progressive or the linear? i didn’t know they offered each type.

·
Registered
471 Posts
that looks like a really nice damper. you have this one? did you buy the progressive or the linear? i didn’t know they offered each type.
They certainly do! Had the linear one on my gen 2. Cant remember why, the linear over progressive, but I was advised by the hyperpro dealer back then.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

not any of these i got the bike new from kawasaki didn t had any crash is only 3 years old i don t think would be the steering bearing either it isn t a very hard wooble but it is there at aggresive acceleration ...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
mine has always done this from new. I figured a damper would help. Have one now and will install and let you guys know how it works.

Have to wait tho -still at the shop getting the fork seals fixed -correctly this time. I was happy when they called and said it was 'fixed' but when I got there and asked her about the fork seals the chick in charge claimed I never asked to have them checked. Wow, really? ...it was her that I talked to -and this is a dealership. .....I told the whole story AGAIN about the seals leaking after I got them back and re-installed, plus asked them to look at the steering head bearing -because of the heavy steering. Anyway ... she says that the tire pressure was 20lbs low ...no chit chick, it's been sitting for over a year... bout lost it... but humbly said ok, I'm very anal about tire pressures b4 I ride anywhere but left it open, that maybe.

Went out to look at the bike, walked back in and asked a guy, Jake, behind the counter to come out and look at the bike with me. ... I pointed to the asphalt and showed him the drip directly under the fork and then wiped the btm of of the fork with my fingers and showed him the oil. Then I began to speak in a different language ... ya I was pissed. AND the chick in charge wanted to charge me 80 bucks for filling the front tire and basically writing me off as a dumbazz. -B S

Jake looked embarrassed. He started asking me questions, and probably figured out I'm not a dumbazz old man after all (hey no jokes here haha!)

He then got on the bike and took it around a bit to see if he could feel anything odd/heavy (said maybe a little). He was really cool btw.

The next day I came in to see how it was going. I mentioned that I didn't feel right about giving them 80 bux for nothing. She agreed but said that the (only?) tech was out this week and won't be back until the 24th lol So who diagnosed it the day before? Nobody even looked at it....wow man -weak!!

Oddly, I got a call tonight saying it's done. I'll go in tomorrow and see. ...and who did the work?
----
Steering head bearing check: ..I was told (not from these guys) you can diagnose the bearing by how many degrees it takes before the bars fall away. With the front off the ground turn the bar until it falls away on it's own then measure how far it took before it fell -bearing in mind (no pun intended!) the weight of the brake calipers, etc. Not certain what amount of ° is considered in the normal range. There's absolutely no play at all at the steering head when it was in the garage on the front lift.

After getting the tire out in the outside light ...and with the fender off it's obvious the front tire is worn -in the middle anyway! I ordered a new set of Avon Storm 3D XM's -200 rear -normal size up front, and should have them soon. We'll see but am thinking it will be fine again.

While it's apart I'm re-thinking the LED/HID setup inside the headlight bucket. Parts on order. Want to simplify my wiring too. lol Jake and I had a good laugh about the wires in front. (everything aftermarket is on it's own fuse block, now un-fused). here's a pic of it -try not to flame on me. I did this at a time when life was very difficult. -anyway after the dealership chit, I took the Sled to go play in the forest. :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
it’s crap like this that makes me loose faith in people in general. its like, do you really have to argue with them to get your point across? they can’t be respectful and just try to listen without making assumptions? sorry you’re having to go through this Koggs. some people are just inherent ding dongs. i apologize for my words. if you were close to me i would say bring your Z over to my garage and do the work here. offer stands if your close to georgia. which dealership is it? beaverton??

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks Zee, I appreciate your comments. ...I tell ya. You're right about listening. If she would've just stopped and listened ...arg. I think she heard heavy steering and instantly thought low tire pressure and then tuned out of everything else I said.

Power Motorsports in Sublimity OR.

Today, I was going to speak with the customer service manager, not to rant but to explain why they've now lost a customer, but decided not to and to just wear a smile, for her, and just grab the bike and ride home. I could tell she was pissed at me this morning. But I just smiled, paid nothing, and said thank you.

The tech who worked on it came in just to do the fork seals. --? She wasn't really clear about that. I didn't get into it. Just smiled! (tried to stay focused telling myself to smile!) There was no charge for the service but then she added that they won't do this sort of thing again -I get that for sure but my first thought was, we'd not be having this convo if your team of professionals did it right the first time. Do a better job. But I just smiled and said ok.

I bungeed a small flashlight to the bars and rode it home, 2 miles.

So, the best way I can describe the heavy steering is when you're below 10mph and turn right, or left, the bars -at roughly a 1/4 turn will want to flop that direction. Hoping it's just the tire? and will wait to piece it all back together until after the new tire is on.

I'm going to head out to the garage today and give the 'fall away' method a try.

If I lived close, I'd be there buddy -tnx. One of these days I'm going to head east to the Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge Mtns, etc. great riding so I hear. Maybe even visit Ivan for a tune :) Should be an epic journey. Will post when that happens.

Wow it's been a long time since I was on the Zed. I luv the sound of this thing. -as does the guy who was there delivering it to me. :)

Falling in love all over again haha!! :love::love::love:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guys I need help, I took my Z to the shop to get my new Dunlops mounted and balanced. Dude at the shop told me I need to get my forks rebuild because he noticed "a ton" of oil leaking from the seals, but its not true there is a very thin layer of lubricant or oil but it does not look like a leak, its 600 bucks for the rebuild should I do it or is there another way to check if the forks are actually bad.??

·
Registered
833 Posts
grab the handle bars and front brake, and push up and down stroking the forks. then go and look at the fork seals and see if there is excess oil leaking out. that sounds expensive for replacing a set of fork seals. you might want to get a couple more price quotes to compare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts