Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
so what’s your long term report using the versys gear box?
all in all very good would recommend. i've noticed a nice improvement in fuel economy in both normal use / highway cruising , fair bit more comfortable to cruise faster than motorway speeds and it feels as though the bike is better utilising its grunt with the longer mid-upper gears. 6th gear can still comfortable sit at 40kph and float away with minimal input which is cooked xD.

if you are performance minded , roll on performance can take a small hit at lower speeds from 3rd gear up thanks to the longer spacing , though i pre-emptively tried to make up for this with the engine work (happy with that). New redlines are 115-151-194-225-???-??? (this is with the 55 rear tyre and higher redline), 5th still had plenty to go after 250kph so thats interesting and something i'll properly figure out one day.

the different gear ratio's seemed to have stuffed my gear indicator which goes 1-2-3-5-6-6 so i end up having to guess which 6 im in unless i remember cruising rpm's. as a side note i backcut this gearbox on both accel/decel sides which in lack of better words has made shifting feel more "clicky" which i like. I was recommended this by my mechanic to hopefully help with the chocolate 4th gear problem so whether or not it helps we'll see in due time (no problem in 11kkm's so far).

• Wow
Reactions: zmky and Koggs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you! Yeah I love the matte blue very nice. I do have a small indent on the lower crease of my fuel tank and a little scuff on the headlight cluster but it is barely noticeable, expect of course to me lol. I want to put the belly pan mod on my bike as well so I'm thinking of just ordering the whole fairing set and have my boy paint it, it helps having your own mechanic/painter who happens to own his own painting company. But yeah I really have been thinking about that belly pan. Something about it, makes it super unique I think

·
Registered
833 Posts
all in all very good would recommend. i've noticed a nice improvement in fuel economy in both normal use / highway cruising , fair bit more comfortable to cruise faster than motorway speeds and it feels as though the bike is better utilising its grunt with the longer mid-upper gears. 6th gear can still comfortable sit at 40kph and float away with minimal input which is cooked xD.

if you are performance minded , roll on performance can take a small hit at lower speeds from 3rd gear up thanks to the longer spacing , though i pre-emptively tried to make up for this with the engine work (happy with that). New redlines are 115-151-194-225-???-??? (this is with the 55 rear tyre and higher redline), 5th still had plenty to go after 250kph so thats interesting and something i'll properly figure out one day.

the different gear ratio's seemed to have stuffed my gear indicator which goes 1-2-3-5-6-6 so i end up having to guess which 6 im in unless i remember cruising rpm's. as a side note i backcut this gearbox on both accel/decel sides which in lack of better words has made shifting feel more "clicky" which i like. I was recommended this by my mechanic to hopefully help with the chocolate 4th gear problem so whether or not it helps we'll see in due time (no problem in 11kkm's so far).
sounds like it better fits your application with the motorcycle. makes me think of the suzuki 1000gt. that’s kind of similar sounding in their k5 engine. little more long stretched in the high speed.

you should start a post on your engine modes. that would be interesting to hear more…🐒

·
Registered
33 Posts
sounds like it better fits your application with the motorcycle. makes me think of the suzuki 1000gt. that’s kind of similar sounding in their k5 engine. little more long stretched in the high speed.

you should start a post on your engine modes. that would be interesting to hear more…🐒
to save making a thread

it was pretty much just making the intake tract more efficient so tidying the cylinder head / enlarging the throttle bodies in conjunction with the airbox mod, if i did something extremely interesting i'd make a thread about it , its just difficult to do too much to these engines in regards to bore/stroke or salvaging parts from other bikes due to the engines odd dimensions (tight internal clearances).

looked into cams or enlarging the ports in the cyl head but that is a trade more than a flat gain as well as being one hell of a rabbit hole , turbo'ing was on the cards but maybe if i get pissed off with it enough for having to take the engine out lol , see what happens.

a fairly worthy note - i hadn't actually done the airbox mod until some time after the rebuild due to mechanics talking me out of it then me changing my mind , but it seems there is considerable restriction in the factory airbox. The cylinder head/tb work alone seemed to have very little impact on top end (moved peak earlier but didn't really make it larger) but had considerable change to mid range , the airbox mod afterwards really livened up the top end with something like 7hp difference with the largest effect from 8k and up.

also ironically still uses less fuel than it did before said rebuild o_O

Reactions: zmky

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2006 z1000 not sure which gen but can you tell me which brembo calipers and brake pads fit on my bike? Same ones as yours I'm guessing thats why I ask. Also where you got them from..thanks brotha

21 - 40 of 53 Posts