Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love to take trips on my Gen1 Z

I just got back from a trip to the WV - VA area and had a great time. 1150 miles total

A KTM GT and a Triumph Speed Triple provided a good pace.

(old photo)

tall windscreen, high bars, heated grips, usb plug for gps, corbin seat and it 's good to go

Does anybody else use their Z as a sport tourer ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love the bike Jimz. Currently working on doing some sport touring mods to my 03 Z1000 for an upcoming trip a few weeks from now from Vancouver, BC down through Washington, back up through part of the cascades and then to Banff and back. Already have heated grips, just installed USB chargers (on the handlebar and under the seat), Ordered a Puig windscreen and I'm currently fabricating a rear rack to use my Cortech saddle/tail bags. Just finished one side and part way done the other and it's turning out really good so far. I'm also contemplating swapping out my bar end mirrors for weights from my Katana and putting the stock mirrors back on but I hate how those things look, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm currently fabricating a rear rack to use my Cortech saddle/tail bags.
Your setup looks great, I'd rather have saddle bags than draping a tail bag to the rear seat as I'm doing now.

Where are you attaching it to ?, the rear footpeg bolt ?

How did the trip go ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recently got back from a trip to Deal's Gap, good time ! Great roads coming and going, found some stuff I'd love to revisit. Ended up with 1335 miles, 1/8 inch chicken strips and great memories. Back roads all the way, only had to jump on the 4 lane for a few miles.

It was Mazda Miata weekend at the gap, awesome good looking sport cars, club members said about 450 - 500 were expected to show, all hotels in the area were sold out. They were a good bunch and allways used the pullovers when I came up on them. On the down side, I didn't see a single other Z bike all week.

I pack 4 sets of undies, socks and t-shirts, shorts, sweats and shoes, toiletries; it's really all I need, traveling light but comfortably. I squeeze an electric vest in there for the fall weather.

somewhere in the south west corner of VA

·
Registered
173 Posts
I’ve used my gen3 for several trips to deals gap and a week in Colorado. Sometimes we do point to point and most times we’ve stayed in one place and done day trips. I have some saddlebags and brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
My touring setup is for sale if anyone wants to get into sport touring on a gen3. The bike is for sale too. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, there is a great road (209 south out of Hot Springs NC) they're calling the Snake which is tighter than the Dragon, well worth the travel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Another trip into the appalachia’s mtns last week, 1020 miles total. We based out of Elkins WV, took the long way there.

I think RT 250 over the mtns is one of the best roads there is, I always love taking it. RTs 33 and 39 are two others going directly across both ranges, I definitely enjoy this area even more than the Deal's Gap area.

(Ash Cave area of Hocking Hills St park in SE Ohio)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like you've been on some wicked trips this summer Jimz! My trip through the Cascades and Alberta was awesome. Other than a loose fuel line that made itself present just before hitting the border everything was smooth sailing. Definitely planning to do some more touring on this thing next year. Think I'll look into getting a Corbin at some point soon. My butt will appreciate it. 20190730_135912_1569208820461.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Btw my rear rack mounts to the bolts on the rear passenger pegs and the license plate holder. It held up quite well but I think I'm going to try and reinforce it some more and I'd love to come up with a way to mount a fuel canister somewhere. Sorry didn't really take many pictures when I was fabbing it up but you can kind of see here how it mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
tripping

My trip through the Cascades and Alberta was awesome.
Great pics First, looks like some epic views in that area. Is that a sportster I see in the group pic ? I dig sportsters, had two of them, raced both, set a record at Bonneville on one of them.

Get the Corbin, expensive but worth it, I generally prefer Sargent seats but Corbin's the only game in town for our 1st Gens. I like mine, my bony butt hated the stock seat, replaced it first thing after buying my bike.

I like your bag setup, definitely allows you to take a lot of gear with you. Nice fab job on the brackets, are you a welder ?

Where do you call home?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow completely missed that. My bad, better late than never, haha. That's actually my friends heavily modified Virago 750 with a Yamaha Seca tank but I can definitely see how it looks like a Sportster. I'm not actually a welder. Just a hack who has access to one, lol. I'm planning on making some modifications to the rack for this upcoming season and I'd like to modify it to mount a small fuel canister on each side. I actually discovered I can use it with my Cortech bags to carry my fishing gear which I'm quite stoked about. Btw I'm from good old dirty Surrey British Columbia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts