Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2013 Z1000
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my bike added a tooth to the front sprocket. I understand why as it is still geared pretty low even now but I watch videos of z1000 riders easily ripping the front wheel off the ground without using the clutch in first, second and even third gear (I think? Nobody Moto on YouTube seems to anyway) which makes me a little jealous sometimes. Haha- my bike will do this in first and even second if I really try but it just makes me a little curious if the original gearing would be more fun to ride? I know the tooth adds some top speed but I’m just not the guy running 150 mph down the highway too often. Any opinions on this?

one more question- it is a 2013 with the stock exhaust. The guy I bought it from said the Ivan’s tune will work even better with a full aftermarket exhaust. i assume I would still need to have it tuned on a Dyno if I were to do this? would just doing a slip on really add any power? I don’t care about the sound or styling as much but Id Be willing to do a slip on myself if it is really worth the hassle purely for performance reasons?

· Registered
53 Posts
The rear shock is pretty stiff if you soften it and put a few miles on it it’ll wheelie easier. I don’t think my bike will power up third easily but it definitely stands up in 2nd. Idk I have a 16t front on the shelf as soon as I get the damn nut off I want to change to it for longer distance riding, the bike got a little thirsty after the Ivan’s tune. I think I pretty much have exhausted performance mods and the bikes kind of light in its current state. Full akra system and pair valve block offs plus Ivan’s air box mod. Honestly I think it’ll be more rideable with that set up once you do the exhaust. Unless you’re looking to stunt or go to the drag strip the engine has the torque to push the taller gearing well on a back road

· Registered
53 Posts
Well I haven’t done the wheels yet. Probably take the bike from the 450s wet to maybe the high 430s. Bear in mind you drop 21 lbs roughly with the full system, on a gen 3 that’s a good difference. 480-459 just with that

· Registered
1,267 Posts
If you do an Ivan's tune, just leave it alone. The full Akra exhaust works well with his tune .

Your local guy might have your exact bike in the dyno, but he won't have 10 years working on that specific flash like Ivan does . If my local guy wanted to change anything about my Ivan's flashes, I wouldn't let him do it.

If you notice Ivan's dyno charts, the gains on a stock bike, stock exhaust don't look like they are that much. In reality, they are because the stock bike has throttle restrictions in the lower gears. Once those are gone, the bike feels much better in the lower gears

1 - 5 of 5 Posts