Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
sounds like an unforgettable adventure jimz. the ride is never really complete unless there鈥檚 a breakdown at some point.馃槈 makes for some of the best memories. the way you described it, you guys must have ridden through practically a tornado. my dad lives in ohio, so i know how ugly the weather can be. glad you had such a fantastic trip and your Z was reliable as always. i was looking at this tire repair kit on amazon. only comes with three cartridges though. good to know i鈥檒l need another 3 at least.

Pit Posse PP3167 Motorcycle Tire Repair Kit with Co2 Inflator and Cartridges for Tube and Tubeless Tires, Emergency Roadside Kit, Flat Tire Accessories for Easy Repair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QP47N...abc_SBFA8XF07142CVPMR2E0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
i was looking at this tire repair kit on amazon. only comes with three cartridges though. good to know i鈥檒l need another 3 at least.
I've already got replacement cartridges (std 16 gram co2 stuff), if you're looking for a good kit check out these "Stop and Go" units made for motorcycling. There are two main types it seems, std rope plug or these mushroom inserts.

Motorcycle Tire & Puncture Repair Kits - Stop & Go International

So my buddy has already decided on getting an air pump that hooks up to the SAE plug off the battery, we're looking at one from Aerostich

Pumps & Air Compressors - Tire Repair - Repair : Aerostich RiderWearhouse

looking forward to my next trip already and I really like my Pirelli Angel tires, grips in both wet and dry

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I plan on being in the "Claw of the Dragon" area in western Virginia Thursday and Friday 7/29 and 30th. (2021)

Claw of the Dragon Motorcycle Trail | Visit Wytheville Virginia

you can see from the map (scroll down a little on the link) it crosses three mountain ranges, (that's where the good stuff is at).

If you're in the area and see an orange blur ?, that was us

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Got back from South Western Virginia and a couple days of riding, got in a a little more than 1100 miles on this trip. Great weather (slightly overcast so it wasn't too hot) and near empty roads (passes were easily made when needed) lead to a great time. The part they are calling the "Back of the Dragon" was pretty good, lots of hairpins and switchbacks with elevation changes kept it interesting. Lot's of 2nd / 3rd gear sections and most of the other back roads we used were 3rd / 4th / 5th gear stuff, most I've been on before but a few new ones too. West (by God) Virginia is always a good time and I really enjoyed it it this time as well, sweeping corners and good clean asphalt were a real confidence builder and I felt on top of my game. I tried to concentrate on keeping my revs between 4500 and 7500 rpm so I had both instant accel and engine braking on tap. The Pirelli Angel tires griped very well but I still left about an inch worth of chicken strips. That GT was still able to get away from me when he tried but my near stock Gen1 made a real good showing. We only climbed onto the interstate for about 20 miles once as we always try to avoid it. We did get rained on once back in into Ohio but we just drove through it and dryed ourselves out riding on the other side of it. The bike ran flawlessly, not even one hiccup, well I did blow out my low beam bulb on the last day so no big deal. I really like my bike.

I'm already making as list of things to address right away so I can have a quick turnaround for my next trip, you got to live while you're alive !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Got back from a trip to Appalachian Mtns and I had a great time. Roads were good and traffic was light. What a great area to ride. I tried keeping the bike at 5k and above, it felt good using the lower gears and powering out of the apex鈥檚. We cut our trip a day short because of incoming thunderstorms but still rode wet for about the last two hours of our trip coming home. After finally coming out of the WV mountains and back onto the relatively flat Ohio farmlands, 6th gear felt like an overdrive. I like the Michelin Road 5鈥檚 just fine and it did feel different running a 120/60 at the front, just a little more input needed on the initial turn in but then it seemed to cut in very well. I don鈥檛 know if it was a different aspect ratio or just a different tire profile. The rubber felt planted and I built up some confidence in them and was impressed by their performance in the rain also. I鈥檓 not sure if they are better than Pirelli Angel GT鈥檚 but they cost almost $80 more for just the rear. Speaking of, I've still got about a 3/4 inch chicken strip on it.

We got 950 miles in and I鈥檓 already staring at my maps planning my next route, be it this year or next.

Registered
sounds like another epic ride jimz! glad to hear you are out there put miles on your Z. post some pics of the trip brother. i take it no flat tire on this one? i鈥檝e been looking at michelin鈥檚 tires. those road 5鈥檚 are super popular with tons of positive customer reviews.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
... another quick 2 night trip into SE Ohio, slightly over 500 miles total. Got on some real technical backroads that were nicely paved, 3rd gear seemed to work well on a lot of it. Met up and rode with a guy I used to race sportsters with, he's got a nice Triumph Trophy that goes very smooth in spite of it's size. I had a good time and the weather was great. There was a Sternwheel festival in Marietta (it is on the Ohio river) and we went downtown to eat and enjoy. A little too crowded for my taste but we ate and had a good time. They had a real nice firework display Sat night, it was pretty cool. ...and my bike now has over 20,000 miles on it.

One of my all time favorite picnic areas

here's the bridge I hid out from a hailstorm on a previous trip

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Damn it Zee, that pic has nothing top do with sport touring or this thread,....

love ya man,...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts