Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki Z1000 ABS 2008
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people, first time post here, coming at you with question.

So I bought this 2nd hand Z1000 '08 model a few months ago. Having experienced a Z750 before, I love this type of bike.

Anyway, this bike was pimped out from the start by its previous owner. Also a great and loud sounding exhaust from MIVV. Downside I noticed is the incredible performance dip when accelerating from standstill. In normal circumstance, the RPM takes a deep dive, and as soon I start moving a bit, RPM recovers and I launch away.

Since someone told me years ago that its a good idea to do some tuning if you have an aftermarket exhaust, I went and go and did some chiptuning on this bike. Lots of money gone, having a 2hp increase and earlier fuel injection (3 degrees earlier than stock), the guys that did the tuning claimed I gained more torque at higher speeds.

After driving for a few months, I do have the feeling that the performance increased overall.

But here comes the kicker: While talking motorcycle performances with a colleague at work, looking back at my performance graph and that of stock Z1000, my performance is way below average. Noticing this, I'm now quite worried that something is either wrong, or performance dip is caused by the exhaust and everything is to be expected.

The exhaust in question is a double Mivv Sport GP exhaust, without the butterfly valve mounted. I'll add the performance report of the tuning down below. Can someone explain what I'm experiencing?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
How many miles on the bike? They only made like 110-115ish stock so your bike isn’t that far down on power. It could be worn out a little, bad plugs and filter will rob you a bit too but I don’t think other than being a little old anything is wrong with that graph

·
Registered
Kawasaki Z1000 ABS 2008
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on the bike? They only made like 110-115ish stock so your bike isn’t that far down on power. It could be worn out a little, bad plugs and filter will rob you a bit too but I don’t think other than being a little old anything is wrong with that graph
Bike has a bit less than 40000 km on the counter, and I installed a K&N - KA-1003 Air Filter after the tuning. Air-fuel mixture is quite rich, more than before the tuning.

Not sure last time the valve clearance got checked and oil change happened, I could try that soon enough. Maybe check sparkplugs while I'm at it. I only fill up with V-power, previous experiences proved that lower quality fuel truly affects performance...

·
Registered
388 Posts
What I'm not seeing on this dyno is the fuel / air mixture graph which I see on most dyno graphs.

I'm not sure it is adjusted correctly, who did your "chip tuning" as I'm not sure even Ivan has a flash for an 08. His web site doesn't list one and for an 03 -06 requires a PC3 unit for proper tuning, options for an 08 aren't even listed. I doubt your bike is set up correctly.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Z1000 ABS 2008
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I'm not seeing on this dyno is the fuel / air mixture graph which I see on most dyno graphs.

I'm not sure it is adjusted correctly, who did your "chip tuning" as I'm not sure even Ivan has a flash for an 08. His web site doesn't list one and for an 03 -06 requires a PC3 unit for proper tuning, options for an 08 aren't even listed. I doubt your bike is set up correctly.
Not sure what you mean with "Ivan", sorry for that. But I do know they tuned the chip itself, no Power commander or another external device, and I think they didn't flash a different profile. We took out the ECU and hooked it up to their PC, and they adjusted air-fuel and injection timing. I trust that they know what they are doing. Don't get me wrong, not here to shoot down your posts tho.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If these bikes are rich they’ll be down on power. They took the ecu out and put a canned map on it? Because that can totally be the problem, I had the pc5 in my bike and ran the proper canned map. Before my full exhaust. Bike was way down on power and I noticed the map for my slip ons was twice as rich as both other slip ons and stock maps for the bike. Went to the other map and gained easily 20 hp back. Ivan’s tune is solid though it’s a shame he doesn’t make anything for the 2nd gen, that said I wouldn’t trust a canned map from anyone else. Dynoing the bike right there is another story. My 2 cents. Also yeah 40k km it could be ready for valve service. But these kawis usually have pretty solid top ends. My 3rd gen has 22k miles and the valves sound superb.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Not sure what you mean with "Ivan"
He is THE guy to flash your stock ECU, He is considered by many to be the best out there. If he flashes your ECU you don't need a PC3 or PC5 tuning module

Ivan's Performance Products

for our Z1000's. he can only do 2010 models and up, for 03 to 08's we're just out of luck

I have never heard of someone tuning a Gen1 or Gen2 Z1000 ECU, I have heard of people adjusting the 2ndary butterflies though

·
Registered
Kawasaki Z1000 ABS 2008
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If these bikes are rich they’ll be down on power. They took the ecu out and put a canned map on it? [...]
He is THE guy to flash your stock ECU, He is considered by many to be the best out there. If he flashes your ECU you don't need a PC3 or PC5 tuning module

Ivan's Performance Products

for our Z1000's. he can only do 2010 models and up, for 03 to 08's we're just out of luck

I have never heard of someone tuning a Gen1 or Gen2 Z1000 ECU, I have heard of people adjusting the 2ndary butterflies though

They actually adjusted the ECU itself. Was standing next to them. Don't think they put another map on it, they also advertise on their website not opting for other devices. We did a stock run, and based on those performances, they adjusted some stuff, and did 2 runs with some changes inbetween. They also measured the exhaust gasses to see how rich the mixture was. At first it was unreadable, but dialed it down to a high but acceptable ratio.

I can send them an email that the performance is a bit of a let-down, and im worried about air-fuel mixture. Or just ask them what they actually changed, but I doubt they remember after a few months.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had 2 z1000 from 2007 prior to my 2015. On both i put the same mivv gp pro exhaust. The first had 17k kilometers on it and the 2nd one around 25k. On both i never had any prerformance loss like you described.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kawasaki Z1000 ABS 2008
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Where are you at? What city, state, or country. Back when the bike was built, some countries had 100hp restrictions.....interesting that yours is close to that restricted level......?
Makes sense now I think about it. I do know that the bike is imported by the previous owner, not sure the country of origi

edit: after some calls, I discovered the bike is from Belgium, and they have this max 100hp restriction. But the strange thing is, is that when it got registered for the first time, it was originally 106hp. Is there any way to confirm and thus remove the limitation?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I never knew the specifics on the z1000. On some bikes, ot was as easy as removing a piece that stopped the throttle opening 100%.

They could have also restricted it in the bikes ecu. In that case, you would need to replace it, or have someone flash it....that might not be possible? Replacement would be best if it is that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts