Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Bike went in for the MOT last week, and the chap noticed there was oil on the left side (looking from the front) of the engine. He said nothing to worry about, until I said it was on PCP, and I was going to buy the bike in October, at which point he said the engine may need to come out, ergo pricey. Bikes done very little mileage, 5k, and is new from 2017.

Attached some piccies if that helps. Just wondering, was he being overly concerned, I should I serioulsy reconsider paying off the payment, and just return it...

This has definitely been on the bike for a while, I noticed it at least December last year when she went in for the first major service, I said I'd noticed a slight burning smell, but they never commented or noticed it.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
IF you had enough trust on them doing the Service, what waa their opinion when you asked them a second time?

If they thinks its OK, it must be not a concern & is it a leak emanating there or a deposit point for oil debris off the road?

Surely they pressure tested everything under load?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I really doubt that it's from the case halves, for which the engine would need to come out in order for the cases to be split and sealant re-applied. But like I said, I don't think that's where the oil is coming from, it might just be pooling in that area.

Clean that area really good, maybe with some engine degreaser and wash it with a pressure washer and then check back again after a ride or two to better pinpoint where the leak is coming from. It might even be fork oil, or road grime.

Also, you can change the oil and use Motul's Factory Line, which has fluorescent UV die agent in it, and then with a UV light you can really pinpoint the source of the oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I cleaned it last week and so far, no new oil, but have not been on a longish run yet. I haven't been back to the shop who last serviced her, but plan on calling them tomorrow just to get their take on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts