Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Could anyone please let me know what the recommended rider sag values should be used for the front and rear suspension on my GEN four? I looked on the Internet but I see a lot of different numbers out there and I’m not sure what to believe so I could really appreciate some help with this as i want to set for my riding weight with gear. I’ve read were some people don’t set the rider SAG but just use the zip tie and a hard brake test and make sure that they don’t go past the end of the stroke.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I usually aim for between 25-30mm front and rear with me on the bike. I set sag before I do any fiddling with damping.

·
Registered
252 Posts
for a sport bike (if you assume that our Z1000 is a sportbike), you want 35-40mm front and 25mm rear RIDER SAG. You adjust rider sag, and then let static sag (bike on its own weight without rider) be what it is. You only change static sag is you ain't got none. As in if you're too heavy for the springs and once adjusted to rider sag properly you end up with 0mm of static sag, then you change springs for a stiffer one.

Generally static sag you want to end up with 15-20mm front and 5-10mm in the rear. But like I said, always adjust for rider sag first, and if static sag is out of whack, then change springs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think I said that incorrectly then. It’s rider sag that I’m setting not static. I will go ahead and make the adjustments then. Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it. cheers!

·
Registered
252 Posts
the zip tie method is only for track use where you brake incredibly hard (over 1.5g's according to my AIM dash) at the end of the straights. It would be very hard to replicate that on the streets without front wheel lock up as there is not enough rubber down on the pavement to achieve those kind of braking forces. If you are bottoming out your stroke on the streets then your spring is way too soft or your preload setting is way off.

First set rider sag, then see if static sag is within the range above, if not then change springs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found a good article on how to measure the SAG. Thanks again everyone.

...and more info

·
Registered
252 Posts
I found a good article on how to measure the SAG. Thanks again everyone.

...and more info

View attachment 85150
they are right, for street riding 30-40mm front and rear is appropriate, for more spirited riding most people jack up the rear a bit to 25mm to put more support on for heavy acceleration so that it doesn't collapse and negate the anti-squat properties of the swing arm. You'll be fine with either, suspension is all about "fine tuning" for your liking and needs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts