Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a speedo healer work?
I changed my gearing and now im running about 10mph slower than my speedo. I got beside a newer civic with a digital dash one night and used that to base my speed difference.
Id like to get my speedo right but im not sure about how the healers work or install.
Any insight guys?

·
Registered
522 Posts
The best way to learn about em is youtube, but here goes my take...The unit plugs in to the speed sensor, which on gen 3 is at the front sprocket....follow the harness under the tank and unplug it...connect the spedo healer harness in between ...lastly take correction figure from speedo healer site and enter it to unit...See youtube video..it corrects in real time and drives the speedometer to the correction factor....my bike is 5mph slow....60 mph shown at 65...divide shown by actual and the correction factor is 0.92
if you are fast then i suppose you put in a minus correction figure...Point is, it is easy...The hardest part is getting to the harness...I think this is like a 10 minute install....and 2 minute program...Takes longer to set a watch!!!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
yeah i think u also have to input gear ratios & tire sizes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This will be helpful for me. My healer arrived the day before I returned to work *sigh*. And my sprockets have arrived too since I left. Only another week and a bit and I can get at it again :D

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Will be no problem for you to install.....

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think I'll be going with SpeedoDRD when I decide to pull the trigger on one. Simple, small, waterproof, and less $$$ than a speedohealer. Impute your gearing and tire size on their website and you get a calculation offset number. Enter it into the device and your good to go.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The thing I wonder about that, and with the speedohealer too .. when you input the gearing (for instance with me going from 15/42 to 16/40 it's a 6.2% difference) how does that compensate for the general speedo error from factory? Or is that a part of the calculation?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not sure about the speedohealer but the DRD has a spot where you can impute the stock error %...if you know what it is.

here's the calculation link for all if you want to check it out.
12oclockLabs

·
Registered
229 Posts
The speedo healer site has different methods as well. I'm just curious about the stock speedo error. Say if it's out by 10%. I regear and get my correction factor of +6.2%, I'm still out by 10% overall right or am I only out by the difference (or in the case of gearing lower, by the sum).

So if my speedo stock reads 10% fast, and I regear to something that's 6.2% slower, presumably I could simply input a -3.8% to have a bang on speedo yes?

I'm guessing my best bet is to just use the precision method with a GPS and calculate my correction factor to assure my speedo reads right.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
are u running a 190/55 or 190/50 rear tire? i know u went to a 15 tooth crank sprocket, is the rear sprocket 42 tooth?

·
Registered
402 Posts
So if my speedo stock reads 10% fast, and I regear to something that's 6.2% slower, presumably I could simply input a -3.8% to have a bang on speedo yes?
To me, you are correct. I believe the speedohealer(whichever brand) only takes into account the gearing change and tire size since no bike manufacturer speedo is the same...That said, some have a place to impute the calculation for the error of the stock speedo as well. That should all compound to give you your correct reading.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Easy speedohealer

Your speedohealer works by getting plugged in between the sensor and the speedometer - it takes the train of electrical pulses coming in, measures the frequency, applies a correction factor and sends the corrected frequency to the speedometer. To configure it, ride your bike with a gps or iphone with speedo app, run the bike up to some speed (say 75 mph) on the gps and remember what your speedometer was reading at the time. Then use HealTech's online calculator and tell it the actual and indicated speed. It will give you a correction factor to enter into the speedohealer using the buttons on the unit. Healtech makes a nice product.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread but there seems to be some misleading information in the content. So,,, I'm here to save the day !!?????? (LOL):lol:

"You" have to measure or calculate the correction factor (percentage) that you want to enter into the speedo calibration unit. You can calculate this by using the before/after gear ratio's + estimated stock error, or just use a GPS to get your accurate speed, then compare to indicated speed to get your error percentage. You do not input gear sizes directly into the Speedo Calibration unit.

According to my gps im running 10-11 mph slower than indicated.
This info is incomplete. To get a percentage (error factor) you need to know the indicated speed where your speedo is off by 10-11 mph. Example: a 10 mph error at an indicated 20mph is an error or 50%, where as a 10 mph error at an indicated 100 mph is a 10% error.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just replaced the 15T-42T sprocket combination of my 2012 Z1000 to 16T-42T. I ran with my buddy and my Speedometer was reading 80 KPH (49.7 MPH) while his was registering 100 KPH (62.1 MPH).

So Just today I ordered a Speedo Healer from Healtech, SH-V4 + SH-KO1. Will now need to do some research and readings on how to calibrate and get my correct calibration values.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you run 16/42 your speedo is wright on the money. You can use your gps to check it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
That's what I actually thought but when I ran the bike I could feel the disconnect because i know i was going really fast and the speedometer was registering slower speeds, but that was subjective.

So I rode with a buddy who was running with a GPS and asked him to cruise at 100 KPH , I ran the same pace with him and his speedometer/GPS was spot on 100 KPH and mine was only 80 KPH, this confirmed my initial findings.

I guess all "Z's" released on the Asian market had accurate speedometer calibrations to start with. Hence I really need to correct it, just waiting for my order (speedoHealer) to be shipped.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's what I actually thought but when I ran the bike I could feel the disconnect because i know i was going really fast and the speedometer was registering slower speeds, but that was subjective.

So I rode with a buddy who was running with a GPS and asked him to cruise at 100 KPH , I ran the same pace with him and his speedometer/GPS was spot on 100 KPH and mine was only 80 KPH, this confirmed my initial findings.

I guess all "Z's" released on the Asian market had accurate speedometer calibrations to start with. Hence I really need to correct it, just waiting for my order (speedoHealer) to be shipped.
I have to correct myself here, I downloaded an android app "android-speedometer" and had a short run and found that my Speedometer and GPS speeds are not that far off, my speedometer registering 69kph and the GPS registering 70-71kph (+1.4% calibration only) :

So "zephyrboy738" you are right with the 16/42 being close to being spot on. Nonetheless the SpeedoHealer had been ordered and it is on its way here already, so might as well use it still.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is there any particular reason they don't just base the speed from the front wheel?

Even if you changed your gearing ratios, it would still be accurate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts