Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, i think i need a steering damper ‘cause when i twist the throtle harder the front starts to lift and the whole bike starts to wobble.. does ohlins do steering damper for z1000 or who makes the best steering damper for the z1?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi guys, i think i need a steering damper ‘cause when i twist the throtle harder the front starts to lift and the whole bike starts to wobble.. does ohlins do steering damper for z1000 or who makes the best steering damper for the z1?
you might have other issues, perhaps incorrect wheel alignment, or worn steering bearing, or bent forks or even bent frame. The Z1000 (especially the 4h gen), does not have a very aggressive rake/trail for it to cause speed wobbles under normal conditions. I've significantly changed my bike's geometry, raised rear by over 1" which would have caused my rake to go from 25* degrees to 23.9* degrees, as well as seriously lightened the bike as compared to stock, and I still don't experience speed wobbles, even under very aggressive riding conditions at the race track.

Rather than putting a band-aid in the situation, maybe figure out what is causing the issue in the first place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i don't know if its the same problem , but i found my 2010 was very vulnerable to riding posture under aggressive acceleration as it would get an escalating wobble . i had to teach myself to keep minimal weight on bars and prioritise my legs and back , doing this has fixed my issue as it accelerates stably even while being an ape on it.

if it is the same thing most would recommend a damper , wouldn't hurt to try for the sake of process of elimination.

·
Registered
448 Posts
you might have other issues, perhaps incorrect wheel alignment, or worn steering bearing, or bent forks or even bent frame. The Z1000 (especially the 4h gen), does not have a very aggressive rake/trail for it to cause speed wobbles under normal conditions. I've significantly changed my bike's geometry, raised rear by over 1" which would have caused my rake to go from 25* degrees to 23.9* degrees, as well as seriously lightened the bike as compared to stock, and I still don't experience speed wobbles, even under very aggressive riding conditions at the race track.

Rather than putting a band-aid in the situation, maybe figure out what is causing the issue in the first place.
It could be something prone to all gen 4. Ever since I replaced the heavy stock bar ends with my own lathed aluminium bar ends about 4 years ago, it tends to get a bit wobbly as well like the topic starter described.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hyperpro units should be fine. Ohlins are wonderful too.

that looks like a really nice damper. you have this one? did you buy the progressive or the linear? i didn’t know they offered each type.

·
Registered
448 Posts
that looks like a really nice damper. you have this one? did you buy the progressive or the linear? i didn’t know they offered each type.
They certainly do! Had the linear one on my gen 2. Cant remember why, the linear over progressive, but I was advised by the hyperpro dealer back then.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts