Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
The Gen4 zed actually has a channel from the factory that the hoses run in so fit is perfect. Hose length is important to mount up though. That is if you shock manufacturer has taken this into account or just setting up a multi fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey Ash - can you take some more photos of the view around the shock (pull back a little bit though) im curious to see how it all looks when its in....

rcannon: yeah - that's one thing I was looking at last night on my rsv4.....last week when I went out on it (after fitting the nitron race pro) as good as it was I felt it was sitting up on the rear...probably down to the previous lad using it for racing so im guessing it had more of a track stance - I backed the preload off about a good 5 turns, and also from a central point went 5 clicks + on the rebound - and went out again yesterday - not as much pressure on my wrists but felt a lot softer (more like it was absorbing the bumps...) It felt a little more "level" too, also good.

There is a you tube video of the full nitron system on mine and it looks like the preload and the damping canister bolt onto the same mount and then it uses the footpeg mount on the left hand side to mount the pair...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lBnW2O6JYE&index=6&list=LL_mli8rZC0OS_fZPkAChfxw

In summary - I don't really know much about suspension - im not a clever-enough-rider to ride it, and then know exactly what to change. To me either either "feels good" or not...but, I thought if I got some good suspension that's fully adjustable then its a good basis to learn and I think that's starting to happen with the rsv4 ive made changes and I can very subtly start to feel the differences in the settings changes im making - the zed was going to be the one I was going to get the shock for but the top end race pro appeared second hand and looked literally brand new and was a step up on the ohlins oem shock so I couldn't pass up on the chance....

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Comfy, thats the ticket. Now your preload is set just right, but lets say you feel the back is still too high, or still too low. The shock length adjust lets you do raise, or lower, without changing the perfect preload setting. Lots of the ss bikes come with a 5mm washer looking thing you can put under a shock mount. We're not so lucky in stock form.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Penske!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for that.... Its nice to see pics of aftermarket rear shocks on zed's (you never see them!) more please.... By the way, i reckon the bracket that nitron sell might fit yours... ie you can bolt it to the footpeg hanger....

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Well, deal is now done, have to wait 2 weeks for delivery.... Cant wait! Lots of pic's to follow!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thats great.... Just to see how an aftermarket shock and canisters look.... Theres no real pics anywhere and as weve all said not many options either...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Been away for the week... My mate at work has just mailed me to say the shock has been delivered.... I'll be going into the office later.....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Another hour before i get home.... Empty the car, get bike out, get to work, get home... Fit the shock... That's my plan... Oh... And take a **** load of photos...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well.... Got it.... What a work of engineering... Beautiful... Not gonna get time to fit it tonight.... But heres a few pics....

More to come....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Thats not like candy in a candy store, is it. I cant wait for a ride report.
Ill try my best (pressures on now) as ive said before im not expert enough to translate what im feeling into words apart from "yep, that feels better..." or "no, thats crap/worse..." but ill try my best.... Just watching rossi kick marquez off his bike atm.... Its like a soap opera with bikes thrown in.... Great stuff...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Your off base on this one.

I KNOW what it will feel like as I have a good shock.

Your not being a professional writer and tester is what makes me want to hear your opinion.

Its a mean question to ask someone, to be honest. The cost of the shock is way too high to ever justify.

It really is. You cant ever call 1000-1200 spent on a 10,000 dollar machine to be a good value, a smart decision, or a great idea.

Then you go for a short ride. Suddenly you wish you had the last 1000 miles as a do over and regret not buying it sooner.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ok. Got an hour this afternoon... I had to nip into work ironically to get a shock...! So, first thing.... Smoother, much smoother. I deliberately went over road s that know are bad. There are 2 really bad ones, one going into the local supermarket.... To be decorative theyve put a line of bricks every 5m or so across the road (sunk in) and the road turns a corner at the same time..... This causes the zed's rear to skip, not any more though, stays on its line and the feeling through the seat is severely muted as it were. Same with a large roundabout near work where the tarmac is knackered.... This causes the zed to wobble mid roundabout.... Thats also gone. Headed over to a big roundabout underneath the motorway. Knee went down easily... In fact almost too easily. The nice thing is while im riding i can get to all the shock settings apart from the rebound so i can make adjustments while im riding which is really good as i can feel the difference while im riding. The other thing like with my rsv4 with the now, changed nitron on that.... Arse is more comfortable.... Didnt feel the need to shift my weight around (which is what i do when i start to become uncomfortable). So, its made a comfortable bike yet more comfortable!

Cost: ive got no problem with the cost... Im a firm believer of "you get what you pay for".... And i think that couldn't be more true in this case....

Ill post up more as i get used to it. Otherwise brilliant! Well chuffed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I installed the YSS. I had a very good compare on zx-10r with Ohlins. YSS worked on same level.
On site said that it for 14-16 years only, but all is the same for 2017.
But install was really tuned hand-made journey.
The shock fit perfectly, but the regulators had not correct brackets.
For HPA regulators I ordered the bracket from z1000R, the mounting holes weren't correct, so I used argon welding, made new and paint it again.
For adjustment regulator I made a bracket from duralumin cylinder, painted black.
For HPA regulator I ordered 3D printing cover cap, and fused stainless steel 5 mm long nut, welding around with 8mm nut.
YSS workes better then Ohlins ka434 on z1000r and very much better than stock absorber,I tested it.

The correct cap was done only after 3d try.
In the end, I got good shock for good price, with pretty installation.
Screenshot_20210412_200639_com.android.chrome.jpg
IMG_20210614_195533.jpg
IMG_20210614_195528.jpg
IMG_20201019_145709.jpg

41 - 57 of 57 Posts