Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2008 Z1000 ABS. Im planing to change valve cover seal because it started to leak. What else would you recommend to change "while im there". I was thinking of ordering spark plug valves and exhaust valves (sounds like one of them are bad so i`ll just change all of them).
Also i got the service manual, would needle point torque wrench would be ok or should I get more specific ones?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I prefer a torque wrench with a preset knob. But if this works you, then stick with it. Are you going to change all valves or check your valve clearance and replace shims?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer a torque wrench with a preset knob. But if this works you, then stick with it. Are you going to change all valves or check your valve clearance and replace shims?

I wasn't planning on it. It has 10k km on it if it changes anything.
I have only checked valve clearance once and it was on old moped. Whats the possibility of messing something up too much? :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you stick to the service manual for shim limits, you cant rwally **** up much. On the other hand 10k is nowhere near the valve cleance check

·
Registered
101 Posts
It does no harm to check valve clearances if you are lifting the lid anyway,but I'd be amazed if any adjustment was needed at 10k. My ZX10R was still within tolerance at 23k.

Incidentally,you won't 'hear' a valve go out of adjustment,shims wear tighter and thus quieter,rather than the tappets of yesteryear which became wider and rattled.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2008 Z1000 ABS. Im planing to change valve cover seal because it started to leak. What else would you recommend to change "while im there". I was thinking of ordering spark plug valves and exhaust valves (sounds like one of them are bad so i`ll just change all of them).
Also i got the service manual, would needle point torque wrench would be ok or should I get more specific ones?
Post some pictures of your bike brother love to see...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Incidentally,you won't 'hear' a valve go out of adjustment,shims wear tighter and thus quieter,rather than the tappets of yesteryear which became wider and rattled.
Some mechanics still diagnose valve adjustments by ear, kinda the if I can't hear it it don't need adjusting thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts