Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When buying a used bike, sellers often brag about many aftermarket do-dads and modified this and that.
Such was the case with a bike I recently bought boasting a Hinson clutch basket and rekluse hub and core exp 2.0
Having already torn down the top and check everything out looked good and in spec, cleaned carb and ran great.
Well the bike made a horrendous la chunk sound last week as the case cracked from the inside and began bleeding oil and revved motionless while in gear.
I open it up to find this

Got pounded into the case by the oil pump gear.
I couldn't figure where or what this could have come from. I'm not aware of any bolt that looks like this in there. Then I snooped around and found the basket didn't seem to sit right so I pulled it off and found this

Ok mystery solved where the bolt came from. The remaining two came out with my oily latex fingertips, as well as the broken portion of the case cracker

Thanks for nothing guy, ever hear of loctite? I guess what I'm saying is, modifications are all well and good, depending on WHO is doing the
mods. I texted the guy and said wtf and is there anything else he did that I need to go QC? Some people should not work on motorcycles if they don't know what they are doing! If I ever buy a used bike again I'm taking it down to the crank!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thats a shame. Hinson has instructions for red loctite and tells you to clean, clean clean and use plenty. If done CORRECTLY, this is a basket that will last a lifetime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts