You really don't want to charge a m/c battery with more than 1.5 amps; at least the lead acid typeI ran it dead when I got stranded yesterday. When I got it home I put it on the charger, 12V @ 6amps (battery was only drawing 5 amps tho), and took only a little over an hour to charge. Started the bike to test the stator and it idled fine/reved to 4k fine. Threw my gear on to test it out, and as soon as I let the clutch out it would die. Got angry, went to bed, woke up at 6 this morning and started the bike, let it warm, got on it and went only about 1 mile but no issues.
The battery could very possibly be pretty old. And interesting thing, at idle battery voltage reads 13.5V. Rev the engine to 3k and voltage drops to 12.5V. Stator seems to be fine, but shouldnt the voltage go slighly up when the engine is higher than idle? Also, while voltage at the stator checked out fine, the resistance between the stator coils should be 0.3-0.4ohms according to the service manual, I was measuring at 0.8 ohms across all 3 pairs. I have a really cheap meter so I thought maybe it wasnt reading right.