Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

Seating room on our bikes.....

6K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  daskraut 
#1 ·
I was relaxing at the local riding hot-spot Saturday while taking a break form my Ninja 1K break-in milage tasks when a ZX6R pulls in, the guy dismounts and I notice his seating area is about 2-3 inches longer than ours!. Well, as my "boys" were still recovering from the compression they feel when I ride, I got irritated, esp when noticing ALOT of sportbikes have more room than us. As it is, I am contemplating modding the passenger seat lip that faces my backside just to give me a precious extra 3/4 inch of space!. Now before you tell me to eat a carrot, I must admit I am on a diet for this reason!.

#5 ·
Well, being built like a linebacker does not help. The forward slant is a huge problem, I am constantly getting the "boys" jammed into the tank:mad:, then they would migrate and I would have to pull over and adjust, not fun!.. What will make you laugh, the cure to keep from getting all jammed up and ruptured is I have to wear an athletic supporter!!. I know, too much info, but I bet you laughed!:D

#22 ·
What will make you laugh, the cure to keep from getting all jammed up and ruptured is I have to wear an athletic supporter!!. I know, too much info, but I bet you laughed!:D
Who's laughing? I ride with a cup at all times. Part of the minimum gear for some number of years. Guess what takes the first impact if a car takes a left in front of you and you t-bone it?? :eek: Ask me how I know. :( ..just remember...stand/jump b4 impact.. :2cents: :cool:

#6 ·
I ride a first gen Z1K, and weigh 252lbs and am 6'1" I do not experience the problem you speak of..... I am sorry to hear there is an issue. Maybe you should ditch the plastics, and get naked!? :dontknow:

#7 ·
My '07 came used with a black seat cover. It was a bit ruff and a snap on and off the throttle would put a skidmark on my taint! I switched to a Corbin for that and several reasons. Now no skidmarks, I don't slide around cuz it is built a little like a saddle you sit into and it is more comfortable too. Ya gotta protect them boys!

#8 ·
I don't think the bike is cramped but it isn't a GL either. The pegs are high and the riding position is pretty much fixed. You can move side to side but not forward and back very easily. Being old I have a different problem. The edges of the seat bite into my legs in such a way that it cuts off the circulation to the boys if I ride very far.

THAT is uncomfortable...

#10 ·
If you take a good look, you will notice that those sport bikes are typically older models. Most new bikes these days are going to smaller and smaller passenger accommodations - due to the look of the recent MotoGP bikes with the minimal tail section. That's why the tail end on our bikes look so small - even my 03 Z had a larger passenger seat than this 2010 does.

Doesnt bother me, as I hardly ever take a passenger, and if I do, its THEM thats uncomfortable, not me!

#14 · (Edited)
I'm a little on the chubby side (6'1", 250) and not having any "space issues" to speak of. Although I gotta wonder why they even bothered with the passenger seat on the Z. Really....who in the hell could ride back there?!? My effing iPhone barely fits under the damn seat!

RE: the nutcrunch situation... Try wearing a cup (those things baseball players and MMA fighters wear.) Seriously....gives the boys room to relax during those longer rides.

Edit: Read comments on page 2...bishes beat me on some thoughts. ;-)

#16 ·
The Sports Monkey dot com (not hypered b/c I dunno this site's rules about linking non-supporting vendors ;-) sells a nice Rawlings compression short / cup combo for only $16 + ship. The cup is surrounded by foam padding so it won't press into your thighs and cutoff circulation. Plus the compression short itself helps with low-back support and posture during the ride. It's what I wear. Ordered a few sets of them since shipping is like $10....shame to only get one; and that way I don't have to reuse dirty stuff on consecutive riding days. Bad visual, I know....but you get the idea.

#19 ·
"Dongo", BWAHAHAHA!!. Sounds like an Australian beer!!. I have no idea how it is to be worn, I just know there will be no more fear of hard braking!. I tossed the wife on back today and did a quick 60 miler to have an early breakfast in the Malibu hills, just with the "support" on, it is such a huge help in keeping from rupturing myself while sliding around the seat during cornering.

#20 ·
I would love to see a Corbin (or that other seat maker that I can't remember, Sargent?) review for the 3rd gen Zed.

Daskraut: the Zed does tend to shove us forward, I think the Corbin would be a huge upgrade, I rode the first year Z (03?) and felt I was sitting on a slide, that would have been my first mod on that one.

Also Daskraut, yours is a diffrent seat than the Z1k, thicker I think, I remember reading that.
Zoid = 6'3@190

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.